Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress thread

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Progress thread

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    @AnthoniusII - well it shoud be reasonably historical at least.
    But afcourse my friend...A game has it's limitations but all that info that will be inqluted would help many of us that we have not knowlege of the era,area and other things to learn some more!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I still need to finish off more of the family trees as well (but thats quite slow work) and then finally revamp a lot of the scripts. This will take some time to complete but its getting there .. slowly.

Is any assistance needed with this mod at all? I've been doing some private bits and pieces for a similar time period on the original kingdoms Britannica map (much more squashed), and one area where I've been able to work on well is the family tree's for a number of irish, welsh and norman families (O'Connor's, O'Neill Mor, MacCarthy Mor of Desmond, ap Gruffyd, Marcher Lords, Earldom of Ulster, Hiberno-Normans).

If assistance or help is needed I'd be happy to lend a hand if it lessened the load in other areas.

I can send a sample of some of my family trees later when I finish work if you'd like to take a look before saying yay or nay

...history abhors a paradox

-------------

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

@raziel_eire - If you can PM me. This is a short time period though so what I'm after really concerns the families just before and then during the 1280-1330 time period. I have had an offer of some help but it won't be arriving early so if you have anything tied around the Irish factions or the deBurghs, fitzgeralds that would help. I think the other faction I need info on will be the English Percy's but they are actually slightly too late for this period (I added them due to a need for someone in the North East of England other than Anthony Bek.

wilddog, I sent you a PM there

Here's an ingame example of the family of Owain ab Gwynedd, the ruling family of one of my factions, the Principality of Wales

-------------

@raziel_eire - I'll respond to your PM. The Tree is well detailed and interestingly its the same start point I used in the tree posted in #207 although we show slight variations due partly to which children we opted to show.

looks very similar albeit yours being 25yrs more advanced so that bit fuller

what max-age did you use for your characters? did you go above 100? 8 different levels I'm guessing is pretty difficult to squeeze in with historically correct ages - I know I've had to do plenty of tweaking to fit the millions of O'Connors of Connacht into the one tree and I've only used up 5 levels so far

-------------

@raziel_eire - Yes I set max age to 200.

I've been going back through some of the older, original posts wilddog and as I've offered to help out with family trees I've spotted something that you touched on originally...

Gaelic names for Irish factions? Most of my own work has been based around the CNP release, with plenty of additions of my own... so would you still be intent on not having gaelic names if I put the work in?

Also, in addition to gaelic names, I have the names of approx 26 major towns in Ireland in their old gaelic/norse names which I can offer up too - for regions themselves I've went for the medieval anglized versions - Co. Cavan area = Brefney

-------------

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

@wilddog
    mod looks cool. The strat map loos around the size i always want it Good luck with the work

@raziel_eire
    I was just wondering where you got the names of the irish/norse names? I'm making a map of Ireland c. 850AD and i'm finding it difficult to get names of towns rather then families? Does any of your information date back that far?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

@smoesville
    I've a book on place names at home (at work at the min) and I know some of the towns have names dating back that far but would have to check - fire me a list of some and I'll see what I can dig up

@wilddog
    Ignore the part of my PM where I mention the Bishopric of Durham... I've read the above post again and you mention Anthony Bek

-------------

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

@raziel_eire

I was just wondering where you got the names of the irish/norse names? I'm making a map of Ireland c. 850AD and i'm finding it difficult to get names of towns rather then families? Does any of your information date back that far?
    slight problem - no irish towns at this date.
    as far as I can work out earliest irish towns were either outgrowths of buildings associated with monastries or Viking longphorts.
    major urban development came with Norman townships.

see "An Atlas of itrish history" by R.D. Edwards and B. Hourican p210 in google books
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7...esult&resnum=5

---------

also check the Archaeology Ireland journal
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; July 24, 2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: further info

@ Rozanov

there exist some towns of the modern day that are recorded as being known places or in existence (in some shape or form, monasteries or viking settlements & ports as you mention) either before or at the time that Smoesville is querying.

Granted, calling them towns back then is not the correct terminology for what we now know a town to be. Perhaps settlement/inhabited area/royal place/fort are better terms to describe them then that which followed with the Norman's influence and interest in urbanization.

Examples such as Downpatrick - recorded as being known as Duin Lethglaisse in 496, a named fort orginally, that is now and was through history a major settlement

Connor in Antrim is recorded as Condere in 514

Dublin was founded as a town in the 9th century, approx mid 800's but existed as a settlement well before that

...I figured it was helpful to say I could check if some towns Smoesville had in mind had a recorded name before, at, or just after his/her intended date of 850, rather then say there were no real towns before the Normans came

I doubt there are/were that many anyway, so it would still be sparsely populated - but better then none at all

-------------

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

where did you get your info from sounds interesting

reliable internet sites and a list of books I have...

Oxford Dictionary of British Place Names (incl. Ireland)
    Penguin Illustrated History of Britain and Ireland; from earliest times to the present day
    A History of Britain 1: 3000 BC - AD 1603 - Simon Schama
    (Oxford Short History of the British Isles)The 12th & 13th Centuries - Barbara Harvey
    From Kings to Warlords - Katherine Simms

-------------

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Towns was a poor choice of words. Though i do have a lot of monasteries and viking outposts as well as the territories held by certain families i was wondering what would be better? a series of rath fianach/dun neill style names? Also is there somewhere else this could be discussed as it has nothing to do with the thread?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville
    Also is there somewhere else this could be discussed as it has nothing to do with the thread?
    ..... or this subforum

Hi
    We've been distracted into doing some fiddling around with battlement settlements again. I hope to post something on that soon. The revamped strat map textures are mostly done and a couple of new screen shot shave been posted at the link below.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...09#post5774309

OK the good news is that we've been able to work out how to amend the main world terrain features (ie terrain, path finding and vegetation) in a relatively straight forward manner. So whilst we can't create a new settlement we can certainly change the surrounding features to make it more realistic. Note we aren't planning a massive lot of changes here but I wanted to see how easy it was to do at least a few different ones.

Main issue is likely to be size of the mod and internal memory constraints though (we already had to do some changes to avoid a graphics memory error when returning to the strat map).

Not really progressing much at this time. Opted to put more effort into the .word modifier bits. Terrain editing tool is completed for that (Thanks to KE's help as I tried to find my way around a bit of python programming). Anyway having got the bug for trying new things again we've decided to invest more time into the .world investigation. So as usual slow here with hardly any progress on the remaining strat/battle model captains/generals model skins lately.

Sorry about this but we wanted to spend a few weeks on this to try and finally resolve it (Mak is just dying to do a version of Caerphilly castle).

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

@raziel_eire - Yes I set max age to 200.
    Did you test this yet? I set the max age to 300 myself and all characters seem te reset to 0 after reaching 128. Or is this for the family tree to work?