Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historical Accurate Starting Positions

Default Historical Accurate Starting Positions

HISTORICAL ACCURATE STARTING POSITIONS

Mini-mod for Stainless Steel 6.1

Version 1.2

Changelog 1.2
    -
    Standardized garissons of all faction to avoid incompatibilities with other sub-mods
    - Some minor bugs hunted out

Changelog 1.1

- Revised the garissons so there are only correct units for owner faction
    - Revised the garissons to balance factions economies
    - Chances for pirates and brigands were decreased (should occur less common).

Changelog 1.0
    - All factions start with historical accurate starting positions (see the map for details)
    - Initial diplomacy of factions is slightly altered (alliance between the Pope and Templars)
    - Several wars are raging since beginning (At Iberian peninsula between Spain, Portugal and Morrs; between Byzantine Empire and Turks at Anatolia)
    - All rebel settlements were distributed to their historical owners with small inaccurateness due to game limitations.
    - Sweden and Georgia are represented as only rebels on the map.
    - Italian city states were left independent but reduced to one region only. Their armies from other regions were moved near their capitals.
    - Few garissons were altered (Byzantine settlements Adana and Trebizond) to keep them alive for some time at least.

Installation
    - Simply put the attached descr_strat.txt file in Medieval 2 Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\ folder
    - Make backup of the original file!
    - Simply play Early campaign and enjoy!

Compatibility & Known issues
    - None
    Last edited by Resurrection; July 15, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

Default Re: Historical Accurate Starting Positions

RELEASED!

UPDATED!

(now it is more useful imho)

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

This is early or late?

Barser's Avatar Senator

Haha the templers,genoa,venice. Is gonna get OWNED. Especialy the templers.

Nice one though

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    This is early or late?
    Early and balanced according to historical maps based aroun 1100. Only Byzantine Empire was taken bit later (around 1130).

Quote Originally Posted by Barser View Post
    Haha the templers,genoa,venice. Is gonna get OWNED. Especialy the templers.

Nice one though
    Currently yes, especially Templars. Genoa and Venice are meant to be vassals of the Empire, but I didn't manage to get it to work. protectorate_of command makes the faction only ally with military access, but not vassal.

Regarding the Templars I plan to boost them by increasing the purse and giving more units. In fact though I would like to see them being passive at least till first crusade arrives to Levant... Anyway if they die I would not mind that much :-) For players these three (and perhaps even Aragon) would pose the biggest challange!

Resurrection:

I tried using your mod on new early era campaigns for England, Germand and Genoa, but my computer crashed every time I hit the start button. I have SS 6.1 with RR. Is your mod compatible? If so, any other idea what might be wrong?
    Faction Crown Mod for Stainless Steel 6.1

Excellent mod idea! I look forward to trying it out soon. Would be very interesting to play as the Italian factions now.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

If the submod still start's at 1080 then Give Nikaea and Canakale ti Seljuks!
    As a roman i wish it would be otherwise but this was like in real!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

This is a map with the empire's position and Seljuks(green)and Armenia(red).

If there is no armenia the Cilikia must be under the Empire's order!
    And Antioch must be full with byzantine troops rebeling against the empire!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Barser's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    This is a map with the empire's position and Seljuks(green)and Armenia(red).

If there is no armenia the Cilikia must be under the Empire's order!
    And Antioch must be full with byzantine troops rebeling against the empire!

What is that lightblue thingy? The ottoman whale tribe:hmmm:?

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

Quote Originally Posted by The Lionheart View Post
    Resurrection:

I tried using your mod on new early era campaigns for England, Germand and Genoa, but my computer crashed every time I hit the start button. I have SS 6.1 with RR. Is your mod compatible? If so, any other idea what might be wrong?
    Unfortunately I encountered very same issue myself today. I don't understand it either as I play with it for many days... Will look into it though. I perosanlly use RR+RC and removed Byg's traits. But none of those should affect it. I will try to figure it out asap :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NoahShepherd View Post
    Excellent mod idea! I look forward to trying it out soon. Would be very interesting to play as the Italian factions now.
    Thnaks! In fact I will have to reduce Genoa's initial army a bit, because they usually rush nearby small garissoned HRE's provinces. Wouldn't be a problem if I mangae the vassalage thinggy to get working...

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    If the submod still start's at 1080 then Give Nikaea and Canakale ti Seljuks!
    As a roman i wish it would be otherwise but this was like in real!
    I know, but unfortunately that would hamper Byzantium too much. For Byzzies I used situation after the starting date, around mid 12th century to give them some chance. Maybe I can give it to Seljuks in future versions, will se how such change would affect the behaviour. In my current games Byzzies still got kick ass everytime :-(

UPDATED FIRST POST (not the mod itself)

I figured out what causes the CTD - it was Stone forts mod.

Resurrection
    Now I love history stuff, and play some other mods which have a greater emphasis on this area, so I am all for such efforts, but could you please post the map this is based on as I would love to lampoon it. If you are going to be accurate, France is a total fantasy, Armenia has vanished, Denmark should own Dublin, will not mention Byzantium, Kiev is just bizzare, etc. I do not want to be mean, but the map does not represent 1100's europe.

Suspect you have been fooled by maps such as http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...anean_1097.jpg which show France as one country, which is a total misrepretation of fact. This might give you an idea of how much the King of the Franks actually ruled http://www.btinternet.com/~timeref/williammap1.htm, these are quite good as well http://www.euratlas.com/time2.htm (in fact I think that the 1100's map is the one that KK basis his ideas on).

In my version of the game I have many minor factions with historical leaders ruling them, as you cannot just give these away to a faction. You are going to have those who support Flanders, Serbia, Bulgaria etc up in arms. It looks like only Georgia, Sweden and Finns are the only ones to have survived. Its hard to do some things as some locatiuons do not exist, but still thats the point of minor factions.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

nice mod +rep

about stone forts i will see that wrong
    Under the patronage of Nakharar
    DM Multi modding project

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Resurrection
    Now I love history stuff, and play some other mods which have a greater emphasis on this area, so I am all for such efforts, but could you please post the map this is based on as I would love to lampoon it. If you are going to be accurate, France is a total fantasy, Armenia has vanished, Denmark should own Dublin, will not mention Byzantium, Kiev is just bizzare, etc. I do not want to be mean, but the map does not represent 1100's europe.

Suspect you have been fooled by maps such as http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...anean_1097.jpg which show France as one country, which is a total misrepretation of fact. This might give you an idea of how much the King of the Franks actually ruled http://www.btinternet.com/~timeref/williammap1.htm, these are quite good as well http://www.euratlas.com/time2.htm (in fact I think that the 1100's map is the one that KK basis his ideas on).

In my version of the game I have many minor factions with historical leaders ruling them, as you cannot just give these away to a faction. You are going to have those who support Flanders, Serbia, Bulgaria etc up in arms. It looks like only Georgia, Sweden and Finns are the only ones to have survived. Its hard to do some things as some locatiuons do not exist, but still thats the point of minor factions.
    Well it's not fantasy, but combination of two factors:

1) M2TW by no means can represent historicaly accurate feudal Europe.

2) As this is supposed to be mod for SS, I had several ideas on mind:
    - getting rid of annoying necessity of conquering rebels everytime the same
    - preventing ahistorical behaviour a little = no Genoese conquering whole southern France or fall of Constantinople in 1100...
    - giving player real big medieval kingdom to rule over. And believe me, try this out and you won't even think of expansion to other factions first 20 turns at least.
    - with given means and SS chosen of factions restoring simplified map of 1100 Europe

So again, I am aware of what you posted, but it is simply not achievalbe in SS. I am part of one other mod which strives to simulate this, but for SS this is maximum we can do imho. HRE would not exist at all if we apply your ideas. Emperor did rule nothing apart his heritage lands, which is somewhat simulated in Das Heilige Römishe mod... For SS circumstances there is option either make the HRE as big as it was in 1100 or don't have it at all.

Other approach can be as you stated - making all rebels and giving them rulers according to history. But since rebels are passive (even more then Ireland), they would be just sitting duck until player comes and conquers them. No fun for me as it's all the same and it's the very idea against which I made my sub-mod :-)

As for maps and Sweden/Finland/Georgia. Sweden was major power those days and owned Finalsn. Same goes for Georgia. As instead of them we have Templars and Ireland, I just leave them rebels, because they really were never part of any neigbouring faction.

Here goes Kiev according to owned cities. Size of its provinces on SS's map is beyond me...

As for Dublin - it was more English city by the time of 1100, but for game purposes, I gave Ireland a little chance and gave them the city.

Byzzies are most inaccurate as I mentioned before and it still isn't enough for them to survive in AI's hands...

Many kingdoms, such as Denmark had their holds elsewhere, but due to limitaion of the game and because of SS's choice of provinces, I balanced things out as much as I could. For instance Zagreb was not part of the HRE, but all lands around were - compromise.

So no, this is not precise appearance of 1100 Europe, but for me it's closest I can get with SS/M2TW. I also made some changes in the spirit of reducing rebels to minimum and tried to give certain factions a chance in new circumstances.

Anyway I don't force you to use this, I made it for myself and thought there could be some people who would appreciate the idea behind it (fortunately there are :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Master Zuma View Post
    nice mod +rep

about stone forts i will see that wrong
    Would be very kind of you as I like your stone forts mod

Resurrection
    If you want to have a LE version for EE, then thats fine, its the title which led me to believe you had altered things to be more 'accurate', as opposed to trying to achieve a balanced large empire early campaign mod. As to slave factions not moving, well thats due them being modded that way, give them some cash, the ability to build in EDB and remove the 'stay at home for 999 turns' value and they do fine.

btw Dublin did not become 'english' till 1171, when the norse moved north of the river.

But has been noted many times, an accurate mod, may not be a balanced mod, so I will wish that you have fun with this mod.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Well first I wanted to be "accurate" as stated in title, but soon I realised, that historical accuracy is absolutely unplayable in SS so I changed the idea a bit to reach compromise. I had Dublin in Danes hands, but it rebelled before end of turn 5 in every of my testing campaigns... On the other hand when the constant world rebellion is solved somehow, I may reconsider this and make really accurate version of my little mod if it turns to be playable then :-)

I am no big modder so modding rebels is beyond my capabilities unfortunately... do not know even where to start :-/ Becuase if they can be made active, then it would effectively solve my orginal problem I had with SS and which led to this mod after all. Then I would love to make really accurate historical starting points and would not fear to use rebels! Fine idea, but unless somebody helps me out, it will stay as just good idea...

Thanks for feedback anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Barser View Post
    What is that lightblue thingy? The ottoman whale tribe:hmmm:?
    Nice!!!!!!

[quote=Quark;3078431]Resurrection
    As to slave factions not moving, well thats due them being modded that way, give them some cash, the ability to build in EDB and remove the 'stay at home for 999 turns' value and they do fine.
    [quote]

Well shouldn't that be done then?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast