Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Maximus/Ulpianus (II)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Maximus/Ulpianus

"Or we could just send our legions there to get slaughtered for profit... Senators, let us be realistic. A war so far from home isn't something we should press for, at least not at this current state. Firstly, we do not have legions ready to spare from the borders for the campaign. Secondly, we need a vast fleet to carry across our armies from Italy to Africa with the risk of either meeting the pirates of the Egyptian armada en route. Thirdly, we must have the legions march miles and miles of desolate desertland to reach the exterior provinces of the Ptolemy's Kingdom - with the risk of many of our force dying of either heat, shortage of water or by getting lost in the desert. Finally, once there, our depleted legions will have to face war with the experienced veterans of Ptolemy, soldiers that have been trained to fight in a landscape like Egypt's while our men, inside their lorica segmentata will fry like some damned Populares orgy dinner! Is that what we want for our men?"
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Quote Originally Posted by Fabius Maximus View Post
    "Or we could just send our legions there to get slaughtered for profit... Senators, let us be realistic. A war so far from home isn't something we should press for, at least not at this current state. Firstly, we do not have legions ready to spare from the borders for the campaign. Secondly, we need a vast fleet to carry across our armies from Italy to Africa with the risk of either meeting the pirates of the Egyptian armada en route. Thirdly, we must have the legions march miles and miles of desolate desertland to reach the exterior provinces of the Ptolemy's Kingdom - with the risk of many of our force dying of either heat, shortage of water or by getting lost in the desert. Finally, once there, our depleted legions will have to face war with the experienced veterans of Ptolemy, soldiers that have been trained to fight in a landscape like Egypt's while our men, inside their lorica segmentata will fry as damned Populares orgy dinner! Is that what we want for our men?"
    And who said it has to be now?

A war like that would be far more than a simplistic profit grabbing adventure. Not only would the Greeks benefit from our freedom but there would be vast new, fertile lands for our poor and crowded plebs and veterans to colonize. Besides, it would show our effective strenght against the Eastern Tyrants.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

I didn't say Egypt, the Free People are East. Im sure Egypt has better armies, but definetly not more men. We can ally with them to, get some spice from that.

Yes, finally sense!!!! Greece is actually somewhat civilised!

"All I am saying is that the Republic at this current state does not possess the military strength nor the resources for such a huge adventure abroad. If in the future this changes, then we can talk about it again. However, until that time comes, let us cleave with the matter at hand - and that is the northern front. What will we do with the Gauls? Should I mobilize the legions to conquer Narbo Martius and the rest of the coastal cities?"

Why not just protect what we already have from the Guals? Why can't we find the resources to raise more legions? Do we not have enough men, not enough money, or is it that some senators just want to use it as a political tool? From what i see, many cities that have legions don't recruit them, but maybe i haven't been in office recently to see through properly.

My opinion is that you conquer the coastal cities all the way to Iberia and set strong fortifications to prevent Gallic incursions into Galia Transalpina.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

"As this conversation is reaching no visible end than to keep rattling about the 'East', I will lay down the following motions;

Motion I: That the Res Publica trains five legions as war preparation.

Motion III: That the Res Publica entrusts to the Senior Consul the command of all consular legions in order to accomplish the missions of the Senate.

"There"

"The first motion will grand five legions for whatever war this Senate requires. The second motion will provide me with the legions to carry out your will. If you have anything else to add, now would be the time..."

OOC: I'll put these to vote tomorrow so that all members get a chance to see them and contribute before they are up on the polls.

EDIT: Motion #2 was already voted in a previous Consulate. Here are the vote results.
    Last edited by Kritias; May 28, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

What will be the composition and number of men in these legions?

"That is up to the Senate to decide, of course. I would, though, recommend that the legions are the following: Legio II Augusta, Legio X Gemina, Legio VIII Augusta and two more Auxiliary Legions..."

Humm 2 those are mine right?

I really have to adess this 2 fronts on the gauls=victory

OOC: this is getting inoing if you don't like my proposal atleast say so.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

"Senators, as my final statement on the Eastern issue: as well as I object going to the East as of yet(ooc: seriously, if you want east, give me the week to prepare the armies etc...) we must not oversee that the riches lie there; however, it is most important to keep our wits about us - we cannot hope to pick a fight with the Ptolemies right now when our legions barely can keep the borders safe! To get practical, I will not block any decision of this short but the proposer must have taken into consideration the defenses of the Republic; because I will not see us lighten up our borders to chase some coin in the East!"

"Now on the matter of Gaul again. I presume that I have the authority to capture Aventicum and Narbo Martius since the vote about it had been carried with all legality some years back. Here are the vote tallies from the Senate's records. So, that's what I'll be doing for the next couple of months(ooc: so that we do actually proceed with the campaign a bit!) - I expect that by the time I return, a decision about the Eastern Matter will be reached. Good day, Senators."

"Oh, and as for Lucius Paulus's proposal: It is kind of you to offer to relief me of my duties by assuming the role of commander in chief; however, aren't you the Proconsul of Cisilpine Gaul? That means that you have some responsibilities over your provinces, which are currently in the brick of rebellion! In any case, even if I did wanted someone to step in my place, the Governor of Transalpine Gaul would be the most fitting choice by favor of position and army; he does house three Legions in his Proconsulate."

OOC: Macedon, you take the save after Grandis Latro.
    Last edited by Kritias; May 28, 2008 at 03:05 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I am pleased to see that we are getting under way once more senators. I still don't truly understand how we went from talking about the Gallic war to an incursion in the East, but that is a different matter. Let us wish the Senior Consul and his legions all the best in his endeavour to hit the Gauls onto their defensive side. A word of warning however: look out carefully for Gallic ambushes, they seem to be reasonable good at setting those, from my own experiences up at the front. And if you can, try to retaliate using ambuscades as well. They are truly tactical masterpieces.

As to you, Proconsul Lucius Aemilius, I think it is now a high time that you should be back in your Proconsulship-appointed area, instead of here in Rome. Ever since your appointment, I have not seen a scrap of evidence of your work being done there, and I believe that not just I but many other senators expect a report of the Cisalpine situation as it is.

Eh they're fine just need more houses even barbarians need them .grain exports and miniral extraction should be underway bey the time I get back
    so evrything is fine but really if we don´t attack the eastren gallic front then the germans will beat us to it and take back germany.

OOC: only had the save once so there isn't much I CAN do.
    so I'll have it today?
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu

Consular Report

The Republic in turmoil!

"Senators, I bring ill news!"

"As the legions were moving towards Narbo Martius, with great sadness I was informed that our eastern borders have been violated once again. The Greek Empire, not content from the first round of death and destruction, crossed our borders once again and now is besieging the town of Segestica! Our legion is holding as capably as it is able, however the enemy numbers are two great(1:2 odds, check photos). For that reason, I have personally taken action and I have issued orders to the legion residing in Salona to march to Segestica's salvation; it was necessary to hire
    many mercenaries in order to have our legion up to fighting standards."

"Further, I ordered Legio VI Ferrata to advance towards our borders with the Greeks and secure the only crossing between miles long mountain ranges. The newly elected Proconsul, Servius Labienus Minor, will be given command of this Legion. As an important note, there are reports that indicate to 8,000-10,000 Greeks massing near Dyrrachium!"

"And as if the Greeks were not enough, now the citizens of Carthage have rebelled and force the Roman Legio XV Primigenia out of the city; but salvation is at hand! As the city is being sieged by the Proconsul, Spurius Vitrunius, an Auxilia Legion from Thapsus is joining the besiegers!"

"Finally, mixed news arrive from Gaul: I know for fact that Narbo Martius has been conquered with the minimum casualties possible. However, the reports make word of a legion being sieged in their fort by the Gallic Horde and according to the reports, the Legion is so depleted that it can hardly achieve victory. To make matters worse, the fort was built in a nearly impassable terrain and so the only way of reaching the camp to lift the siege is around the alps, behind the Gauls backs!"

The Assault of Narbo Martius:

The Besieged Fort:

"Now, I do have a legion moving towards the besieged Camp but I doubt if my men will arrive in time for the battle. May the Gods help those blockaded by the Gauls!"

"Senators, now you all know what we face; I want to hear our your motions. What do you think we must do?"

OOC1: Legio X Gemina is brought up to shape and will be landing in Gaul in some time. Maybe you want them in Illyria after the fighting is done?

OOC2: Grandis, I'll be sending you the save to play the Siege of Carthage today. Have fun and good luck!

OOC3: Pontifex, if you want me to, I'll pass you the save to play the camp battle.

OOC4: Caesar Rex, you will get the save last to play the bridge battle of Legio VI Ferrata!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Why a war at east, why a war so long away when lands of Gaul are so close? Why not another war with greece?
    They are civilized, they do posses rich lands and there lands are not far
    from our homes.

OOC: I would like to have the save, just needs 1h or less making
    some constructions.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

As it would seem the propraetorship is mine.
    Therefore without further waste of time I will leave for the provinces of Illyria.
    I will take command of the legion assisting Segestica first and relieve the town the best way I know how.
    From there I will join up with my fathers legion and hold the bridge.
    It will be a long journey going by road but with the winds at my back and with Jupiters guidance, the province will be secure.
    With that in mind the greeks have been treacherous once more.
    I think that while the consul is in Gaul that I with the two legions assigned move to strike at the greeks.
    This time we cripple them so badly that their ancestors will still be trying to rebuild their nation.

-----------------------------
    Servius Labienus 'the younger' (35)
    Senator of Rome
    Tribune of the people (I)
    Praetor (I)

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ah, these Greeks... Have they not yet tasted the power of Roman steel enough? Well, hopefully they shall taste a lot more of it this time, with both the Servii Labinii at the front, and an experienced bunch of veteran legions to fight for them. The Greek soldiers, inexperienced and relying on their weapon upgrades to win the day, shall be crushed under the legions of Rome, hopefully never to rise again. This is how Rome makes war, this is how Rome lives, expands and survives. We shall see how the Greeks feel after we kill another few tens of thousands of their men, and taken some more of their cities. Since they have no sense of honour in maintaining the treaty, they deserve no honour from us in killing their men. May the Labinii lead Rome to victory in the East.

Now for Carthage. The city, neglected by the Proconsul Metellus some years before, has been rebellious since. Spurius Vitruvius did what he could to stop the resentment in the settlement, however, it seems that it was too late. But now, a veteran commander from the Greek front, a few cavalry, missiles, spearmen and elephants shouldn't be more difficult than catching a fly, with the new touch-ups he has made to the Legio XV. The Carthaginians should be fully exterminated after this recapture of the city. It is what they deserve, and should ensure that rebellions there will not happen again any time soon.

It seems that the Gallic Front is proceeding reasonable well. However, dear Consul, I believe you should really sort out the unrest in Narbo Martius. We do not have the time nor resources to deal with constant rebellions now that we again have two wars to fight. Calming down it's population will be good in ensuring that it won't one day defect back to the Gauls and in doing so, stab us in the back, so to speak.

Senators, due to the strain in our troops and the situation of crisis in all fronts I propose separate motions that will strenghten our position against enemies, inside or outside.

Motion I

We shall raise 5 more legions to deal with the threats

Motion II

These new legions will be assigned to Consular command

Motion III

The Populace in Carthage will be punished with banishment after the city is retaken

Motion IV

We shall build two more fleets of sail ships to aid in our incursions into Greece and in the transport of our troops

Discuss. Senior Consul, I ask this is taken to vote and solved quickly so we can take a resolute action to contain the threats building up on the previous neglect.

I also ask my previous bill to the put to vote, too.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Carthage rebelling? Impossible! In my latest correspondence with the governor of the province, he assured me he had taken adequate steps to quell protests and not a whiff of riot had been detected for months.

But if they have rebelled against Rome, they should be taken down.

I support all of Senator Ahala's motions, with the condition that the first motion have a time limit attached. The legions would be disbanded after the crisis, and would be available to each newly elected consul until the crisis passes.

ooc: Fabius, you overstepped your authority in moving troops around in the provinces, such as besieging Carthage. You also had ZERO right to attack Narbo Martius. Do not do it again.

EDIT

Furthermore, I would like to define the limits of the Consul's authority. I present the following motion:

Resolved,
    the Consul shall be given Imperium over the territory of Illyricum et Dalmaltia, and shall be charged with Imperium to attack any and all of Greece up to the border with Makedonia (being the county of Pella). Any extension of the Consul's Imperium shall require a vote of the Senate. The Imperuim shall last until the end of the term, or until the war is brought to conclusion.

The Consul shall be granted all legions that the senate finds it necessary and proper to give him.
    Last edited by Winter; May 28, 2008 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I will take what ever I can muster to help the propreatator I will be leaving now.