Thread: Could sombody tell me what this is about?

Thompson45cal.'s Avatar Ordinarius
    The Great State of Texas and George W. Bush ain't no Texan.......

Default Could sombody tell me what this is about?

This is a post from the Total War Forum, where I recently posted my new scenario info, like I have in several forums for sometime now. My posting is improving, but to the point.

I can't download the SS mod at the moment, my PC is stuffed and I need a new setup anyway. So, I can't tell if what the man is saying is true or that things are just simular.. help me out here please.

Heres the LINK to the thread containing the above post.

I don't mind sharing my stuff... Had some trouble prior with a guy and this could be related to that..... I just don't know.....
    Did they put some of my maps in the SS mod?? I don't know, I can't see.

Default Re: Could sombody tell me what this is about?

Thompson45cal.
    Simple to answer NO, Tommyknocker created a global campaign map for SS using gps map data and his graphics skills to give it new textures etc, while the link above shows that you have created some nice custom maps for battles. The poster is obviously confused. As to the textures, well its had to say from post, would have to see the files, but Tommyknocker created his own, so it could be yours are similar, as nice grass, is nice grass.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Hello tommygun, your map is indeed in the mod (it's in mine and I didn't add your map and no other mods installed) but rest assured it's clearly credited to you.
    The map is called "horton" under historical battles section. It's about a fictitious Danish invasion in England. Kick ass map by the way. Well done, thoroughly enjoyed that map.

Well I'm even more confused by you answer melancholic. I get the impression that yes a map of mine , possibly the "horton" map has been used in the SS mod? And you've used it in a mod you've made? Well it's all cool, just my experience here at the TWcenter has been strained by (a clown) jacking my stuff and calling it his, wasn't sure if this was related to that or not. I don't mind sharing my stuff thats why I work so hard to get it out to the public. But.......from day one of my creativity, I've been plagued with not knowing if anybody's enjoying my works or not.......out of all the things I've posted for players, well feedback is very lacking. 1st it was my mappaks, people had been downloading them and I didn't even know it....was shocked to find (clownboy << thats not his name no offense intended for anybody named clownboy.) claiming he'd posted all the stuff. I got that sorted out and worked hard to get my stuff properly posted. Well I got these maps out and ...... no response , no feed back..... was starting to think nobody wanted or needed the new maps...matter of fact was considering the next work to be my last due to lack of interest. I just like to know if what I'm doing is worthwhile. I do this for my friends, who have little or no interest. So all in all I'm somewhat discouraged by the whole experience.

Was just curious and had I been under less stress on the home front, I might not be sooo dumb as to post this inquiry and just inquire of those involved in the mod.....but my brain hurts, I'm out of kilter. I'll ask KING KONG he'll know me thinks.

By the way what mod ya making or have you made, melancholic. Got a name for it? I'm interested.
    Last edited by Thompson45cal.; May 06, 2008 at 02:56 PM.

I haven't created any mods, I lack the talent and skill.
    When I said "mine" I meant my version of vanilla SS 6.1. It's in there and I haven't installed any other mods that might have included your map, so I'm pretty sure it was SS that put it there. You should definitely talk to KingKong himself to sort this out. Fact of the matter is that two people who have installed SS have your map and just by probability we are most likely not the only ones to have them.
    Edit: I'm guessing the lack of response in this thread is because people don't bother to look in the historical battles section after playing all of them to death since the game's release and I don't remember being told that new maps will be added in there.
    This is just a guess, but maybe one of the modders had your map installed for his own enjoyment and it somehow made it into the final version of the files?
    Last edited by melancholic; May 06, 2008 at 07:57 PM.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson45cal. View Post
    ...... no response , no feed back..... was starting to think nobody wanted or needed the new maps...So all in all I'm somewhat discouraged by the whole experience.
    I learned a looooong time ago, when I was making custom .wad files for DOOM, to expect nothing; and you'll never be dissappointed ..

I'm interested in doing a custom tiles project for the SS6 campaign map; doing custom maps for locations like ports, resource locations, suburb tiles next to cities and other spots that can be marked with a dummy resource .cas.

Could really make spice up the campaign battle maps, have you ever made any custom tiles?

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

Thompson45cal.
    Sorry, yes Horton is defineatly an offical SS 6 battle map, but do not play such as like the campaigning side. As you have one map in SS, why not try posting others in the Sub Mods forum, where you may recieve far more exposure and appreciation for good work .

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised and excited , somebodys making good use of my maps, wish I could install SS...... have to wait for santa to come see me..... I best be good , I reckon.