Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit Modelling - report model issues here

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Default Unit Modelling - report model issues here

Hi folks.

Now that I'm set up with the technology and also acquire the knowledge to work on unit models and directly implement them into the game, I've started with fixing minor flaws, like the barded horse clipping issue.

Since it's easy to overlook this stuff I'd like to ask you the following:

If you have spotted any such flaws, report them here so that we can adress them. Please don't report design issues (those are adressed with tweaks and new models), only model/animation-related stuff like clipping, awkward stretching, etc.

I will also look to the existing models that make it into DoM and improve where needed. So much for a little update. Be patient - new unit models will be previewed, soon.

I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Default Re: Unit Modelling - report model issues here

I've started with fixing minor flaws, like the barded horse clipping issue.
    Yay!
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Nice to hear that some units will be redone . +Rep

By the way I didn't really noticed model problems in TNS. Some textures seems to be old, but that's all.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

current models is fine btw, maybe the Dunlendings could use some retouchments in textures, but they make sense to have the worst and not too good cloth textures (wild men do not wash clothes) - but then, their tribal pikes use chain-mail? while professional pikes use leather? *i know they use scottish pikemen model, maybe their textures need to be tweaked*

perhaps I just want to suggest giving Rangers of Ithilien 2 handed sword animation?

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

maybe the Dunlendings could use some retouchments in textures, but they make sense to have the worst and not too good cloth textures (wild men do not wash clothes) - but then, their tribal pikes use chain-mail? while professional pikes use leather? *i know they use scottish pikemen model, maybe their textures need to be tweaked*
    You'd be pleased to know that the Dunlendings have already been re-textured (take a look at the Official Screenshot Thread in the stickies forum - I've posted screenies of a battle between Rohirrim and Dunlendings there).

perhaps I just want to suggest giving Rangers of Ithilien 2 handed sword animation?
    This could be changed easily by coding in the dmb (which animation skeleton is used). However, I can't picture the Rangers wielding clumsy two-handed weapons.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

I think I haven't noticed any clipping issues in FATW.

Rangers with 2h swords? Can't imagine this, too, I'd say rangers are dual-wielding (sword and parrying dagger). Also there are no 2h swords used in FATW at all, so I don't see a reason to introduce them. Regarding the way FATW interprets the lore, I even can't imagine 2h swords to be used at all. Weapons of this sort only came into use in the 15th century when also plate armour was developed. Tolkien's Middle-earth is set in an earlier time technology wise, so 2h swords do not exist.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    You'd be pleased to know that the Dunlendings have already been re-textured (take a look at the Official Screenshot Thread in the stickies forum - I've posted screenies of a battle between Rohirrim and Dunlendings there).

This could be changed easily by coding in the dmb (which animation skeleton is used). However, I can't picture the Rangers wielding clumsy two-handed weapons.
    nice

and sorry, I mixed it up with LOTR-TW rangers

It's not really an issue but I felt that most of the cavalry lances look a bit hilarious. I do not remember if it's ever mentioned how the lances were used (overarm, underarm, couched) but I think Tolkien had an underarm use in mind. Not sure about the couching though. Anyway, as it is now the spears are just loosely held to the side.
    I can live with that (I don't like the stupid look of Medieval's rider animation) but the spear is that incredibly short! It doesn't even pass by the horse's head, and thus it's pretty useless or at least, leaves the horse quite vulnerable. So I think it'd be nice if the length of the spear could be extended. I like METWs horsemen far better regarding this point.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

regarding this point.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

xD

Well, compared to FATW, METW is old.

I'm sure Eorl is allready do lance enlargements in 3DSmax only click that thing, weld and drag the points longer

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

I'm sure Eorl is allready do lance enlargements in 3DSmax only click that thing, weld and drag the points longer
    Yep, that's so easy I can do this in my sleep. So longer rider lances? Sounds fine with me! Keep'em suggestions coming.
    -unknown YouTube user

On Rohirrim Scouts, there seems to be a texture issue on the axe in melee combat. The transparency is a bit too small, so the black border shows when the axe is drawn.
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ajidica View Post
    On Rohirrim Scouts, there seems to be a texture issue on the axe in melee combat. The transparency is a bit too small, so the black border shows when the axe is drawn.
    actually I want to suggest giving them real 3D axes, rather than alpha layer on flat square

you can use vanilla BI Fransisca Herbann secondary weapon axe as the weapon model, it just need some re-adjusting the shapes

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

actually I want to suggest giving them real 3D axes, rather than alpha layer on flat square
    That's actually a good idea - I've prepared some seperate elements for 3d weapons complete with uv-maps for quick use.
    -unknown YouTube user

I remember that many swords of RK soldiers look somewhat weird at the point. I think the texture is somewhat 'untidy'. IIRC that's an issue for MaA, DAMaA, KoDAs and maybe GotC.

EDIT: The KoDAs definitively. I just checked the texture file. GotC were false alarm I think.
    Last edited by Thangaror; February 13, 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    I think I haven't noticed any clipping issues in FATW.

Rangers with 2h swords? Can't imagine this, too, I'd say rangers are dual-wielding (sword and parrying dagger). Also there are no 2h swords used in FATW at all, so I don't see a reason to introduce them. Regarding the way FATW interprets the lore, I even can't imagine 2h swords to be used at all. Weapons of this sort only came into use in the 15th century when also plate armour was developed. Tolkien's Middle-earth is set in an earlier time technology wise, so 2h swords do not exist.
    Forgetting the Uruk Berserkers are we?

I have been meaning to post this for about 6 months now, but I am very lazy, and because I am very lazy I am not going to go to the trouble to look up the name of the unit in question. It is the ones that look like Zulu warriors that you can hire in the south western/central provinces. When you circle your view around them their shields disappear at curtain angles; from behind iirc; and they are left with just their crossed throwing spears.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Good pointer, Wambat, noted, and will be fixed.
    -unknown YouTube user

Just a small issue I wanted to mention since years: It'd be reasonable to give the Dol Amroth units the same shades of blue for their clothing. Especially the horse barding's colour and the knight's coat really should match the tunics.

Also, I think I noticed an issue with the alpha layer on Rhûn's wains. It's weird, but the problem occurs only sometimes. Screens attached. Notice that on the first screens there are no issues on the wain in the back on which the cursor points, but the second screen shows this wain having that issue.

Furthermore, the Lamedon Hillmen mercs have a 3D texture for their weapon, which looks really odd in game (the guy on the right).
    Last edited by Thangaror; April 08, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast