Thread: The Kite Runner

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: The Kite Runner

Everyone tells me its a great book, but I hate the author. All of his books have the same central theme (illegitimate children).

And if you don't want your heart broken, don't watch the movie -- it is beyond crap. I was going to write a review for the movie, but its just not worth it.

I haven't read any of his other works, but this one blew me away. I haven't seen the movie either, although I was planning on it. I found that the window Hosseini provides for us to view Arab culture and political situations is amazing. I really enjoyed that aspect.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by _Pontifex_ View Post
    I haven't read any of his other works, but this one blew me away. I haven't seen the movie either, although I was planning on it. I found that the window Hosseini provides for us to view Arab culture and political situations is amazing. I really enjoyed that aspect.
    Not really Arab, but Afghani culture. I loved the movie and I'm going to read the book after Black Hawk Down.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Not really Arab, but Afghani culture. I loved the movie and I'm going to read the book after Black Hawk Down.

How would you rate the movie? I'm still hung up on whether I want to rent it. usually the movie doesn't do the book justice and I don't want to amalgamate the two versions into something tainted.

I like it, about an 8/10 for the movie.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

Is it true to the book?

Haven't read the book yet, going to finish BHD first, but here is its wiki page you can look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kite_Runner_(film)