Thread: Digital Distribution?

TSD's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Digital Distribution?

ANy known issues with Digital distribution? I got mine through Direct2Drive, and it is not finding a valid copy of kingdoms on my system. The only thing I can imagine would be different in the case of the store bought, is the .exe is different not requiring a cd in the drive (part of the reason I like purchasing D2D).

TSD's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Digital Distribution?

I did a complete re install and no luck with getting it to recognize I have kingdoms installed. I suppose asking "how" it validates the copy so I can locate the source of my issue, is out of the question, as then people without valid copies or no copy at all may develop a workaround to run it. I am going to assume the only difference in my copy to retail box is the exe (which is v 1.05) since the Digital version of kingdoms is compatible with the retail box vanilla. What I am going to try in this case is, backing up my kingoms exe, downloading the retail box patch (seeing if I can unpack it and extract the exe, slap the retail box exe in my directory run the mod installer). I am on XP btw.

D2D doesnt require an outside app to run the games you dl like steam, it installs just like a retail box version, only with a different exe (you are required to dl the patches from d2d's website).

As suspected that deduction didnt work. After viewing the registry, the registry entries appear like they could be different for D2D than retail box if it checks the registry. So I may be screwed, I really want this mod, but dont really want to buy the game twice.
    Last edited by TSD; May 25, 2008 at 09:51 PM.

Quote: from Unspoken Knight
    One point I don't think I have mentioned is that the installer template doesn't work for some downloadable versions of M2TW and Kingdoms (namely Steam) or if users have installed to an external hard drive they then use on a different PC. Because of this, you may get support questions from some users along these lines.
    Unfortunately my new mod installer does not work with a Steam version. And even if you were able to install it, Steam users had many problems running my mod in previous versions. I am sorry I cannot help you further.

I really want this mod, but dont really want to buy the game twice.
    I once had to buy Rome Total War again because I wore the disks out from playing them so much. I went to play RTW one day, put the disk in, but it wouldn't come on So I headed straight into town to buy another copy TOTAL WAR FOREVER!!!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; May 26, 2008 at 04:26 AM.

TSD's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post
    Quote: from Unspoken Knight

Unfortunately my new mod installer does not work with a Steam version. And even if you were able to install it, Steam users had many problems running my mod in previous versions. I am sorry I cannot help you further.

I once had to buy Rome Total War again because I wore the disks out from playing them so much. I went to play RTW one day, put the disk in, but it wouldn't come on So I headed straight into town to buy another copy TOTAL WAR FOREVER!!!

Dave
    Its only 39 bucks for the Gold edition, so I probably will buy the disks. BAH! next time, i am going to investigate mods before buying a game and see if the digi distribution has issues.

I'm having the same issue - I went to install this mod and it told me it didn't detect a valid Kingdoms install on my computer (I bought both M2TW and the Kingdoms expansion from D2D). Obviously this is disappointing, butas much as I'd love to play this mod I can't really justify spending another $40 to buy a game I already bought.

Ah well. Live and learn.

i have had the same problems with multiple mods. i also got through D2D. this is terrible but oh well, i wont spend 40 bucks more on the boxed version.

My M2TW main disk despite having 0 scratches has worn itself out. I prosecuted every single work around for CRC failures and in the end decided to download the D2D version as well. After three failed attempts it finally installed, and now I learn the mod I went to 4 days of trouble to play requires a box version. Argh.

Is there any chance a non-exe installer can be made available?

As I doubt you're modifying the EXE can you post the required registry keys that the installer is checking for? It's easy enough to add them. I've worked on other complicated mods with m2tw and I'm comfortable manually distributing the files, but would sorely love after 4 straight days of hell to be able to play the mod without further expense.

Yours,

coman

I played with this mod a long time ago with my d2d version of the game and it always worked fine, d2d games used to be different than games from other download sites in that they were basicaly the boxed versions of them. but it seems d2d has changed. i just redownloaded mtw2 and kingdoms from d2d and i cant get this mod to work, like others in this thread, it wont recognize my kingdoms game.

I got it to work once before on Direct 2 Drive...but now...Seriously i did. It read and installed it, but now it won't.

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusCron View Post
    I got it to work once before on Direct 2 Drive...but now...Seriously i did. It read and installed it, but now it won't.
    I know very little about the d2d situation, but I do recall a post by Dave Scarface in which he stated that the new(er) patches would work with d2d but he did not say how.

I did find this thread and at this time it is the best information I can find. Pay attention to the post regarding a software package called 'uniextract'. It might be the solution to your problem, or at least give you some ideas.
    Installing the mod on a D2D version of M2TW?
    MOS v1.6.2+ Bug fixer 30 Dec 2013

I've tried Uniextract, it either doesn't extract the whole thing, or there is something very wrong with the file, because...it just crashes constantly after updating. I mean..

There IS supposed to be alot of stuff pulled from it right? There has to be a way. I cannot afford to purchase another MTW2 right now, just to get mods to work. I don't WANT to go to the store and buy disks, I don't want to take steam and purchase and wait hours for the download to finish. My MTW 2 is allready modded, ...it reads every other mod, including Total war...so why..?