Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Progress thread

Default Re: Progress thread

Last edited by xHolyCrusader; December 14, 2017 at 05:50 PM.

Is this officially dead?

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Most probably yeah. Too bad for all those custom castles sitting on someone's HD doing nothing.

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

100% yes it's dead, head on over to Albion-Total-War

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...bion-Total-War

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Oy! But yes probably... we do keep having ideas of reviving it but it has been a while!

Phil, just saying it's not good form to promote the mod in another's forum..

Makanyane, sorry to hear about that, this mod and your work largely inspired my mod!

If only we could have collaborated!

Nevertheless, thank you guys for the inspiration, knowledge and all the work you did with this game and tools over the years

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Oy! But yes probably... we do keep having ideas of reviving it but it has been a while!
    I learned a lot of things from you, my Mentor. Back in 2008, you and gigantus were the only active and knowledgeable modders in the med2 mod workshop. Willddog and You are the most underrated modders of TWC.

Hope RL is treating you guys well. I would've PMed you but i lost access to my original account and the staff hasn't responded to my request, probably won't.

-Ishan

I'd like to add my thanks to Mak and Wilddog too, they took modding M2 one step further and they would help anyone at the drop off a hat.

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Is there anything from this mod still downloadable somewhere on the internet (besides the two castle models) or is it all lost forever?
    Last edited by Elendil 03; February 15, 2019 at 07:12 AM.

Apart from those fort models nothing got finished enough to be released... but it is still around on our computers, and having now acquired a bit more time due to virus and getting near the end of IWTE developement, PKH could be having a come-back. Also due to the IWTE advances on getting new anims to work we can now try to redesign with some rescaled walls that would be more suitable to the era.

Last time I tried to do strat map trees I broke the campaign map reload I'm having another attempt now I know a bit more about things;

we're also rescaling the heights and sizes of some of the strat map stuff to make it visually more interesting. Estimated release date at current rate of progress 2030

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Don't worry, we'll be there!
    Aut prodesse voluit aut delectare auctor aut simul et iucunda et idonea dicere vitae.

Medieval II Stuff: Medieval & Viking Invasion music addon | Bellum Crucis Enhanced All-In-One | Elendil's Font Packs & Eye Candy | Alba di Rinascita - Fonts pack (included in the former) | The Eldar Scrolls - Fonts pack

Glad to hear that! As an example of why this might take a while I've just spent 5 days re-learning the thing I already knew, that you can't usefully use alpha'd textures on the strat-map trees...

If you want things that look like bare branches you need to actually model them - without using too many tri's - or getting any of the vertexes too close along the angle of the shadows!

We're trying for a more varied 'winter' look - north gets patchy snow - south gets autumn and 'frosts' - I know having autumn without a winter/spring is a bit odd, but so is having all of Britain under full snow for 3 or 4 months of a year.

Pics of progress on the strat trees below:

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Oo, those are some very pretty trees
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Thanks KA They still need a bit of sorting but I've diverted off into other things.

Trying to redo the menu screens to give things a bit more depth which I'll preview at some point...

Also trying to develop some more appropriate battle-map models/textures for standard houses to be scattered around outside the castles, or in the outer bailey of larger castles. Have wasted a few days on that trying to get it to work by putting groups of houses in as 'slot_filler' techtrees, then decided that's not flexible enough as techtrees have some issues which means they're buggy if you rotate them and/or try to use them on sloping ground.

WIP village dwellings - trying to develop some more appropriate wattle & daub and cob type construction versions. They need some tweaking and integrating with the landscape a bit, but I quite like the rounded effect on the cob ones, and the cruck framed gable on the timbered.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Aye, the frames are great! (And the rest of it too)
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Thanks KA. It's getting a bit further with setting cottages in a more rural setting for a possible standard village (I'm not sure we actually have regions starting as villages... but it could be an ambient)

Great to see the progress thread revived!
    Nice work on the strat map vegetation, the varied winter season is a great idea, love the little details like reeds growing next to the river.

New village models look neat too, only thing that triggers my texel density OCD a bit is the tower of the chapel in the back Do you plan on reworking and adding these new dwellings to other settlement tiers aswell?
    Also saw you mention thinner walls and potentially reworking older castles, eventhough thinner walls might be more accurate and potentially look better there's one major advantage that comes with the thicker vanilla walls IMO and thats space for units, take the vanilla large palisade for example, they're thinner and often just fit a single unit, now if the attacker sends one of his units to attack a defended wall section there wont be enough space, the attacking soldiers that do make it onto the wall often cause the entire wall section to "vibrate" (soldiers sliding back and forth really fast) which is not too pleasant to look at. A lot of people on top of that also play on huge unit sizes which doesnt help..

Great to see this mod revived. There was another mod being developed until early 2019 which looked very, very promising and concerned the same timeframe and scope, called Albion Total War: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...bion-Total-War.
    The modder, "Zantorian", made some truly amazing work in terms of UI, traits, ancs and map, but sadly it really seems the mod has been abandoned. Joining forces/assets, perhaps? Just my 2 cents, anyway. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by _TotalWar_ View Post
    Great to see this mod revived. There was another mod being developed until early 2019 which looked very, very promising and concerned the same timeframe and scope, called Albion Total War: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...bion-Total-War.
    The modder, "Zantorian", made some truly amazing work in terms of UI, traits, ancs and map, but sadly it really seems the mod has been abandoned. Joining forces/assets, perhaps? Just my 2 cents, anyway. Cheers!
    Thanks, yes, we're aware of the mod and have been in communication. Unfortunately not sure if the things we have mostly ready (and want to keep) like map and UI might overlap, without useful possibility of merging, with the things he's done and wants to keep... but worth discussing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    New village models look neat too, only thing that triggers my texel density OCD a bit is the tower of the chapel in the back Do you plan on reworking and adding these new dwellings to other settlement tiers aswell?
    There's some vanilla texture stuff still in there, including the chapel, that might be getting changed as I fiddle with it more! And yup to the dwellings on other settlements. I started off working on them as things to go outside a generic castle model, and then thought it'd be simpler to develop from village up, and add bits as it 'upgrades'.

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Also saw you mention thinner walls and potentially reworking older castles, eventhough thinner walls might be more accurate and potentially look better there's one major advantage that comes with the thicker vanilla walls IMO and thats space for units, take the vanilla large palisade for example, they're thinner and often just fit a single unit, now if the attacker sends one of his units to attack a defended wall section there wont be enough space, the attacking soldiers that do make it onto the wall often cause the entire wall section to "vibrate" (soldiers sliding back and forth really fast) which is not too pleasant to look at. A lot of people on top of that also play on huge unit sizes which doesnt help..
    Yeahhh.... may not have mentioned this bit before, but the associated intention is to take the base size of the units in EDU down a lot! There's a huge mismatch with most of the castles that were historically garrisoned by perhaps 50 men, and what happens in game. Unfortunately that does mean field battles would also have less troops, but I think we need to strike a compromise between the two.

We'd probably aim for stats balancing on 'large' size, which won't be that large, but still allow people to opt for 'huge', which would still be <100 men per unit.

That's a good reminder though we do need to look a bit closer at that before getting too far on redesigning.