Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 ... LastLast

Thread: ROP v3.0 Suggestions Thread

Default Re: ROP v3.0 Suggestions Thread

uhu, the limited choice of hoplites gets a bit boring after a while, maybe some other mods like ExRM, Hegemonia or XGM want to share some units?

another thing, would it be possible to introduce formations that make the AI hold the line better (so their phalanxes dont just walk around randomly to be slaughtered)? i heard that there are some custom formations (darth's? sinuhet's? can't remember) that make the AI better in this aspect

XGM hoplites are from a different era, they wouldn't fit in RoP I think.

As for formation... Yeah, Darth's works well. I played his mod before and the AI was much more united/stronger.

Also, may I suggest adding command stars to certain 'elite' units so the AI rallies around them. I've seen something to that effect in RS where certain command stacks would lead the weaker units to different army weak points at the same time. It's a nice experience to battle an AI like that.

how about making some new faction symbols and graphics

Proud Israeli and supporter of the state of ISRAEL
    WATCH THIS AND THIS AND THIS and after that, tell me who's wrong.

Mars Magnus's Avatar Ordinarius

Make the cost for elephants higher!
    800 or 2000!
    The Indians even have 20 units of them and 6 full armies!
    SILVIO GESELL & GUSTAV RUHLAND: GREATEST ECONOMISTS!
    STOP EXPLOITING=CAPITALISM= INTEREST SLAVERY!
    In every porduct you buy you pay about 40% interest in the price.
    Debt creates money. Money is created by dept.

Personified Boredom's Avatar Tiro

I just thought of this now, but could you at the least make all the factions playable in the custom battles?

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Personified Boredom View Post
    I just thought of this now, but could you at the least make all the factions playable in the custom battles?
    because the rosters aren't done IIRC. it would just bethe sme for multiple factions..
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Lanjane's Avatar Tiro

Hello, wise strategists!
    What about making background script in ROP launching automatically as it was described by HouseOfHam in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169689?
    For my ROP installation I've just made these changes. If somebody is interested, here is the link for my own mini-script addon:

P.S. Archive contains backup copies of all files I've modified. But changes by the way are not so serious.
    Last edited by Lanjane; August 08, 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: additional information

Hej that's a good one Lanjane! Woestelingh also recommended this a few posts back. Will check it out as soon as I've got some time available for modding, cuz my first try made me unable to save my games (like in prologue).

Unique buildings and more wonders are probably going to make it into the next big build, keep suggestions coming on this one
    The idea to use the command thingy for elite units, making other units gather around them, sounds very good - we'll give it some test runs and probably it'll make it into the build
    Balancing issues are always good to report, thanks for your replies!
    We're not sure if we should do 0-turn recruitment or not for the lower value units, it might tear down the balance. Maybe someone can test and see?
    Otherwise we will probably not make any changes to the faction list for our next build, we are working on getting a new faction playable (which means completed) though
    There are also many unmentioned things going on behind the scenes in secrecy, we strive to bring you a preview sooner or later about what's gonna happen

For different and/or better graphics we need some more manpower, let us know if you're available to do some work on this side (both 2d and 3d textures).
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Lanjane's Avatar Tiro

Nero666
    It's not so difficult to modify original script for autolaunch) You will see.
    Last edited by Lanjane; August 13, 2008 at 09:26 AM.

Great mod guys,but there is space for some improvementMy opinion is:
    A)A rebalance of the AI factions specially the Greek factions(When you play Athens you easily destroy Sparta and the opposite,Ionia is the terror of Asia Minor,Cyrene is the Kemet killer,Macedonia is very weak)
    B)Add some settlements (in "Magna Grecia" for example you can Add Croton)
    C)Decrease the income amounts for the player and AI
    D)Give the Greek factions the ability training Aor units in foreign land(ok i know the Macedonians already have it),but with the restriction of regional auxillaries as native units.
    E)Take example of EB and give a limit in the amount of armies both AI and player,through Upkeep and cost of units.WIth less army the game becomes more interesting and the batlles are almost 100% decisive,also stop the Ai ability to take walk small armies inside players territories like suicide groups.

Generally the mod is one of the best ever,because of the era and the concept(Democratic,Oligarchy,Monarchy),nice units and 100% accurate depending in the specific era,but some details are not allowing to be the Best (ok this is my opinion),i know it is very complicated to create a mod but please at least follow my 5th suggestion
    Thanks for the great mod team,you are one of the reasons that i still play RTW
    There is only one Macedonia in the world and it is GREECE
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ
    SUPPORTER OF MY SERBIAN BROTHERS

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

More (and all) playable factions, if possible. The northernmost Italian settlement could be given to the Samnites, for example. I don't think they were all that involved in Greek matters in that period, but the great thing about RTW is that we can change history.

And I think the eastern factions (primarily the "Persian" factions) could use an increase in troop types, too.

Edit: Oh, and I agree that an AoR system would be a good addition.

I agree with Spartan for the Samnites and i wish to add to my suggestions the
    F)Bigger map including Italy
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ

Quote Originally Posted by COMIS -3- ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ View Post
    I agree with Spartan for the Samnites and i wish to add to my suggestions the
    F)Bigger map including Italy
    The rest of Italy would be nice and would also open up room for the Etruscans and Romans* (*yep, I totally went there...).

Also, one little text change: The hoplites are listed as using the xyston, which is wrong. They actually used the shorter doru.

If a bigger map of Italy is available,maybe you can add more settlements and another Greek city state if is possible, maybe Croton (Κρότων 725or715 bc-277bc) - for example.Croton was a strong city state(especially in 7th-6th bc together with the Sybaris -Σύβαρις- city state, considered as the superpowers of Magna Graecia).
    Population of Sybaris-Croton-Taras in Magna Graecia in 6th century bc
    1)Sybaris (100.000)
    2)Croton (95.000)
    3)Taras (10.000).
    Taras managed to achieve 100.000 population only in 5th-4th century bc
    Ok i know Croton is not powerful in 5th-4th century bc as Taras and at the time 559 bc of the mod coverage era was not the superpower of the past,but he still remained a great city state that time(at least add him as settlement).
    Sorry for my English if sometimes my sentences are not making any sense
    Last edited by COMIS -3- ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ; August 28, 2008 at 02:29 AM.
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ

Perhaps enabling the phalanx formation?
    perhaps it will look like this...?

Two suggestions, if possible...

1. More diverse mercenary pool in Mesopotamia and along the Levatine coast. From what I understand, Greek and Libyan mercenaries were big players in warfare of this era (from what I've read, it sounds like everyone was using them to some degree...not just Kemet).

2. Modify the textures on the gatehouses at Babylon to reflect the ornate gates of Babylon. I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, this would be VERY COOL! Babylon just doesn't seem like Babylon without those distinctive gates.

(If someone knows how I can access those textures, I can probably do the job for you. I have a graphic design degree and I know my way around Photoshop very well. I just don't know how textures are assigned in RTW.)

3. On the subject of textures, I think muting and darkening the texture colors slightly on the Persians warriors and some of the other factions. When they show up on the battlefield, the color of their blue, orange, and yellow clothes is too bright and saturated. It looks unrealistic.

(If someone tells me how to access the textures, I can probably experiemtn with this for you.)

4. Eliminate pirates altogether. They are a huge PITA. I'm playing 2.2 as Babylon right now and the Pirates have massive navies that are kicking everyone's but. The pirate navies are far more powerful than the navies of the superpower nations.
    Last edited by Agrippa Postumas; August 31, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius Vatco View Post
    Perhaps enabling the phalanx formation?
    perhaps it will look like this...?

It already looks like that in the current version. Personally, I'd rather see a "simulated" phalanx system more like EB has.

BTW, what mod is that? I like those units.

Civis

Firstly I have been following this mod since it's humble beginnings up unto the point it's at now. To everyone that has posted here let's keep in mind that this isn't EB, RTR, RS or anything like that. It is about the humble beginnings of Persia and it's rise to power, it's not about Rome! The Phalanx as it is known in the Roman era mods, to my knowledge was engineered by Phillip of Macedon and perfected by his son Alexander the Great. So what is the need of a 4th century BC Phalanx formation needed in a 6th century BC mod about Persia? Plain and simple that wasn't the style of warfare used in the time frame that this mod is set in. Yes there was Greek Hoplite Phalanx, but it was totally different and no where near as effective as the Macedonian Phalanx used some 200-300 years later. Now that's off my chest, here are a few suggestions for the team.

I have to aggree and say that more unit stat balancing needs to be done. There are instances where some units are more expensive in cost and upkeep, but they have the same attack/defense stats as the cheaper units. The Indian Faction is great, although I never payed much attention to it, someone posted earlier that the elephant units only cost like 600 denarii. AFAIK. Elephants were only used by the nobility in battle because they were expensive and nobility were the only ones that could afford them. So they should easily be 2000 denarii if not more. Another Hellenic faction would be good. I'd have to tip my head to Syracuse, or maybe even Rhodes. Syracuse was founded in around 750-800 BC and quickly grew into a large power on the Sicilian island. It later became one of the strongest powers in all of Magna Grecia and inevitabally was one of the spill over points for the first Punic War. Rhodes was also important. Their navy was feared and helped keep Pirate activity down in the local area, plus they were a large trading port were generally all merchant ships made they're last stop before heading east or west. Rhodes was also considered significant by alot of the surrounding kingdoms. I can't recall the exact date, but an earth qauke almost destroyed the entire city. It was deemed that important by it's neighbours that they infact donated large portions of they're treasuries to help rebuild the city.
    Land bridges would be good in places like Sicily and mainland Italy, IMHO that's probabally about the only place you would want to put one. In regards to the current Hellenic factions Sparta/Athens. Yes I have to say that the Spartan army should be a little bit stronger then that of Athens, but Athens should have a stronger navy. In regards to the Peleponesis War, which this mod doesn't really cover. Athens could never match Sparta's army on the land, and Sparta could never match Athens navy at sea. Hence why those changes should be implemented. Also I think Lydia and Babylon are possibally a little to over powered, but I haven't done enough research on these factions to argue against it. Pirate levels are also good I think. If you want to do crazy things like try to invade Egypt as Sparta, then you are forced to invest in a large powerful navy or run the risk of losing a full stack of Spartans on the voyage over. This I beleive is the way it should be. Also rebels aren't really that troublesome. The armies of most of these ancient kingdoms spent half they're time at war and the other half of they're time hunting down brigands and rebels, so makes sense really. Economy and upkeep I do beleive need some attention. At the moment I feel that it is a bit of a vanilla RTW scenario. When you have a stable economy you spam a heap of units and Blitzkreig half the map.

Apart from all that. Great mod, continues to get better with every release and update, keep up the great work. SE.

Not every mention of the word phalanx is referring to the Macedonian syntagma.

Hi.

Is the shieldwall implemented in this mod? It makes hoplite formations look so awesome.

Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 ... LastLast