Thread: reinforced gates weakness.

THARN's Avatar Senator

Default reinforced gates weakness.

Hello.
    What file would have the gates ability to withstand a battering ram?
    I did feel that the vanilla version the gates were a bit too tough, but it seems the opposite now. not sure if its from the mod or the expansion.
    I believe that steel reinforced gates would last at least a few more hits than whats actually happening/// and even wooden gates shouldn't splinter so easily.

Am I way off on my view here?

Default Re: reinforced gates weakness.

Vanilla gates were to strong? you have got to be kidding me.

Still if you want to change gates to be crappy again edit the data\descr_walls.txt.

best
    Dave

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

In this mod the issue is not the gates so much as it is the towers (and archers) not firing flaming projectiles which makes rams effectively unstoppable IMO...

Not that I object to this because it seems to make the AI much more effective in assaults and not so prone to standing around getting shot up...

In this mod the issue is not the gates so much as it is the towers (and archers) not firing flaming projectiles which makes rams effectively unstoppable IMO...

Not that I object to this because it seems to make the AI much more effective in assaults and not so prone to standing around getting shot up...
    Ballista towers should still be firing flaming ballista, I did not remove them. Also this was one of the reasons I removed secondary fire for all archers. The AI performs much better now in siege attacks and has a better fire rate in field battles. And dont forget, boiling oil can be very effective if you hold the gates for long enough.

Dave

Yes, after all, it's better to let the ram open the gate and after to let boiling oil doing its work. Because good armored units can easyly take the walls from a siege tower, but they come trough the gates they can lost a lot of soldiers.

THARN's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post
    Vanilla gates were to strong? you have got to be kidding me.

Still if you want to change gates to be crappy again edit the data\descr_walls.txt.

best
    Dave
    I think you misunderstand me. Vanilla- as in the first version of mtw2.
    I haven't played any of the scenarios in the expansion- just this mod.
    as it stand s with this mod right now- I think the gates are too weak.

I have been counting the number of times it takes to knock down the strongest of reinforced gates and I feel that it should take a bit longer.
    In past versions (not this mod)I recall that on the best defended cities, there was a possibility to actually destroy battering rams/very rare but still possible. Now it cant be done, further reducing the need for catapult/trebs/canons.

thanks for the point in the right direction for the file.

My apologies Tharn, but be careful not to increase gate strength by to much.

In my tests I found that rams can get destroyed from to much boiling oil.

best
    Dave

THARN's Avatar Senator

I only upped the gates a bit/ more for the fact that it seemed before the defenders didnt have much time to decide to break from the walls and find better defence in the center of town. in fact there seemed to be no time at all-
    ive only upped the numbers slightly and I Like what I see-(for my tastes)

heres my numbers from weakest(smallest) to strongest.

just a slight upgrade- I was recently attacked by France in a large town with the gate at 375- it took 7% per hit with the ram- at that pace when the gate reached above 65% I had time to retreat from the walls..
    before those gates went at 20% a crack- no time to run off the walls at all.
    I was still over run..lol ..Damn Frenchies... but i didnt have all my wall defenders trapped as before..
    Salute~
    Last edited by THARN; May 10, 2008 at 01:05 AM.