Thread: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Separate Ways)

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Separate Ways)

Resident Evil 4:
    Wii Edition -
    Separate Ways

As some of you readers may recall I wrote up a review for Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition awhile back in January. In that review I mentioned that within the extra content of the game was a five-part mini series following the character Ada Wong and her part in the game...

After finishing the mini-series this afternoon I came to the conclusion that this seemingly extra bit of nonsensical content was actually review worthy. Separate Ways is a PS2, Wii, and PC exclusive addition and cannot be found on the Gamecube version.

Review:

Graphics:
    Like with the original game, the graphics are not top notch by today's standards but what could you expect from a game released in 2005? However, this isn't to say that Separate Ways is an eyesore - in fact it's fairly good for a sixth-gen title.

No frame rate drops, no graphical glitches, dynamic lighting, use of differing visual styles...it's all great and makes for an enjoyable experience if not a totally realistic one.

Graphics = 8.5/10

Gameplay:
    So what exactly does Separate Ways have to offer in gameplay. Well, for the most part the mini-series plays out like the actual game. The only difference is you're playing as the agent Ada Wong (Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles).

Much like in the main game, you'll find yourself fighting your way through the Las Plagas infected going from the small village to the castle and finally to the main island where the research center and the cult's operation is run from.

The game is played out in five parts, each with a main objective which you must complete. Throughout these parts you'll encounter both new and old enemies and characters found in the main game and you'll even come across good ol' Leon a few times.

Much like in the actual game, you'll be able to save at typewriters and purchase weapons and equipment from merchants around the maps. However, you do not have all of types of weapons Leon had at his disposal, you're essentially left with one weapon of each kind (pistol, shotgun, rifle, TMP, etc) and no ability to upgrade them. Unlike with Leon though, Ada has a crossbow that she can purchase from the merchants that shoots explosive darts (awesome). Ada along has a hookshot on her pistol, but this serves as more of a level progression mechanic rather than freely being used.

The part which impressed me the most in this series is that you can tell the creators put alot of time into it. It's just as challenging and action packed as the main game and nothing is held back. Also, the running time from start to finish for me was a little more than 5 hours of play.

Gameplay = 8.5/10

Audio:
    Overall the voice acting wasn't that bad. The voice of Ada Wong was much better than Leon's, Leon had too many of those un-dramatic, dramatic lines that were sometimes laughable - Ada on the other hand has a fairly good script. Yet again, music is used sparingly and the sound effects are ok.

Audio = 3/5

Replay Value:
    I can't see myself playing Separate Ways again anytime soon but I do feel like it makes me want to play through the main game again sometime in the future - which in turn will make me want to play Separate Ways again afterwards.

Replay Value = 4/5

Story/Plot:
    Separate Ways gives you insight into what exactly Ada Wong was doing in the game every time she randomly showed up to either help or hinder Leon. The series also helps answer many questions and reveals new plot twists that adds to the greater story of Resident Evil 4. For a mini-series there's alot of character development and plot here that just adds to the greater appeal of the total game.

Story/Plot = 10/10

Conclusion:

Separate Ways was in fact review worthy despite it being an extra bit of content in Resident Evil 4. With it's over 5 hour playing time, great plot, and action packed and entertaining gameplay it proves to be not only a great addition to an already awesome game but also an essential for those who play and finish the main story of RE4.

Final Score = 34/40 or 85%

Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Default Re: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Separate Ways)

Nice review.

rep+

HaveFallen's Avatar Centenarius
    In this Island, surrounded by water. Guam!

Default Re: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Separate Ways)

Noice.
    If I can't cheat, how will I get through school???