Thread: Install Folder

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Install Folder

This might be obvious but just to check, as I play SS already and have an eye on another mod aswell as this. I was wondering if this mod will install into a serperate mod folder and not affect any other files.
    I ask this as I would want to play SS, this and Libertas Vel Mors when it comes out.

2nd question today, im on a roll

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Install Folder

Yes definitely, separate mod folder and totally compatible with the use of other mods!
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Opifex

Yeah, the mod's been having its own folder since internal beta v0.3 (we're on 0.6 now). Makes sharing between teammates and keeping different versions a snap!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

How is the beta now?

May I ask, do the Romans come to dominate a lot of the peninsula on their own, or is it another faction? (that's all I wanna know)

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Opifex

Romans are not 'another faction'. We're putting a lot of effort into every faction, including those often slighted by the attentions of others -- the Etruscans, Samnites, Gauls, Apulians, etc. But, Romans will have inherent advantages not open to anybody else. It is still under discussion what those will be.

That's one of the major reasons why I want to finish my election script for the Romans, as that would set them apart a heck of a lot from other factions, and underline the importance of their republic for them and Western history. If I get it to work finally, Romans would incur a limitation of having only 2 generals at any one time, but that position of a consul carrying extremely heavy bonuses to authority, loyalty, etc. The guy may inherently have low authority, but once elected he could have level 8 or 9. May wax and wane about Roman allegiance, but if elected have undivided loyalty. There wasn't a single consul who so much as winked against Roman interests after Coriolanus, and the authority of a consul carried terrible weight behind it all throughout republican history. So massive bonuses will be accrued there. We may also add inherent command stars to whoever would be the current consul, but in any case that bonus would be small, as more than one consul displayed errors in judgment in military matters, and election to office in no way guaranteed military proficiency.

But again, on the other hand, when characters would be out of office and out of the game, all of their old traits will be saved, so that if you have an 8-star Papirius Cursor whom you highly value, it is quite likely that he will be re-elected eventually and you'll get to use him again in the future. Again it will be a balance, and with dumb consuls you'll have to run for the hills, while with smart ones you will carry victories for the republic.

That's just one aspect to how Romans will be different (if I get the danged script working). On the other hand I doubt we will be raising their unit stats above what they should be, or giving extra cash. Roman superiority should appear organically, such as that during sieges, the 'auto-garrison' army would be larger than for other factions, that they will have no loyalty problems whatsoever, that they'll have quite impressive cultural buildings which will convert men to the values of the republic faster than other factions can convert cultures. Etc. It will be interesting to play.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; May 14, 2008 at 08:32 PM.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Romans are not 'another faction'
    I think you misunderstood me.

I wasn't suggesting they were. I was just questioning how the AI behaves in the mod. (like how Milan ferociously attacks everything in vanilla)

Sorry if I offended you.

Game of the Fates
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.

Opifex

What, there wasn't offense at all What I was saying was that even given that all of our factions would be given attention and special uniqueness, Romans still would stand out and wouldn't just be another Pitalica faction -- hence the effort I emphasized in regards to elections, certain other slight advantages such as larger 'auto garrison' spawns, etc.

As for whether Romans would be just another faction in terms of AI, that's a good question. On the one hand, I would hope that the slight advantages just mentioned will make the Roman faction slightly more able to succeed than all of its neighbors, and there wouldn't be a need to revamp the AI just for its sake. But even so, we're definitely looking into perhaps editing the Roman AI to be more 'Roman', i.e. incapable of admitting defeat, aggressive, open to any and every trade deals, etc.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks.

Game of the Fates

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Awesome stuff!!! Though I have a little question about that cool election-thingy
    Like where the greek poleis in southern italy "democratic" too at the time? And if, will they also have some kind of election for archon or something like that?

PS: I have to admti that this mod will be the one that make me stop playing Rome(EB) and finally use my m2tw disc. Damn you!

I didn't think that many Greek city-states were democratic, except for Athens. Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't they mostly dictatorial?

Game of the Fates

kekesvar.bingos's Avatar Miles
    The Only and Ultimate Walachian Kingdoms (err yes, there are more of them...)

well athens were bastion of democracy in time of pericles, most of other city states had one or the other form of polycracy too (but they werent ruled by mob for sure!), they didnt favoured monarchy much for quite a long time (since 8th century BC i guess)... but tyrranies were common too (notably in Syracusae), for detailed review of greek poleis and their govermental systems in 3rd century BC read Aristotle´s Politics (not whole, only some part of it, not sure wich one it is...part 8 to 10 maybe?)... great book (not-too-long and understandable)
    Last edited by kekesvar.bingos; May 26, 2008 at 05:46 AM.

Opifex

Yeah, the typical MTW2/RTW system of seized government and lifetime rule are very well suited to Syracuse of the time (and to practically all other factions, frankly). They had a boatload of tyrannies, seizures of office and government, etc. Agathocles, that most famous tyrant, held his office for as long as he breathed. So Romans should be the only ones who get such inordinate attention in terms of their political system, in the sense of how important it is, and from the perspective that it adds interesting new angles to your gameplay (your generals will be frequently replaced, without your control).

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams