Thread: Archer skirmishes

Senator

Default Archer skirmishes

If I'm using non-armored archers like cretans and I'm attacking rome's archer auxilia units in a skirmish, does it make sense to use flaming arrows against them?

I've read that flaming arrows are less accurate, and take longer to reload, but do more damage to units with armor. It seems pretty far fetched that the damage bonus to armor would outweigh the accuracy and reload-time loss, but just thought I'd check.

BTW, Posted this in MP forum since you only have archer skirmishes against a human opponent, AI is too dumb.

Default Re: Archer skmirshes

u should never use fire with archers that are firing at other archers, as this deceases ur chance of winning the archer battle (the accuracy decrease is just to much a cost)

The only bonus that fire adds is a moral penalty to the unit that is under fire from archers with flaming ammo.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Yes, like atraps said, don't use archers with fire against other archers. However, they are good with decreasing the morale of units.

When you have depleted them you can use fire, concentrated fire barrage on one unit at a time will rout them. When they are at a quarter of their strenght they are likely to keep running. You should only do this with normal archers though, since it never works as well against the better archers.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Senator

Yeah I didn't think so. I know about the morale damage it does but I was wondering whether the increased damage to armor could be worth it. Or does it even increase damage to armor?

no, flamming arrows dont do more damage to armour then regular arrows

Decanus

Try your theory and i you may find you lose WAY more archer battles than you will ever win...

I think it is pretty much a waste, don't you think? Archers are meant to kill infrantry, at least for me

In my battles, I always use them to kill the enemy archers. Since those can rip through my own.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Archers are the most effective when firing at an enemy unit from behind or flanks.

Civis

ye, no fire against foot soldiers of any sort.
    Always fire against horse, ele, and especially chariots (unless they are in cant circle, in which case you may as well not shoot at all).

Decanus

Why use fire vs Chariots other than scytihes? shooting with fire is slower than without fire and Chariots only have hp with no armour 1 hit = 1 hp. So don't use fire...

Civis

Hey tubbz, will have try that out. Ive always just assumed that fire arrows work better than non fire arrows on chariots (sycthed it obviously does) just like other Cav units.

Decanus

Default Re: Archer skirmishes

Nah, look at how the chariots life works and its different!!! peasants can hurt chariots but they can't hurt cav :p