Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Maximus/Ulpianus (II)

Default Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Maximus/Ulpianus (II)

Senior Consul
    Caius Fabius Maximus

Junior Consul
    Tiberius Octavius Ulpianus

Propraetor of Transalpine Gaul and the Punic Isles
    Caius Pontif

Propraetor of Sicily
    Marcus Aelius Triarius

Praetor
    Canus Lepidus Fabio

Tribunes of the Plebieans
    Tertius Julius Ursus
    Gnaeus Claudius Aquilia
    Decimus Cornelius Scipio Albianus
    Lucius Aurelius Lepidus

(The Consulate thread will remain closed until we resolve the issues regarding the current incarnation, even if we resolve it today I feel we should wait until next week. I think everyone could use a breather and we can all start with a fresh term. Obviously if the other mods disagree, they can unlock the thread. Also, Governors, please hold off on creating your threads or posting until we are all ready.)
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; May 24, 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Maximus/Ulpianus

F. Maximo et O. Ulpiano consolibus

As the Senators fill the rank of the Curia, discussing silently about the business at hand, the Curial Doors swing open; twelve lictors, carrying their wooden rods entered the Sacred Chamber, announcing the arrival of the Senior Consul. As the Senators begin to silence themselves in the honor of the highest magistrate of the Republic, an old man near his fifties enters the House. Wearing a green toga, Caius Fabius Maximus entered slowly but firmly into the Senate House; it was the first time in many years that a Fabius had been awarded with the supreme magistracy so Caius Fabius was intensely happy about his electoral success. Reaching the Curule Chairs, Caius Fabius stood in front of the one reserved for the Senior Consul and said:

"Senators, Romans, Friends!"

"Please, take your seats and make yourselves comfortable - we shall begin with the daily business as soon as the Priests of Jupiter have finished their prays."

OOC: Term begins today; welcome back, senators!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Consul Maximus, could you please post a detailed report of the situation in our borders and regarding our internal affairs to refresh the minds of those here present? I thank you.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Lucius enters to see that new men have taken others places, rome has changed.

"senators finally a new constitution has been put forward and the republic can once again work smothly. But that is not why I have travled here I came to present you with a magnificent oppritunity one that you can not miss. The gauls have superior numbers on the front as if there were millions of them, but my sources tell me that the gallic-aqentate border is defended by 2000 men and after that there is no garrison or defenc till Aleria!!"

"senators, this is the time we strike we should tear down the gauls eastren provinces and attack them from two directions!!"

"I think that 5000 troops will be enuf to advance all the way from tha alps across northren gaul and force peace with the gauls, now I'll be leaving in a month so I want answers fast"
    Last edited by Lucius Aemilius Paulus Macedon; May 26, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

THE CONSUL'S SPEECH:
    "Senators"

"On my first moments before you, I will not waste time glorifying myself or giving thanks to those that entrusted our Commonwealth to my hands. I will speak to you about the problems we face; and these problems are many and serious and in need of urgent solution."

"Conscript Fathers, for many years now has our Republic expanded Her lands towards the north and south. I will not waste your time reminding you of all the struggles we had to endure to fight Pyrrhus off Italy, to capture Sicily, to subdue Corsica and Sardinia, to destroy the might of Carthage or keep the Greeks and the Gauls away from our women, kids and holy places. We are here rather to take decisions on the important matters of our Res Publica than to take History courses."

"And many are those decisions need taken on important matters. For who cannot classify as important issues such as the gathering of the Gallic Horde in our Northern borders, in the labyrinth that is the Alps. Or the armies amassing far beyond our Southern borders, far beyond the ruins of Carthage put there by the sons and daughters of Ptolemy, the Rulers of Hellenistic Egypt. Or finally, the threat that is the Greek Cities, once defeated under the heels of Macedon, now ruling the Eastern Mediterranean. Oh, how many dangers encircle our Republic!"

"Fear not, Senators; for we, together, shall overcome any and all difficulties we are currently facing and will face in the near future. Together, we can make this term one of action in contrary with the previous term and the one before that which were terms of inaction and despair."

"Senators, friends, Romans!"

"Let the term begin!"

Edit: @Voltaire,

I am working on the report right now; you'll get something in half an hour approximately!
    Last edited by Kritias; May 26, 2008 at 11:49 AM.

ALL HAIL THE NEW COUNSULS!!!!
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

Consular Report:
    "Senators, here is the condition we are currently facing in the front.

Gallia Transalpina:

"As you can see, we are facing a minor invasion in Gallia Transalpina, nothing that our legions cannot counter. However, we should be careful not to rest on these news because who, except the Immortal Gauls, knows what the Alpic forests have in store for us."

Illyricum:

"As you can see, Conscript Fathers, we are faced with numerous minor invasions in and around Segestica's province. Keep in mind the fact that the only mobile legion rests in the southern part of the province, guarding our eastern borders. The fort near the town of Segestica is almost depleted."

Lepcis Magna:

"Now, Lepcis Magna is the most troublesome region of our borders. Not only without a separate legion to keep the peace, the town itself is undergarrisoned; I seriously doubt how are we going to keep Lepcis Magna in our Republic in the case of revolt, let alone invasion."

Internal problems and concerns

Proconsulate of Africa:

"The whole protectorate is ready to revolt and there's no mobile legion to be found in a radius of hundreds of miles. You think I am joking? The only active legions are based in Gallia Transalpina and Illyricum! There's no other legions than those in the whole Republic!"

Proconsulate of Cisalpine Gaul:

"The major problem here is the unrest we suffer in Mediolanium and Patavium plus the lack of proper garrisons for the towns of northern Italy."

Central Italy:

"Nothing important here; just a minor rebel uprising. Keep an eye on the undergarrisoned cities."

Southern Italy:

"Same here."

Sicilia Romana:

"Generally, all is well here."

OOC: Coming up, the second part. Corsica & Sardinia plus legions.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

A letter arrived too the senate:
    Senators.
    As you all can see are Sicilia Romana our by far most prosperous region
    outside of Italy and for that most we all thank my precursors.
    My goal this term would be to increase the connection between Sicilia and
    Italy.
    This would grant Rome more denarios and a better trade climate.
    I therefor ask you all, could Rome spare me a decent fleet, enabling me too
    make my goal come true.

Propraetor of Sicily
    Marcus Aelius Triarius
    OOC: It looks like I got a lucky shot, managing this provins
    Last edited by apple; May 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

"may i suggest we build a fort here"
    opens a scroll"
    ooc: forget the red circle just copied fabius picture

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Why a fort there, may I ask? The two entrances to Italia through the Alps are already blocked, also, where will find the troops to guard that place? Unless we are to call up another legion to help. This would put 4 legions on that front, which I don't really think is necessary at the moment. This is the plan I propose for what to do in Cisalpine/Transalpine Gaul:

From my last legion report, I clearly remember that there was a legion, the Legio X I believe, who were aboard a fleet of the coast of Apulania, with nothing to do. They didn't have a commander, nor did they have auxilia, but the cohorts were at full strength. They are sitting in a fleet, idle, and useless to the Republic.

Therefore, what I think we should do is this:
    At the moment, there are two depleted Legions and one full Legion at the Gallic front. The two depleted Legions added together are hardly enough to be called a Legion though. However, both have plenty of auxilia who can easily been trained and retrained in the area. Therefore, most of the auxilia there is still at full strength, and entirely battle worthy.

So why don't we order the Legio X to get off the boats, and march to the Gallic Front and get under the command of one of the depleted legions' legates, plus the auxilia he still holds. Meanwhile, the two depleted legions can return to their homelands to replenish the ranks and build back up to full strength. By the time that's done, the two other legions at the front will probably also be depleted, so then they can be sent back while the two fresh legions march for the front once more.

This cyclic movement should ensure that there is always two fighting-standard legions on the front, and also it lets our legates gain a lot more experience so that the men will get used to them and fight better for them. The men will also gain experience, and will perhaps get up to the standard of Servius Labienus Africanus and Spurius Vitruvius Habitus' veteran legions of the Greek front.

What say you of this plan, senators?

"Senators, let us cleave to the matter at hand; what is to be done with the Gauls, with the Legions and with the rebellious provinces. The people of the Republic are waiting from us to discuss and decide the best course of action. So, let's just do that."

"Now, as my first action in my term, I suggest a motion; to name the provinces of Segesta and Salona as the Proconsulate of Illyricum. This will enable the easiest defense of these provinces since they will be lifted from my hands and positioned in the hands of a dedicated Proconsul. For that man, I propose as an honor to his virtue, Servius Labienus Minor(the "Younger"). If my colleague would be so kind as to open the vote..."

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Junior Consul walks in to the senate hall and goes to his seat.He stands up and begins to speak.

"Senators,listen me.Rome has suffered from the Great War too much and it takes time to restore its former glory.But we will acceed as we got the working hands of good Romans.And we need to secure our borders of course-cities have small garrisons,Africa is going to revolt,Greeks are wandering around our eastern border and rebels are in Italy.I suggest making two legions-one for Italy and one fore Africa.But for that we need money and money comes from cities so we need to improve the infrastructure of our cities.

But my friends,we will do it as we are Romans and have the power to rule the world.

And for the Censor I appoint...(wait a little for that,will edit that later.)

O Sancta Simplicitas!

senator Cassius stands up to speak his mind
    "Why Labienus? I have nothing against him but we shouldn't just give him the position of proconsul, we are a republic maybe another senator would like the honor, we need to have an election for that position. Someone hasn't proven their talent yet might like to show what there made of, would like to have that job, it isn't a popularity contest. Cassius sits back down Thank you for listening to my opinion"
    Last edited by Born To Folk; May 26, 2008 at 02:23 PM.

"Now, as this business with the new Proconsulate is being dealt with, let us, for the moment, discuss the suggestion of Quintus Marius Parthicus."

"First of all, before proceeding with making plans about moving our legions around, we must have the legion reports. I have already given word to my clerks and they do their finest job to collect all the needful information on the legions condition."

"However, what I wanted to argue is the necessity of sending yet another legion north while the Proconsulate of Africa is left without a legion to guard it. So, my proposal would be to send Legio X to Africa and raise a new legion, of Socii(Italian Auxilia), to aid the northern front."

@Senator Cassius,
    "Senator, I was merely giving a suggestion. If someone else likes the honor for this position, then elections will be held - naturally."

Edit: edited in the response for Faustus Cassius!
    Last edited by Kritias; May 26, 2008 at 02:28 PM.

"i don't want the honor myself but i needed to say just in case any other senator wanted the proconsul job"
    ooc:i know tibs made the motion because you asked him but why have we made a motion yet when Caesar hasn't agreed to it.

OOC: I just PROPOSED Caesar for the role, I didn't put him up for the position outright! The vote that I was asking for is for the ratification of Segesta and Salona as a separated Proconsulate.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

ooc: werent they already? I always presumed they were...
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree however consul, the problem is more assigning legions to provinces.
    Not just sending one to africa and sennding green auxilia to gaul.

Servius Labienus 'the younger' (35)
    Senator of Rome

ooc: ok then I'm sorry better say something about yats so im not clogging up the curia with OOCs
    IC: Whats Rome's income?
    OOc: just something random
    Last edited by Born To Folk; May 26, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"Faustus, a propraetorship is not like bread we hand out to any Roman willing to eat it. It is an honour and a responsibility. A propraetor needs to have been praetor, there are only two ex-praetors who have no office in all of Rome, me and Servius Labienus Minor. Now Servius here happens to be my brother-in-law, and besides that he is a great soldier and a good administrator. I am a good politician and an excellent diplomat, but I am not a soldier, nor am I as good an administrator as Servius is. Therefore I will not run for propraetor, Servius runs unopposed."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast