Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lore and War

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

Default Lore and War

I'm not sure if this has been answered. But will the game be like Total War when you can change history? EX: like the elves allying with mordor. or will it be purely all about the lore. Like pure set teams. Good vs. Evil

I prefer the first one It should follow the main reason some of us play total war. Taking a country like Spain and conquering the world

Plus imagine the coolness of orcs fighting with elves!
    Last edited by The Big Red 1; May 21, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Default Re: Lore and War

I really, REALLY hope so. I don't want to be bound to some Tolkien script.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Glorfindel's Avatar Centenarius

this "tolkien script" is what make mods like this to happen

and is TOTALLY UNREALISTIC for ANY Elf to fight with orcs

so.....
    Glorfindel, the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

From what I've understood, you will be able to change history, yes. I know that when I play it, I'll never form an alliance between Elves and Orcs But if that's what you'd like to do, I think it is possible in this mod.
    "He is suffering from Politician's Logic: 'Something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it.'"
    - Yes, Prime Minister

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

As a loyal fan of Tolkien I prefer "Good vs. Evil" set, but most people like to chance history.

You can change history without doing unrealistic things

e.g. Gondor attacks Rohan (if you are mad enough to do it)

but Elves fighting alongside with Orcs or NAZGUL AND BALROGS, i mean COME ON!

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

I think that, rather than making it impossible to do something like that, it should just be extremely difficult for something like that to happen by making the AI for the orcs ill-disposed towards elves, Gondorians, Rohan, et al.

In other words, it should be doable, but, IMO, it should take a fair amount of effort on the part of the player to bring relations between such factions to the point that the non-player orcs would be willing to ally with them. After all, no one wants to see AI-controlled elves skipping through fields of daffodils with their newfound orc buddies.
    Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
    An open mouth often catches a closed fist!

consider this, Elves hate Orcs and Orcs hate Elves, if you are a weird leader you can't force them to be friends, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
    consider this, Elves hate Orcs and Orcs hate Elves, if you are a weird leader you can't force them to be friends, can you?
    @ Glorifindel: An alliance between an orc state and an Elvish one would be just that: an alliance, and not an endorsement of their culture, or anything like that. To be sure, an Elvish leader who wanted to ally with an orc would have to be smoking something that doesn't come from the Shire (which is why I think that the respective AIs of elves and orcs should be set on as high of antagonism as possible), but that shouldn't inhibit the player from trying to work at mending fences with an "evil" faction, as it were.

I do, however, think that your faction leader should get negative traits if an alliance/ceasefire with an orkish faction is called on his watch, or if he breaks an alliance or goes to war with a "good" faction (excluding the dwarves and men of Dale, of course), with an increase in unrest and dread for the leader in question, and a decrease in the morale of the faction leader's troops.
    Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
    An open mouth often catches a closed fist!

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

If Elves can only fight with the evil factions then it will get real boring having my uber elf warriors smash orcs like water on rocks. Now watching orcs and elves sack Minas Tirith. And then burn it to the ground would be funny and new. Not saying we should destroy Tolkein's great work just "enhance" it

Then maybe hobbits and goblins could get together and make little Hoblins. While Sauron turns Mordor into an Amusement Park. Now who wouldn't want a perfect middle earth like that? Who would get Bored playing like that?

I don't know about you but I would get bored of destroying the forces of evil for the billionth time.

P.S. Just kidding about the Hoblin thing. But I do think Mt. Doom would make one great roller coaster theme.
    HONEY I AM HOME

The mod will be like the rest of the tw series, you will be able to make your own history. This is why I'm strongly discouraging the quest of the ring, in the game.
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

Lol
    If youve got the quest for the ring you can still change history
    Movie maker for the Third Age Total War

you can change history by taking let's say Gondor and ally Mordor (if you want) but elves befriending Orcs it's against their nature-you CAN'T do it-it's like a law-you spoil the whole "Tolkien feeling"

and i know it's not easy to make relations between certain faction as in the books/movies but i think it's essential to the magical feeling (elves drinking tea with Sauron isn't magical at all)

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

ti would be crazy to let gondor be in alliance with mordor.
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

oow but Gondor and Mordor fightin alongside eachother isnt breaking the tolkien feeling
    Movie maker for the Third Age Total War

bingster088's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by aesthete View Post
    I think that, rather than making it impossible to do something like that, it should just be extremely difficult for something like that to happen by making the AI for the orcs ill-disposed towards elves, Gondorians, Rohan, et al.

In other words, it should be doable, but, IMO, it should take a fair amount of effort on the part of the player to bring relations between such factions to the point that the non-player orcs would be willing to ally with them. After all, no one wants to see AI-controlled elves skipping through fields of daffodils with their newfound orc buddies.
    I agree, it should be POSSIBLE, but not very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinsander View Post
    oow but Gondor and Mordor fightin alongside eachother isnt breaking the tolkien feeling

humans can do it (and i said like the weirdest thing possible)- but Elves NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

How about elves declaring war to other elves? For me that is too absurd but I guess most of people are ok with it.

yes... i think that it's ok, because it have been done in past (when elves didn't have learned from their mistakes)

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

I think there will be a set of house rules that everyone should follow and could follow in order to play a tolkien like...
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast