Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 32 57 ... LastLast

Thread: ROP v3.0 Suggestions Thread

Default Re: ROP v3.0 Suggestions Thread

I like the strong rebell citys - as Athen/Sparta you need more time to unite greece, as in ancient times there were many independent and powerfull city-states beside them!
    So itīs a greater challenge, and beside it maybe avoid them from becoming to easy and ahistoric a global power (particularly when controlled by the AI), as their units seem quite strong.

I would not remove Taras. When iīm playing a greek or balkan faction i want an enemy in Italy to fight against.

btw. removing Taras and replacing it with the city of "Croton" would be a good suggestion.
    It was mightier and more important in that timeframe !
    Last edited by Xerrop; October 09, 2008 at 01:07 PM.

My opinion is same as Knight of Judgment opinion. Also, i think cities of Italy would be conies of Greek cities. What you think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zennek View Post
    My opinion is same as Knight of Judgment opinion. Also, i think cities of Italy would be conies of Greek cities. What you think about this?
    taras is a greek faction... at that time, the south of italy was colonised by the greeks (=taras in this mod), the more northern provinces were independent, or part of the etrucans or other tribes. so whats wrong with this way of displaying that? :-)

Dionisy's Avatar Civis

I guess that greek fractions will look more fine after some small changing - replasing aconistae by thrace mercenary peltastast, added cretan archers and ecdromoi, replaced toxotae by mercenary skiph archers (foot and horse). And why besoi foot units don`t have romphaya?

Quote Originally Posted by Woestelingh View Post
    taras is a greek faction... at that time, the south of italy was colonised by the greeks (=taras in this mod), the more northern provinces were independent, or part of the etrucans or other tribes. so whats wrong with this way of displaying that? :-)
    Yes the major colonization of Italy from ancient Greeks was from Naples (Parthenopy) and southern.But the region was more considered as central Italy thats why Magna Graecia means Great Greece and also Middle Greece (from the Sterea Ellada in Greek peninsula).Also if you take a look only in geography, seems that the colonies (Naples) are the middle of Italian peninsula.
    There is only one Macedonia in the world and it is GREECE
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ
    SUPPORTER OF MY SERBIAN BROTHERS

Concerning a Gandharan faction :

The Gandharans were technically a people around in our timeframe but so were the Arians, Sogdians, Parthians, Chorasamians and Drangianan tribes. The thing is they would almost all follow the pattern of the Bactrian factions troops. Gandhara having a slightly more Indian influence . The main problem is that its almost completely impossible to come up with a unit list for them without simply making it up. Creating Bactria was hard enough. Then we have to add to that the fact that we know nothing about Gandharan society or government. Finally the Gandharans had no reputation for power, expansionism or even being mentioned outside when they were conquered.

Its not a feasible idea. Especially when we have more important factions to finish like both the scythians. Lastly the problem of India's expansionism will probably be adequately met by Bactria alone. Bactria has quite a powerful army list.

Oh I almost forgot to mention. Its important that we don't put too many factions in the Bactrian area because that part of the world is supposed to be a mish mash of small tribes and societies not a battleground for major factions. Its supposed to be a long campaign through scattered and hard territory and many different armies to conquer.

Well, I think that you should give the persians a full army to start with, and a few other things.
    I like the idea of a Persian army under Kurus at the start but it wouldn't be right to give them anything above the basic units. the Persians were a very minor tribe at this point. The only reason they got a chance at power is because the neighboring Elamites were devastated by the Assyrians.

* The Arizanti spearmen still hold the spears backwards, and the strukhat cavalry hold their swords as if they were holding spears.
    I think these issues were fixed in the patch. If not they will be in the upcoming version. Thanks for pointing that it if we haven't done it.

The Medes had an organized army, and they had their own names.
    And this has been very carefully taken into consideration.

Firstly I have to ask exactly where you've got your transliterations of Ancient Median from. It being a somewhat mysterious language given the very minor amount of it we have.

Secondly I'll explain the idea behind the Median language system. I separated the army into the various clans from which they came from because Media was not a unified state but something of a federation. As such each independent group would have their own set of soldiers to contribute. So thats where the clan names come from. The reason we used English words like 'cavalry' instead of ancient words like 'asabari' was because saying "strukhatian asabari" was a very odd anglised version of the word and saying "Strukhat Asabari" made no grammatical sense. By compromise we used an entirely anglicized version to maintain consistency.

So you if you could change the name of the strukhatian spearmen to "Rsika Strukhat'i" "Rsika Arizanti'i" "Aspabari Budii'i" "Pasti Buza'i"
    The names won't be changed. Sparabara was a more recognizable name for Iranian infantry and its just as historical if not more so since we are using the accepted term for spearbearer - Arstibara..

(The "i" after the clans names derives from how the kurds* say something that is owned to someone)
    I would be very suspicious of any author that would so certainly link modern Kurdish with ancient Median.

The Budian archers should be stronger than the strukhat, but they are weaker (In missile, defence and attack) and plus that they cost more to upkeep.
    As far as i remember advising the Budian archers are more proficient in close combat than the Strukhat archers. If not that needs to be adressed.

* The Arizantian Cavalry are too weak, remember that it was they who conquered the city of Ashur.
    They're almost the best cavalry in the game. Plenty of soldiers accomplished great things and Cavalrymen don't storm cities. The Arizantians certainly didn't do anything alone either.

* The Buzi infantry are much to weak. They are both more expensive and weaker than the strukhat (They should have more in attack, not defence)
    The Buzi are meant to be weak since they come from a very downtrodden people but they should be cheaper. Thanks for that as well.

were did you find information on buddians and strukhatians anyway? ive been looking around on the internet but can't find any...

All factions playable from the start would be good.
    Another suggestion: the campaign map for this mod is the most gorgeous map I've seen for a Rome based game (including vanilla!). FULL MARKS TO THE MAPPERS!!!!! PLEASE don't be in a hurry to expand the map unless you can provide the same level of detail!
    BTW, I modified descr_strat.txt to play Saba, and have had no CTD's...

the only reason why not all factions are playable (yet) is, AFAIK that they are not completed, and still (partially) a copy of one of the other factions. Once they got a full own unit and building tree they ll be open to play.

That's correct. We could implement an optional all factions playable mod in the next version, so the player can select him/herself to enable the factions that don't have their own unit lists etc yet. I'd say we should brainstorm for optional add-ons that are equally simple to make as an all factions playable mod, so keep them suggestions coming
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Donīt know if this is possible, but it would be good to have less siege battles in the game - itīs annoying to siege each little and unimportant town.

Not every single province of a country was conquered with a siege.

When a settlement is only a small town or has only wooden palisades, there should be no siege - you can conquer this town/province with only a field battle.

That would also mean, when you start a battle on the exact place of the town, you should not see a town on the battlefield - only maybe few isolated houses spreaded over the landscape.

This would be a great addition to the game, but I'm afraid it's not possible with the RTW engine. We will strive to make the next version much less of a siege:total war though

Lead developer of:

Quote Originally Posted by Nero666 View Post
    This would be a great addition to the game, but I'm afraid it's not possible with the RTW engine. We will strive to make the next version much less of a siege:total war though
    maybe by only making walls/pallisades available from only 2000 or 6000 inhabitans villages?

only, AI will not handle this and leave all their settlements nearly undefended... i guess

Well they would not leave it totally undefended I think - and we could script around that issue - but in essence it would of course still be a siege with the buildings and the town square in the battle.

Lead developer of:

When there are no walls available for small towns - that would help:

You still have to assault the town, but you donīt need siege equipment.

And without the walls you would (maybe) not only have street battles - perhaps the defenders will risk a battle outside, as there are no walls that block them or give them safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Nero666 View Post
    We will strive to make the next version much less of a siege:total war though
    How can you make less sieges(-feeling) ?
    Last edited by Xerrop; October 21, 2008 at 11:43 AM.

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    When there are no walls available for small towns - that would help:

You still have to assault the town, but you donīt need siege equipment.

And without the walls you would (maybe) not only have street battles - perhaps the defenders will risk a battle outside, as there are no walls that block them or give them safety?

How can you make less sieges(-feeling) ?

methinks he aims a more aggresive AI
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Indefinitely Banned

how anout pinarius horse model change all the vanilla horse
    change everything that is vanilla i hate vanilla

@Xerrop: You'll see Will preview soon hopefully.
    @Prince Nuada: Actually we're already using pinarius' horse models.

Lead developer of:

Maybe a new faction, like Etruscans ?
    And maybe using Force diplomacy mod...
    Ceterum censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam!

Indefinitely Banned

@Nero666 ooops i see
    another suggestion how about making the AI more aggresive and Hard so that it would be more challenging, im currently playing Taras and enjoying this mod, i like it since its a different map like the half that vanilla did not show Great work ROP team

btw the greek general is damaged like the plume it only appears on the side like there is a space in the middle
    Last edited by Prince Nuada; October 24, 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 32 57 ... LastLast