Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Good lord the turn length.....

Default Good lord the turn length.....

Great mod but waiting 3-4 minutes per turn while the AI chugs is somewhat disconcerting. I didn't load any of the adds with the 6.1 patch (BYGIII et al) and I'm running an AMD 9500Quad-core 2.2Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM so I would think the AI faction turn would take as long as a commercial break during LOST.

The rest of you just dealing with it or is everyone running mega-faster rigs than I am? If so, I'd love to hear the specs.

YD23's Avatar Cторожевая Cобака.

Default Re: Good lord the turn length.....

I'm not sure but there is a fix for Byg mod, it has to do with performance issue or something like that.

There is tons of threads similar to this one if you search around....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier1070 View Post
    Great mod but waiting 3-4 minutes per turn while the AI chugs is somewhat disconcerting. I didn't load any of the adds with the 6.1 patch (BYGIII et al) and I'm running an AMD 9500Quad-core 2.2Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM so I would think the AI faction turn would take as long as a commercial break during LOST.

The rest of you just dealing with it or is everyone running mega-faster rigs than I am? If so, I'd love to hear the specs.
    You must have inadvertantly loaded Byg III or RR. I have a Pentium 4 and get better turn rates than that. Also, it helps to get rid of the new ships and caravans, and lower terrain heights with wolfslayers mod. Also turning off following AI movement helps, as well as turning off shadows. I have shadows enabled on the campaign map since I think they add alot to the visuals.
    Last edited by chaos; May 20, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

I removed Byg, but the turns do still get fairly long when you get a few decades into a campaign, they sure seem to be longer than in 5.0. I think this might be due to the larger map? Maybe real recruitment or other mods are also having an impact, I'm not sure....

Personally I now have 2 monitors, I run the game in one in windows mode, and browse the web in the other while the AI is taking its turns...

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post

Personally I now have 2 monitors, I run the game in one in windows mode, and browse the web in the other while the AI is taking its turns...
    WOW, that's smart....I wish I could do that

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

After I completely reinstalled Medieval 2 from scratch I noticed a HUGE increase in game performance.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    After I completely reinstalled Medieval 2 from scratch I noticed a HUGE increase in game performance.
    Happened to me also, but it goes away after a while, and starts being slow again

No performance issues here and I'm only running on a P4 3.0ghz with 2 gigs of ram. It doesn't even take a single minute and I'm in the 1200's somewhat in my campaign... Fresh install without the byg stuff but with lots of other things

Same here no probs with turn time prob about 30 sect per turn (i play 6.1 without any add ons). I run Athlon 32bit 3.0 ghz with 2 gig ram

I have about 30-45 second turns no byg III only RR with 1.8GHz and 3GB ram.
    "...Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the six hundred.
    " - Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

to me the long turns are a bit of a game killer.

I dont watch AI turns, I got nothing optional installed, I turned campaign shadows off, and still it takes about a minute at the least for the AI to have its turns.

If my own turn takes very long I dont mind it, but if I am just selecting a bit what I need build next and move troops and agents to continue their way and retrain some units, then its far too long, especially when I have many of these quick turns in a row. Their turns take longer than mine then.

Its good that I have two computers, otherwise I just couldnt play the game.

That is really strange... must be some explanation for this...:hmmm:

gunnergoz's Avatar Foederatus

I'd be curious to know what OS people are operating, what their disc cache is doing and what other apps/processes are running. Could be anti-virus software meddling some as well, perhaps. The game seems pretty free of memory leaks but you never know what other apps/processes can do to your processing efficiency.
    I run a P4 2.53Ghz with only 1Gig RAM and only about 10Gig's free HD space and my turns are about 2-3 minutes long about halfway through the early campaign. Game is stable, though and I really appreciate how far this engine has come over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    I removed Byg, but the turns do still get fairly long when you get a few decades into a campaign, they sure seem to be longer than in 5.0. I think this might be due to the larger map? Maybe real recruitment or other mods are also having an impact, I'm not sure....

Real Recruitment does not affect turn length.

Try a disk de-frag, might speed things up.

for me 1-2 minutes for every turn but i don't have byg's mod

Beef246's Avatar Laetus

Takes around 1 min for me, had to uninstall BYG though, shame I would have liked to keep it, maybe when I get my new comp when I finish uni itl be able to handle it lol ( Empire will prob be out by then lol )

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Beef246 View Post
    Takes around 1 min for me, had to uninstall BYG though, shame I would have liked to keep it, maybe when I get my new comp when I finish uni itl be able to handle it lol ( Empire will prob be out by then lol )
    Hi, last night I released BGR2.5, which has no turn delay. It loses a lot of features to allow that, but still has more than the default BGR2 in ss6.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

You must have inadvertantly loaded Byg III or RR.

Nope. When I loaded 6.1 patch, the only thing checked were core files. No RR or Byg.

I just built this computer about a month ago so defragging is not an issue. Hell, I play WOW while running Realplayer for music and get zero lag online. I'm pretty confident my machine is fast enough so I'm thinking there is another reason considering others have comprable rigs and are seeing no problems.

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Listen to Point Blank. Do a de-frag and it will help. I noticed a nice bump in performance of SS 6.1 after I did one. Turning off campaign shadows really doesn't help the end turn go faster. It does help during your turn when you scroll over the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier1070 View Post

If you didn't load any of the adds in 6.1, I'm not sure why your turn length is 3-4 minutes. Mine is over in 15-25 second tops. I don't think this is related, but just curious, did you keep RR or remove it with the patch?

EDIT: Ah, you answered my question above. No idea why yours is slow then, I think it's comp related.

XBL Profile: pykachu10 | TS Profile: dstarsboy | Xfire Profile: pykachu

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast