View Poll Results: The Greatest Victories of the Ottoman Empire?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bapheus 1301

0 0%
  • Kosovo 1389

3 6.25%
  • Nicopolis 1396

5 10.42%
  • Varna 1444

1 2.08%
  • Constantinople 1453

18 37.50%
  • Chaldiran 1514

0 0%
  • Raydaniya 1517

3 6.25%
  • Mohacs 1526

13 27.08%
  • Baghdad 1638

1 2.08%
  • Grocka 1739

0 0%
  • Kut 1916

0 0%
  • Gallipoli 1916

4 8.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Ottoman Victories

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

Default The Greatest Ottoman Victories

What in your opinion was the greatest victory of the Ottoman Empire from it's birth until the end of WW1.

Please give your reasons.
    Last edited by Erebus Pasha; May 26, 2008 at 02:20 PM.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

Belisaire_'s Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The Greatest Ottoman Victories

Mohács hungarian army was annihilated Hungaria was decisively defeated, and occupied for the next centuries it was the height of Ottoman empire.

As far as I know Constantinople had the greatest impact on history, but this is coming from someone with limited Ottoman knowledge.

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

I voted the conquest of Constantinople in 1453. Mainly because of the impact it had on the balance of powers in the centuries after it. The end of the Roman empire and the definitive start of a new major(I might as well say super) power in Europe/Asia. Truly a turning point in history.
    It looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast...

contantinople, it was just a siege against an empire vitually dead

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

I agree. But the symbolic meaning of the siege and the consequenses mean a lot, that makes it in my opinion one of the most important battles ever, especially for the Ottomans.
    It looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast...

1453 - Psychologically perhaps the most tremendous victory (both then and now), and not that easily gained (they'd failed a couple of times before and this time to they were aided by luck). But to me not the most important, that would be...

1526 - Mohacs. Why? As has been said before, this victory marked the most glorious period of the Ottoman empire, their all time high lets say. Indeed, not territorially, but looking at Ottoman history as a whole, this period was the period of utter glory under Suleyman, afterwards the empire did not decline, and though it territorially grew, one could safely assume the greatest glory had been achieved and that the empire slowly began to stagnate, to finally decline from Karlowitz onwards.
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

But I also think Chaldiran and Raydaniya are worth a mention as it gave the Ottoman Empire control of the Middle East and Egypt, with access to the rest of North Africa.

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Nicopolis, a truly ownage and a terrible mistake of the crusaders. Second, Galliopoli a nice victory against the ANZAC Forces.
    @ Constantinople, it was inevitable so it wasn't such a great victory.
    @ Mohacs, this was a good victory fot the Ottomans. Period.

Here's my question : What was the greatest victory that the Ottoman Empire had against Russia?
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Quote Originally Posted by Arto View Post
    Nicopolis, a truly ownage and a terrible mistake of the crusaders. Second, Galliopoli a nice victory against the ANZAC Forces.
    @ Constantinople, it was inevitable so it wasn't such a great victory.
    @ Mohacs, this was a good victory fot the Ottomans. Period.

Here's my question : What was the greatest victory that the Ottoman Empire had against Russia?
    Probably the Pruth in 1711 - one that I haven't listed!

This was humiliating for Peter the Great and he had to concede all territory taken from the Turks during the Wars of the Holy Alliance such as Azov for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    But I also think Chaldiran and Raydaniya are worth a mention as it gave the Ottoman Empire control of the Middle East and Egypt, with access to the rest of North Africa.
    True, but Mohacs was the cherry on that juicy pie.
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Well they often lost against Russia so i would say Pruth campaign 1711, i don't see other major ottoman victory against Russia

Hmm, Myself, I would say Constantiople. It had various aftershocks in the Islamic and Western World, with the Ottoman Turks in the forefront. It become one of the trade centers of the world, and hence, the most important one for the Ottomans.

Other than that, I would say Mohacs would be a good one.

Probably the battle of Stanilesti 1711, a Moldavian village on the Prut river (known in the West as the Battle of Prut) where the Russian and Moldavian armies were surrounded and Peter the Great had to bribe his way out.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

I would have to vote for Raydaniya, since the defeat of the Mamluks of Egypt literally transformed the Ottoman state from a Muslim regional power into a true Muslim imperial state. Bringing Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem under their control with this victory greatly enhanced the Ottomans' prestige in the world, and in the Muslim world in particular, not to mention seriously beefing up their legitimacy.

The Ottoman conquest of Bursa in 1326 would be a close second, since this victory turned the Ottoman state into a true imperial state, the Ottomans having only been one border beylik out of many prior to it. By the same token, however, the Battle of Bapheus, in 1301, was just as important, since it was the first time the Ottomans challenged and defeated a major power (the Byzantines/Eastern Romans) in a major battle (as opposed to a skirmish).

EDIT: The Tatar/Ottoman burning of Moscow in 1571 was also pretty significant, since it set the tone for Ottoman-Russian/Muscovite relations in the future.
    Last edited by Crimson Scythe; May 26, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Son of Sétanta
    Protected by the Legion of Rahl
    Proud corporal in the house of God Emperor Nicholas
    I am a spark, soon to become a flame, and grow into an inferno...

I'll go either wih Kossovo or Mohács.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

Gallipoli because the "sick man of Europe" won and gave ANZAC a good bloody nose.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Who said Battle of Mohács (1687)?They lose.

PS:sorry ,they win the first one.

Battle of Preveza 1538 against Holy league was one the greatest Ottoman victory and it was a naval battle, Turks produced also a powerful navy.

Romulus_A's Avatar Semisalis

I said Constantinople, for obvious reasons. It's not a very modest feat to capture a city with some of the largest walls in all of Europe, even with a depleted amount of defenders. On top of that, they gained a decisive trade route to fund their growing empire. And to finish it off, it was a huge blow to Christendom, being that Constantinople was one of the oldest Christian cities.

Close to that would have to Gallipoli, although it's a shame that the empire's last remnant of energy was spent in vain.

"Gafflwn Dihenydd O’r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd, Ni fydd neb yn ein drechu, Falch ydy ni I drochu, Traed o flaen I’r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast