Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * Real City Names * Mother Tongue

VirusITA's Avatar Tiro

Icon2 * Real City Names * Mother Tongue

Hi guys, here you are a total translation of city names into their mother tongue version Regions are translated too

Just take a look at these pics

Download it! -> http://files.filefront.com/Real+City.../fileinfo.html

Installation

Just unzip the folder and put it into your Medieval 2 TW main folder! (Usually is C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)

Working with SS6.1 and other mods
    Last edited by VirusITA; May 06, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Default Re: * Real City Names * Mother Tongue

Do the names change when you conquer them to the new mother tongue? I ask as have already done some of above, but wanted to do this as well, so would save a great deal of time.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Nice work, though Århus (in Denmark) should be Arus.

nemr's Avatar Miles

you can change city name whenever conquering it

also

Jerusalem in arabic is (( al-quds)) and acre ((akka))

VirusITA's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Do the names change when you conquer them to the new mother tongue? I ask as have already done some of above, but wanted to do this as well, so would save a great deal of time.
    Well, not now: if you know the way to change them dynamically (i think about Kingdoms new features) i can help you..
    For the moment they are only the translation of the names in their mother tongue in year 1080

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Well, to change them to the new mother tongue, seeing that we have 29 factions which some don't even exist in modern times, we need about (jerusalem and TK use French, teutonic use German, novgorod's is same as kievan, aragon's is same as leon) 199*24=4776 city names, and if the code for changing the conquered city into a new tongue is 5 lines long, we need to add 23880 lines to game script.

Quote Originally Posted by nemr View Post
    you can change city name whenever conquering it

also

Jerusalem in arabic is (( al-quds)) and acre ((akka))
    Yerushalayim is Hebrew for Jerusalem, which I think is more fitting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    Well, to change them to the new mother tongue, seeing that we have 29 factions which some don't even exist in modern times, we need about (jerusalem and TK use French, teutonic use German, novgorod's is same as kievan, aragon's is same as leon) 199*24=4776 city names, and if the code for changing the conquered city into a new tongue is 5 lines long, we need to add 23880 lines to game script.
    If it is actually doable (and hopefully doesn't lag the game with the script), I think it is sensible to code them for important cities that often changed hand, and only in the language of the factions that historically controlled them at one point. A prime example would be Jerusalem, which can be Yerushalayim when rebel, al-Quds when in hands of Fatimids/Seljukes, and Hierusalem when controlled by any Latin factions.

works with 6.0? still finishing genoese campaign

gracul
    Well was not thinking of changing all locations as for instance Paris is still Paris in English, French and presumably alot of other languages. However places like Murcia I have at present as Ta'waif al-Murcia until taken over by christians (I know its a bit of a cop out and should be Medinat Mursiya or Ta'waif al-Mursiya, but most people do not know about that stuff, so trying to keep things relatively straightforward). So was thinking that other key locations should be the same.

btw should not Dyrrhachiom be Dyrrhachium.
    Last edited by Quark; May 07, 2008 at 08:06 AM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

would it simplify things a little if we just used the religion as an indicator of what name to call places?

standardise on an islamic name, a catholic name, orthodox, pagan?

then name is that for the dominant religion (more than 50%.)
    could be a useful indicator for players?

would also be a way of resolving arguments over what the "mother tongue" was at any time. (many major cities had multiple "mother tongues" - Saragosa had muslim, catholic and jewish quarters - which would you say was the "mother tongue"?)

VirusITA's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    would it simplify things a little if we just used the religion as an indicator of what name to call places?

standardise on an islamic name, a catholic name, orthodox, pagan?

then name is that for the dominant religion (more than 50%.)
    could be a useful indicator for players?

would also be a way of resolving arguments over what the "mother tongue" was at any time. (many major cities had multiple "mother tongues" - Saragosa had muslim, catholic and jewish quarters - which would you say was the "mother tongue"?)
    My goal was to remove all the english names from the game, i dislike to see "Venice" for "Venezia" and most of all i think these names add i flavor of history and a more immersive atmosphere I love the northern and greek alphabets, jewish words, islamic transliteration..

I obviously used a compromise: for example jewish for Jerusalem, greek for Antioch (lost few year before the start of the game by Byz), arab for all the middle east, their mother tongue in those years. Knowing that they will become conquered soon: a simple script could be written for changing dinamically a few names (Jerusalem is the first ) when conquered by different factions (i know, religion is more realistic but if i'm the Templar Order i DON'T wanna see islamic names for my towns and viceversa ).

Barser's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by hekk View Post
    Nice work, though Århus (in Denmark) should be Arus.
    If you want to use the middle age name for it then yes. But I like it more as Århus which is the modern danish name for the city.
    I actually dont't know why they canged the name from aarhus to århus as i live in the danish city of aalborg wich still use aa. It just confuses people.

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barser View Post
    If you want to use the middle age name for it then yes. But I like it more as Århus which is the modern danish name for the city.
    I actually dont't know why they canged the name from aarhus to århus as i live in the danish city of aalborg wich still use aa. It just confuses people.
    This is the Medieval ages, not our modern times, and imo the name Århus ruins the atmosphere.

VirusITA's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by hekk View Post
    This is the Medieval ages, not our modern times, and imo the name Århus ruins the atmosphere.
    Well, so Arhus is better.. Anyway the problem is that nobody cares about this mod

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm not sure if the region Dalmatia was changed from Ragusa to Dubrovnik(that would be historically correct). Ragusa, now, is a town in Italy.

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by VirusITA View Post
    Well, so Arhus is better.. Anyway the problem is that nobody cares about this mod
    not true! i do! great submod but i think its ok as it is no name-changes needed

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

I've been looking at the wikipedia on "Republic of Ragusa".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Republic_of_Ragusa

check also the discussion page.

shows problems with the concept of "mother tongue" - but also we need to be aware of linguistic imperialism.

It might be better to call it Dubrovnik if only to avoid any confusion with the Italian city also called Ragusa.

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

Yeah, the whole thing about Ragusa/Dubrovnik is really awkward...

After reading through some lines of the article, I guess they actually did call the city Ragusa, what I'm confused about is I've never heard of that before! Anyways, let it stay as is.

VirusITA's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarLord View Post
    I'm not sure if the region Dalmatia was changed from Ragusa to Dubrovnik(that would be historically correct). Ragusa, now, is a town in Italy.
    No way, this town has been called Ragusa since 1909, it was prevalently populated by latin-people (italians) since the earthquake in 1667, when the largest part of Ragusa was destroyed: the immigration from the countryside changed this balance. During medieval it was one of the most important italian city (challenging with Venezia for the eastern trade).

Dubrovnik, you must know, was the "slavic" suburb: this name was extended to the entire city when it changed its name (1909): as you can see the historic city is build up (as Istria and some Aegean cities like Rodi) with Venetian style. That's because in medieval age (or earlier, like Ragusa) they have been founded by Venetians (or romans, in this case -Ragusium-).
    Last edited by VirusITA; May 14, 2008 at 10:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast