Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 0.7 Unit balancing feedback

Default Re: 0.7 Unit balancing feedback

I was very confused regarding the statistics of the Germanic unit "Chosen Axemen." They seem to be vastly overpowered compared to similar-level units of other nations.

Consider this:
    Germanic Chosen Axemen have an attack rating of 19, a defense rating of 15, and a charge bonus of 5. The price of this unit is 670 Denarii. (note: regular Germanic Axemen have 9-11-5, and cost only 50 less)

Roman Imperial cohorts have an attack rating of 9, with 12 for their pila, a defense rating of 19, and a charge bonus of 4. The price of this unit is 890 Denarii.

Gallic and British Feniagh infantry have an attack rating of 11, with 12 for their javelines, a defense rating of 16, and a charge bonus of 2. The price of this unit is 810 Denarii.

Iberian Bull Warriors have an attack rating of 12, with 15 for their javelines, a defense rating of 12, and a charge bonus of 4. The price of this unit is 800 Denarii.

I have tested (basic units, no upgrades) Roman Legionaries against the Chosen Axemen (which are MUCH cheaper!) and the Legionaries have been massacred by them - very easily, I might add - even when the Roman troops use their Pila. Since the Gallic, British, and Iberian elites have similar properties to the Roman Legionaries, I would expect similar results.

Has anybody else run into this, or is there just a problem with my install?

-LaMarseillaise
    Last edited by LaMarseillaise; July 08, 2008 at 09:43 PM.

I have only played 1 campaign of the beta(as the romans) and came up against these guys. I agree with you on their pricing however the stats of the unit are ok imo. Chosen axemen are basically an elite unit that is designed to chew up armoured units so your test results are what i would expect to happen in the same way i would expect an elite pike unit to defeat cavalry. They are balanced by the fact that they are easily countered by missile units.

You see, the problem I have with that is that the Romans are not a missile unit kind of faction. Considering the price of the unit, Legionaries should be more than a match for them. I shouldn't have to bring in archers just to take care of these, especially when it is often difficult to single out such units in an enemy army (the enemy will likely charge before I can do any real damage).

Just for reference, the Chosen Axemen in the original game had almost no armor, but the price and attack power were about the same as here. The result was that Roman Legionaries could beat them, but it would cost them. What I found most surprising, though, was the comparison between this unit and the Germans' own regular Axemen.

-LaMarseillaise

The last version had too fast battles lusted,are they fixed in that Version?(I m not talkingabout the Gold Beta)
    The Units died too fast

Busy!!!

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

that's better then it is "more" realistic

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

For unit balancing,there should be a guideline to determine the costing of each unit,ie each point of armour,attack,charge bonus etc = so much denari,with added cost or % for things like terrain bonus,moral,HPs,speed,ap...etc. Otherwise it is all guess work...CA should have some unit creation rules???? How did they determine costs?

debux's Avatar Senator

It might be just me, but phalanxes seem pretty powerful for me... I had a hard time beating macedon as GCS in m/m only. Isolating and flanking was the sole way to win
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

As with any unit,depends on unit stats you faced. I see phalanx wiped out by Sparabara (slave) in town assaults by Seleucids,so even against slaves on they can die. Head on use swords,not spear.

Update to unit costings,Aradan has released the EDUmatic for that.

debux's Avatar Senator

My guess is that what you're talking about are pantodopai (or however you write that), because Satraba have spears, the same as Hoplites, although Hoplites are a lot stronger. In my case I was mostly fighting Pezhetairoi... too bad GCS have no sword infantry
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12