Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I never played a Paradox game..

Renegen's Avatar Senator

Default I never played a Paradox game..

I'm watching all the fun go by me, and I'm thinking, should I give this game a try? I'm attracted to the diplomacy, AI and complex choices I can make. How does this game work, for the history experts, would you say the game is a good simulation of reality? Why is it fun? And what should I start with. I saw this picture about Japan in the 17th century, can I play as anyone? And list some good mods etc and which game would be the best for a newbie.

Default Re: I never played a Paradox game..

hey sorry for stealing ur thread, but i didnt want to open a new one just for this question, and you might be interested in the answer too, so im posting it here...

what do you guys think, for a new guy to paradox games, which europa universalis should i buy? ive heard that eu2 is better than eu3?

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

EU3 is the most user-friendly.
    And with the new expansion (In Nomine) its going to be the best paradox game ever released.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

Spart's Avatar Senator

Consider trying one of the following:

Hearts of Iron 2 if you're into WW2. This is about the second most complicated of Paradox games. The emphasis is on warfare. So simply put, you'll start your game in '36, build up your army and industry and conquer the world. With the Doomsday expansion (which is a standalone package btw) the game lasts until '53 (?). Extremely interesting and time consuming when you actually learn how it works.

Europa Universalis 3 is the most simple one, and also the most unhistorical and freeform. So from 1453 on, you'll colonize, trade, conquer, advance in technology and all that usual stuff. Fun for a while, but might get boring after you've conquered the world with every minor nation. Plus it's a bit "cartoonish" for my tastes, I prefer the appearance of Vicky and HoI 2. There's a great mod called Magna Mundi that turns the game more historically plausible though, and the new expansion will be out anytime now.
    EU3 + the 2 expansions would cost you the most though.

Victoria is my favourite one at the moment, the most complex of them all. From 1836 to 1930's(with revolutions expansion), so lots of things happening. Industrialize, colonize and compete with other superpowers. The population, politics, economy and industry might be pretty hard for a starting player, but are extremely fun to play with. So this has the most detailed and realistic managing of your country. The warfare isn't bad either. The great thing is there arent huge, unrealistic blobs forming all over the world but instead the nations will compete in prestige, economy/industry and military. The campaigns usually go pretty historically but you can still do just about anything you like.
    This is the one I recommend the most if you like the time period and enjoy playing with people's lives. Plus it's a few years old so it's cheap.

Then there are EU: Rome and Crusader kings, but I have very little experience with them, so..
    Last edited by Spart; May 23, 2008 at 06:59 AM.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

i think ill try eu3, as im a fan of the age of sail, victoria and hearts of iron are from newer periods. what about eu2, how does it compare to eu3?

Spart's Avatar Senator

Well, with the expansions EU3 would be better, but also costs quite a lot more.
    I consider the music and visuals of EU2 better, but technically EU3 is superior.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    Well, with the expansions EU3 would be better, but also costs quite a lot more.
    They'll probably release a value pack for that.
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

EU3 is currently in the mail for me. I've just heard too much to pass it up and if I enjoy it and get my moneys worth of it I will probably check out the other Paradox games as well. I only have few questions. The first of those being

Do you get a feeling of acomplishment with EU games? I heard that it is hard to conquer the world and that you might want to set your sights lower, but after playing so many TW games will I get enjoyment out of lesser goals and is it still possible to have a vast Empire?

Also, how do the battles work? On some youtube videos I saw it looked like there were some animations going on and numbers floating up. Do those with guns shoot, and those with cavalry just swing their swords back and forth? Will the combat be frustrating and ridiculous like in Civ games?

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Another thing to mention about Hearts of Iron 2: if you want a really alternative history download the 1914 Mod and play the 1897 Scanerio, very intresting.

Also, there is a Modern Day Scanerio Mod starting in 2003.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

Quote Originally Posted by Kennylz View Post
    Do you get a feeling of acomplishment with EU games? I heard that it is hard to conquer the world and that you might want to set your sights lower, but after playing so many TW games will I get enjoyment out of lesser goals and is it still possible to have a vast Empire?
    Kind of.

It's fun to be the most powerful state, but having 3 concurrent wars can really break apart your empire.

It's also one of those games where cheating doesn't automatically make you win.

So being Sienna surrounded by Milan, Venice and Austria, surviving is the order of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennylz View Post
    Also, how do the battles work? On some youtube videos I saw it looked like there were some animations going on and numbers floating up. Do those with guns shoot, and those with cavalry just swing their swords back and forth? Will the combat be frustrating and ridiculous like in Civ games?
    I've never played a Civ game.

But it looks like animated chess.

Two figures hit one another and that's it.

When you win or lose the figures advance or retreat.

The graphics will be the last thing on your mind when France invades with 60,000 soldiers.

----------

Some advice.

When you get Eu3 don't be put of my the size of the manual and don't update it until you play it for a while.

As the newer updates change some of the more fun features, like be able to annex whole countries instead you have to beat your enemy over several wars.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

Well, I ordered the collectors edition so I'm assuming it will already be patched. I assume this because it says it comes with 'community modifications' or somesuch.

I got the Collector's Edition, too and I had to patch it. Not sure what patch is needed though because I used GameShadow.

Be sure to get Magna Mundi, after a couple of play throughs.
    Makes the game alot harder, and more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediteran View Post
    i think ill try eu3, as im a fan of the age of sail, victoria and hearts of iron are from newer periods. what about eu2, how does it compare to eu3?
    You won't be disappointed. Trying EU3 that is. Especially with the expansion In Nomine ( note: The Napoleon's Ambition will be required for this as well ) set to come out in a few days. With this expansion, it may turn EU3 into one of the all time great strategy games. If your into this time period of history, you cannot go wrong, as IMO there is nothing better on the market covering this era. The expansion In Nomine will just seal the deal so to speak.

Yeah EU3 is great, but if your into more intense battles and gaming HOI2 and Victoria is where its at. You know your good at HOI2 when you beat the Germany 1944 Scanerio on Hard / Furious

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

My order is on the way, but I just jumped into the EU3 demo. I was instantly overwhelmed. Far more than when playing an Elder Scrolls game. I just simply didn't know my ass from my elbow.

I'll probably study the book religiously once it arrives.

Yeah, paradox games usually require experience , no other way to get good at them.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him

Yeh their great... Eu3 is a brilliant game. Can't really same the same for EU:Rome... the whole civ thing is a nice idea but it gets old fast. Also, AI, colonisation, diplomacy suck quite bad but I guess they MIGHT change that with patches. Can't really land any major faults with EU3 though apart from the fact the tutorial sucks and so does the manual . I must admit though I figured everything out for myself apart from how to put troops on ships and how to place agents but I guess thats a rare occurance. In Nomine is just gonna make it great.

Dutchpower's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarbiter View Post
    Yeh their great... Eu3 is a brilliant game. Can't really same the same for EU:Rome... the whole civ thing is a nice idea but it gets old fast. Also, AI, colonisation, diplomacy suck quite bad but I guess they MIGHT change that with patches. Can't really land any major faults with EU3 though apart from the fact the tutorial sucks and so does the manual . I must admit though I figured everything out for myself apart from how to put troops on ships and how to place agents but I guess thats a rare occurance. In Nomine is just gonna make it great.
    Ping pong battles are not a fault?
    Batavorum miliaria.

"Tits or GTFO. You know the rules and so do I."

I'm actually pretty quickly getting a grip on what it is I am doing. My biggest fault was probably that I was playing small nations, but it really let me not worry about maintaining an empire and let me get into the very basics. I'm loving it so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast