Thread: Counter-revolution (help needed)

Default Counter-revolution (help needed)

Hi there,

I became lately very frustrated of current version of SS 6.1. It's because on one hand, it's awesome with all those perfect features and almost no bugs or issues. But on the other hand, there are those permanent revolutions everywhere!!! This drives me mad as with toggle_fow I only pray every turn that no AI's province goes rebel again... usually it does not help. And even more, the affected settlement is very often the capital of the faction.

I noticed, that the cause of all this is new revised system of settlement order in combination with AI's habit to have only one unit as garrison. I imagine that similar outcome we would get if Byg's traits would have affected AI as well.

I am no big modder, so I need your help as I want to play SS without this tricky non-intentional "feature". I got an idea of giving the AI's settlements (or at least capitals) some kind of public order bonus. I know this will reduce the player's ability to force AI's settlement rebel (fun for me), but it is better then current state.

So my questions are simple, is it possible? What files controls this? If they are too complicated, what exactly in them controls it?

Thank you for any help in advance.

PS. If some of you great modders can do anything about it, I would recommend you for Nobel price in modding (after King Kong of course) :-)

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Default Re: Counter-revolution (help needed)

In my experiences so far, the factions capital (most advanced settlement) is most likely to rebel. That really can put a crimp in the faction in question. In my first Templars campaign, both the Seljuks and the Kievans lost their capitals to rebellion. within the first 50 turns or so.

The files you're looking for are in stainless_steel_6\data.

In export_descr_buildings.txt, look under the various walls for a line like:

happiness_bonus bonus 1

Start by doubling these numbers.

In descr_settlement_mechanics.xml, look for this section:

<factor name="SOF_GARRISON">
    <pip_modifier value="1.25"/>
    </factor>

Increase that number and you'll decrease the amount of garrison necessary to keep the population happy.

Of course, the downside is that doing these things also makes it easier for the human player to under-garrison settlements and blitz the map (presuming that's the way one likes to play).
    Last edited by aduellist; May 18, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Thank you!

I tried the descr_settlements_mechanics.xml with following values:

SOF_GARRISON 1.0 (default 0.75) - None or very little reduction of rebellions.
    SOF_GARRISON 1.25 - Relatively good reduction of rebellions. But still around 2-3 before 10th turn though...

Then I tried combine it with SOF_TAX_RATE_PENALTY

SOF_GARRISON 1.0
    SOF_TAX_RATE_PENALTY 1.5

- Very little impact as it is generally switching the default values...
    SOF_GARRISON 1.25
    SOF_TAX_RATE_PENALTY 1.5

- Looked good initially, but then at turn 12 I had 3 rebellions in core settlements of factions... so obviously not much help.

It seems to me, that there is either another value or rather there is another factor. Perhaps the civil war traits affecting AI's family members and thus creating the revolts? It happens a lot in core settlements of the factions where family member starts, so it would make sense.

For now though I am unable to obtain any solution for this issue, but thanks for tip on that file again!

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Other options:

give capitals better civic and religious buildings at start of game and increase spawn rate of priests.

increase loyalty of starting generals / family heirs.

(Can't guarantee they'll work, but they should help a little.)

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Thank you!

I tried the descr_settlements_mechanics.xml with following values:

SOF_GARRISON 1.0 (default 0.75) - None or very little reduction of rebellions.
    SOF_GARRISON 1.25 - Relatively good reduction of rebellions. But still around 2-3 before 10th turn though...

Then I tried combine it with SOF_TAX_RATE_PENALTY

SOF_GARRISON 1.0
    SOF_TAX_RATE_PENALTY 1.5

- Very little impact as it is generally switching the default values...
    SOF_GARRISON 1.25
    SOF_TAX_RATE_PENALTY 1.5

- Looked good initially, but then at turn 12 I had 3 rebellions in core settlements of factions... so obviously not much help.

It seems to me, that there is either another value or rather there is another factor. Perhaps the civil war traits affecting AI's family members and thus creating the revolts? It happens a lot in core settlements of the factions where family member starts, so it would make sense.

For now though I am unable to obtain any solution for this issue, but thanks for tip on that file again!
    You need to reduce, not increase, SOF_TAX_RATE_PENALTY. Increasing that number raises the negative impact of taxes on happiness and thus increases the likelihood of rebellion. By raising both numbers you've cancelled out the benefit of increasing SOF_GARRISON and put yourself right back where you started.
    Last edited by aduellist; May 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

2aduelist: I know, default is 1.75 for tax_penalty. Anyway I tried with even lower stats, garisson 1.25 and tax_penalty 1.25 and no big difference. Still many rebellions under way...

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    2aduelist: I know, default is 1.75 for tax_penalty. Anyway I tried with even lower stats, garisson 1.25 and tax_penalty 1.25 and no big difference. Still many rebellions under way...
    Sorry, you're right. Had forgotten that the original value for taxes was 1.75.

I think there's something else at work here, maybe through traits or something (which I've also tweaked). The only "plus" is that the factions do seem to be working hard to recover their rebellious settlements. Still, I think it's something that needs to be revisited by the wizards who developed the mod and the campaign AI. I've been able to cut back on the pernicious rebellions through the extra bonii for walls and tweaking the values discussed, but it still does seem that faction capitals are very susceptible to rebellion early on.
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

I posted about this in the bugs thread a while ago. It is such a shame to see great ai factions break up through rebellion.

I had wondered if it was due to the BB&B traits 'offends the nobility' so I posted a file to disable this for my own users. However I think I have seen settlements rebelling without containing an ai general (but can't be sure) so I think this may rule out traits having anything to do with it.

Someone needs to spy an ai king during a rebellion and see what his traits are.

Also when I double click on the various found but unseen settlements across the map I see many destroyed walls (so other buildings most probably are damaged too).

I wonder if the ai is not capable of repairing these, perhaps damaged when they took the settlement, so losing their happiness bonus.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E