Thread: sourcing custom music

Default sourcing custom music

Hi Guys,

I recently received a private message, asking me for music files, as I'd mentioned that I'd modded my own music (I used Trajan's tutorial for this - many thanks!).

First, I'm not sure of the legality of sharing mp3 files, and I was wondering if this issue could be clarified for everyone's benefit?

Second, I wanted to pass on some info on how I sourced the music for my own modded soundtrack. And so, pasted below, is my response to the PM I received:

[my reply]

I added music from my own CD collection, as I have a lot of medieval music performed on original instruments.

I added Celtic, English, German, Italian music for the Northern map; Polish, Hungarian and Bulgarian music for the eastern map; Spanish, Italian, Jewish and Arab music for the Southern and mid-East map.

The CDs I used are all available on Amazon at bargain prices. Here are some general examples:

Thomas Tallis and John Dowland for English music
    Monteverdi for Italian music
    Alan Stivell for Celtic music
    Sylvius Leopold Weiss for German music
    Gregorian Chant for general background music
    Marta Sebestyen/Muzsikas for Hungarian music
    Koronacja w Wenecji w 1595 roku for Polish music
    'Music from Wawel' for Polish music
    'Sephardic Romances' by Ensemble Accentus for Jewish music
    'Music of the Troubadours' by Oni Wytars for French/Spanish music
    'On the Way to Bethlehem' by Ensemble Unicorn for mid-East music
    'Flower of Chivalry' CD for background music
    'Renaissance Masterpieces' CD for background music

A good way to source cheap medieval music is to check out the Naxos label on Amazon or your local music store. Look for the 'Early Music' category. The prices are rockbottom cheap. in the UK one Naxos CD costs the same as 2 beers.

A source of copyright-free medieval music is the 'White Beetle' website, though I haven't actually used this.

I'd really love to share my music mod with the community but I'm really worried about copyright issues. I read somewhere that posting mp3 files could be a real problem. Perhaps a moderator could clarify the situation?
    Last edited by Javolenus; May 24, 2008 at 10:44 AM.