Thread: Thanks and some feedback

Foederatus

Icon1 Thanks and some feedback

Hi, first off I would like to congratulate you with your great M2TW modification. It is by far my favorite since it retains so much of the original game's feel.

I do have some questions and quirks though, which I hope you will take as positive criticism.

1. Why did you rename the Russia faction to Kievan Rus? Sure, I still understand the are the Russians but why not keep it simple like all the other factions?

2. I must say the expanded retinue system isn't quite what I would call perfect. Is there any way to remove it? I don't like it because I think it's unbalancing,doesn't fit in the game and I think the icons are, -sorry-, quite sloppy.

3. With your Teutonic update installed I noticed some random crashes when starting a battle, which I cannot reproduce. Will update when I can find a cause.

4. Another bug which seems to be caused by the large campaign map. At a certain tile I entered battle in a hugely deformed landmass, namely a bridge which ended in a huge cliff. In that cliff half they enemy's force spawned, and killed them instantly.

5. When starting a new campaign with the Moors, I always get the "Jeruzalem captured" movie, is this normal?

Again, I cannot stress enough how much I like playing with your modification, thanks to the new AI and bigger map I have my most intense campaigns ever. Good job!

Greets,
    Tim

Default Re: Thanks and some feedback

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your excellent feedback, I will answer your questions.

1. I had resisted changing any faction names in this mod until now. I agree with you in the main, but for this faction to simply be called "Russia" is not appropriate IMO. I honestly believe CA should have named them Kievan Rus in vanilla instead. I also thought about the idea of changing Russia into Novgorod. But that would have been a mistake to call the whole of Russia Novgorod. Because the republic of Novgorod only represented the northern part of Russia. Kievan Rus was the dominant state in Russia and it was also more appropriate to move the capital city from Novgorod to Kiev.

2. I am surprised you are unimpressed with the ancillary titles from Blood Broads & Bastards to be honest. And the graphics from Tokus Maximus are superb as well. But you are entitled to have your own opinion. I think the new ancillaries add a lot to the mod.

3. I haven't experienced any random CTD's yet. How many times has this happened for you and within how many turns may I ask?

4. Please could you post me a screen shot of the tile this bug occured on and I will remap the terrain their, thanks for reporting this

5. Yup thats normal in every campaign when you start. This sets the tone for the whole campaign, a time when the crusader Kingdoms faced the great fight back from Saladin and his armies.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; May 18, 2008 at 05:24 AM.

Foederatus

Icon7 Re: Thanks and some feedback

Thanks for your fast reply Dave.!
    1. Thanks for explaining the Russia renaming thing, I was just wondering about it but now I completely agree.
    2. Well, maybe I just need to get used to it.
    3.The crash happened twice, both when attacking, once with 2 armies of mine, of which one in a city, against 1 force of the enemy, and a simple 1v1 army battle on the plains. It must've been before turn 20. Location: Iberian Peninsula. And oh, I must say it wasn't a CTD but rather an error message, although I havent been able to read it due to my PC acting a little weird.
    4. Will post a screenshot later this evening .
    5. Right, makes perfect sense. Thans for clearing that one up.

Greets,
    Tim
    Last edited by Tilos; May 18, 2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Elaboration

Foederatus

Icon4 Re: Thanks and some feedback

Hi dave,

In the picture, the battle took place on that bridge.

Greets,
    Tim

Thanks I will test this out.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; May 18, 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Okay, the bridge in the picture you attached to your post works perfectly. The AI had no problems with this tile and I was able to go across the bridge and attack normally. As you can see there is absolutely nothing wrong with the land mass in this part of the map.. Can I ask you to post your system specs please? Because if this is the bridge where you experienced these problems then there is something seriously wrong with your setup.
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; May 18, 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Foederatus

Damn, I'm sorry I had you check for naught. I still think I got the tile about right though, I'll do some testing with it myself, maybe it was somewhere else after all. If I see it again or something else like it I'll let it know here.

System specs, well I attached a DxDiag, but may I ask how these two things relate?

Greets,
    Tim