Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] My first AAR: The Mighty Migrating Templars

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

Default Re: My first AAR: The Mighty Migrating Templars

nice AAR I especially like the touch of a Greek kingdom with a Catholic touch
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Lookin' good once again. Keep it up. You're really making me want to get SS.

Expansion in the Desert
    1221-1225

The sieges on Luxor and Al Aqaba continue into this next round. Luxor lacks the supply line and determination to hold out long however and in 1222, the King of Greece, Theodericus attacks.

The Battle --------------------------------

^Fighting on the walls.

^The Fatimid commander runs in cowardice to his inner-most fortress.

^But the Templars break the gate open and are ready to end this.

-------------------------------------------------------

That same year Lothar himself is victorious.

It seems while our war is continuing its success a new war in Western Europe has nearly destroyed the Holy Reich's presence in Central Europe.

^ The King of Jerusalem has also joined the war in the Holy land. Though he is of Sicilian descent the reputation of this holy defender of Jerusalem is as big as our Lothar's.

^ Out of the chaos of the Holy Roman Empire collapsing the Teutonic Order we heard of not so long ago has decided to found its own holy state. Surely the German order is merely emulating our Holy Templars success.

^ Egypt and the Holy land in 1225 A.D. Our forces have rallied with Lothar in Al Aqaba and soon the final push for destroying the Fatimids will be carried out in Gaza and then Arabia. The Turks have also successfully pushed the Khwarezmian empire back to Persia.
    Last edited by Kaiserjagen; June 09, 2008 at 01:58 PM.

Man on this computer I can't see half the pictures. I'm on vacation, BTW. I'm taking a break from the beach to catch up on what's going on. Keep up the good work.

Hmmm I wonder if the Templars are going to be the new eastern roman empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    Lookin' good once again. Keep it up. You're really making me want to get SS.
    then get it, it doesn't overwrite any other mod you have cause it creates a new folder
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this! - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Exarch's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

great update!!
    looking forward to more
    kaiserjagen u have a talent for AARs

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Awsome man, again, keep it up

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I love this AAR, congratulations. It looked like the Templars were in the Doldrums there for a couple of years. I am surprised that you managed to pull out of it, even with the reload.

Thanks for the comments as always guys.

The Second Fatimid War Ends
    1225 A.D. - 1234 A.D.

So the war continues. In Al Aqaba the King of Egypt raises his army for a strike against the fortress of Gaza. It should take no longer then a couple of years and the Fatimids are unlikely to get aggressive anytime soon.

In 1227 the Roman Emperor Evdaemon died while campaigning in Iconium. The long war with the Turks started only slightly before the Athenian rebellion had been costly and had consumed the Emperor's reign. Though Evdaemon was an intelligent man this obsession had only brought the empire grief and ever diminishing borders in the east with only small territorial gains in Asia Minor.

Meanwhile in the Near East a significant event took place. The great Sicilian King of Jerusalem Orlando had perished and his sickly son took the throne. The Pope who had already excommunicated the King of Sicily had kept himself from declaring a crusade as long as Orlando had been in power in Jerusalem. Orlando though of the heathen Sicilian yoke was a great king and respected by Catholic and Saracen alike. With him out of the picture, the pope wished for a different Catholic kingdom to take the seat of Jerusalem.

Quickly nearly half of Europe answered the call. Lothar had no intentions of taking Jerusalem, at least, not yet. But a crusader claim would reinforce his tired army. Though successful in this second war so far Lothar's army never really had recovered completely from the first invasion of Egypt and was merely a shadow of its former self at this point.

But taking Gaza was vital to finishing this war. So officially a war was declared on the new king of Jerusalem. Not the kingdom but the inept king in charge. As a declaration of war on this most holy state was a mortal sin in the eyes of the pope, this was merely an act replacing the king with a more suitable ruler.

^Gaza under siege

^ A counter attack by the elite armies of Gaza

^ A close battle. The enemy fought well.

^ With a narrow victory peace is needed fast especially since another Fatimid army has been spotted near Al Aqaba.

^ The Fatimids unaware of our weakness (both in funds and troops) again accepts a demanding peace treaty. This one gives up all its claims outside of Western Arabia.

News reaches Theodericus in Alexandria in 1230. News of another Roman Emperor rising to the throne. It seems their is great political turmoil following the death of Evdaemon and Evdaemon's initial successor has been murdered. The empire is clearly on the decline now. Its hard to believe that when the great Grandmaster Hugues founded the Depotate of Epirus that the Roman Empire was the greatest state in Europe and the middle east. Now it is easy pickings for Magyars and Seljuk Turks.

^ Keeping our alliance with the much more powerful Hungary required us to abandon the oldest alliance in Europe.

In 1234 another Roman Emperor is declared overthrowing his predecessor. This can only mean the worst for the citizens of the empire. That same year the Hungarians take the fortress of Adrianople and siege Constantinople.

Also in 1234 a new pope comes to the seat of St. Peter.

^ Another glorious Greek pope is elected. The many states under control by the Templar Order hold the majority of cardinal seats.

More good news in 1234 for the Hungarian kingdom.

^ The Magyars have now placed one of their own as the new king of Jerusalem.

The Templars next move is now unclear. We could restore order to the Imperial throne by placing a Templar as the Roman Emperor or we could even expand into Sicily which is still excommunicated and under a heathen king. We are in a favourable position being able to control our next move.

Our new lands in 1234 A.D. All have been incorporated into the Kingdom of Egypt under the direct rule of the Councillor Lothar.
    Last edited by Kaiserjagen; June 12, 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Great stuff as usual. I'd say retrain and consolidate your forces in Egypt, then expand from your settlement in Asia Minor and restore order to the Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkNIrishMan View Post
    Great stuff as usual. I'd say retrain and consolidate your forces in Egypt, then expand from your settlement in Asia Minor and restore order to the Empire.
    you stole the words right out of my mouth

I agree with DrunkNIrishMan and Nole

yeh.
    agreed
    good job btw!!!

good suggestion and as always great up-date

then get it, it doesn't overwrite any other mod you have cause it creates a new folder
    I shall get it as soon as I get back to my computer. Must...have...SS...

It's like the RS of M2.

An Era of Change
    1234 A.D. - 1243 A.D.

The next decade of Templar history has very little action in terms of direct warefare, but what it lacks in conquest it makes up for in monumental events.

King Theodericus of Greece makes his way back to his seat in Thessalonica early in 1235 while King Lothar of Egypt guards the eastern frontier at the stronghold of Kerak. In 1239 Theodericus faces rebellion in both Serbia and Epirus. The regions had grown weary from their absent king whose years in Egypt helping Lothar had created a disconnect from him and his people. Quickly though the Templar grandmaster made his authority felt and quelled the rebellion before Christmas.

In 1240 two huge events took place. Events that were related to each other significantly. The King of Hungary in his war with the Venetian Republic had reached a wall. Despite having the superior armies, he struggled when it came to take the city of Venice itself. The city was in a strategic place where a classic siege was difficult to carry out, and thus required a new weapon.

That weapon was gunpowder!

The Hungarian king had bought several primitive cannons from a far eastern emissary, consequently unleashing the technology to Europe for the first time.

The result...

In 1242 Hungary used this technology to take down the walls of Constantinople, effectively robbing the Roman Empire of her capital for a second time in its history. Meanwhile in Persia the Mongol armies already outfitted with gunpowder weaponry took the capital Khiva from the mighty Khwarezmian Empire.

1242 proved to be more busy in the Holy Roman Empire's attack of a Papal army. It seems the new Holy Roman Emperor had united many of the provinces in central Europe previously lost in their last war and now had its sights set on taking the rest of the Italian peninsula, Including the now rebel government of Venice which overthrew its Hungarian conquerers quickly. Our alliance with the Reich had to end of course noone declared war on the Papacy without the Templars hearing about it.

Abruptly in August the peace within Templar lands ended yet again. Sicily had rebuilt a power base in North Africa and was now heading east.

^It seems Sicily wanted to get conquered.

A campaign is now in the works we will sweep across the African coast and work our way through the Sicilian Islands finally declaring war against the enemies of the Papacy and taking Italy for the faithful.

An army must be built with the newest of technology. Gunsmiths are currently being built in the strategic locations of Ragusa, Thessalonica, Athens, Alexandria, Antioch and Gaza.

Other events in 1243 include.
    - The Kingdom of Jerusalem expands itself to include the fortress of Acre. The Magyars have done wonders in the kingdom.
    - Moors start a jihad against the Christian factions in Spain.
    - the Mongolian armies continue westward quickly conquering the Persians.

Kill those Trectoruos (spelling), Blasphomous (spelling?) Sicilians!
    and those HRE heathens when your done with those wrecthes!

nice update

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Seems like you'll have a nice new Western Roman Empire growing there.

I'd deal with Hungary before HRE if I were you, but for RP purposes I'd say blast those heathen dogs with fire from heaven.

Also, are you sure your treasurey can handle an extended war?
    Last edited by Junius; June 17, 2008 at 09:04 PM.

i like ur campaign plan
    excellent work dood

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast