Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mercenaries

Glorfindel's Avatar Centenarius

Default Mercenaries

what about them?

i think there should be mercs from ALL races, even from elves...

what do you think?
    Glorfindel, the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

Default Re: Mercenaries

I think Elves would never hire themself as mercenary's and even when you do make them mercenary's, than you would get strange things like mordor with elven units.

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Maybe just same peasants,orcs,freeriders
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

bingster088's Avatar Tiro

The corsairs of Umbar! It says in the third movie Sauron hired mercenaries from the coast. They should be mercenaries avalible only to the evil factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Elphir of Dol Amroth View Post
    I think Elves would never hire themself as mercenary's and even when you do make them mercenary's, than you would get strange things like mordor with elven units.
    elves available to only to humans with very little cost (to represent that they want mainly to help them)

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

deathmaw's Avatar Ordinarius

elves should not be mercs period they would never slope to such things men, orcs, corsair's, dwarves, all those races would work except elves just NO
    One by one they fell to the power of the Ring

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
    elves available to only to humans with very little cost (to represent that they want mainly to help them)
    Agreed, only men should have elven mercs, and I like the "low cost" idea.

Quote Originally Posted by deathmaw View Post
    elves should not be mercs period they would never slope to such things men, orcs, corsair's, dwarves, all those races would work except elves just NO
    I disagree, elves did help men on several occasions, and thus men should be able to "hire" them.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

deathmaw's Avatar Ordinarius

True elves did help men but it was actualy a rare thing as Elrond said "Men, Men are weak the blood of Men is spent it's pride and dignity forgotten it is because of Men the Ring survived" most Elves looked down on Men because of the frailness of mind and body
    One by one they fell to the power of the Ring

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Thats true
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Colonel Cleg McLeg's Avatar Decanus
    Cardiff or Wrexham, in Wales, depending on the time of year.

Mercs, yes, but not mercenary elves. Yes, they fought alongside men, but since when is that justification for allowing them to be mercenaries? I just can't picture a mercenary elf...

Ah I think it would be a very good idea to have elven mercenaries avaible to men
    Movie maker for the Third Age Total War

Yes, gameplay wise it would be really cool, but if you follow the lore it's ridiculus to have Elven mercrenaries.

You can have all kind of evil mercenaries - corsairs, orcs and goblins (very cheap, for them, it's about the fight, not the money), Southrons, Easterlings...

For the good factions, it's difficult. They did help each other out, but no Gondorian, Rohirrim, Dwarf or Elf was ever actually hired...

You could include the rangers of the North and some fighters from Bree, though. The Dunedain Rangers were excellent archers and also knew how to use a sword.

Also, you could be able to hire powerful Beorning melee warriors, they helped out the elves in the Third Age.
    Last edited by Count Froody; May 17, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
    "He is suffering from Politician's Logic: 'Something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it.'"
    - Yes, Prime Minister

In regards to elven mercenaries, I agree, they shouldn't be MERCENARIES.
    They should be a faction you could like ask for help and they could come to your aid, you know?

I agree with E-man on this one, Elves should not be mercenaries, but they should be a very dependable ally.
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

Just do the whole "crusade" thing...Say you call a "Call to Arms" On Mordor, then you can hire Elves to help, sorta like Crusader Knights in vanilla.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Only elven mercenary unit I can imagine as a wise choice, would be probably some sort of Dark Elf mercenary unit . Though it sounds kinda cool to me to use Dark Elven mercenaries . But where you could recruit them :hmmm:? Maybe from deep and dark forests of Mirkwood but I bet there wasn't very much Dark Elves left at the end of Third Age or anywhere else in the north-west Middle-Earth at that period. They had mostly joined to silvan elves ages ago. So I agree with Code_Knight and E-Man that elven mercenaries aren't so wise idea if team wants to stay loyal for Tolkien's mythology.

silvan elves ARE Dark Elves (those who have not seen the light of the 2 trees)

you don't have to ALWAYS follow the book
    it will not be much fun if humans don't have some elven archers with them...

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

@ Glorfindel

No , I mean those real-deal Dark Elves who never joined to any elven communities and weren't in touch with higher elves like silvan elves who learned all kinds of staff from noldor and teleri.

Dark Elves where, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) elves that never beheld the light of the trees and never went to Valinor. However, 'dark' here doesn't mean any lack of honor, they just loved Middle-Earth too much. I don't think they were mercenaries in any way, it just doesn't fit any elves in my opinion. Better make them dependable allies, like Code Knight said
    "He is suffering from Politician's Logic: 'Something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it.'"
    - Yes, Prime Minister

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast