Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius (II)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius

Tribune Maximus, you yourself should know that no defender of the people should have to explain his actions if he does not want to. That is not his job. While I agree with your sentiment, I believe such a trial to be inappropriate at this time. A veto override should suffice.

Lepidus turns to Paulus

ooc: Don't cry LAP Macedon, I don't really mean this to you

However, you sir have acted with unimaginable gall and total disregard for your constituents. You sit here pretending to protect the people, yet have vetoed the very measure that would end the war and stop Plebeian deaths!

How dare you sit here in the trappings of power and neglect your sworn duties?! How dare you test the patience of this body with your abuse and misuse of your solemn power? Do you not see that the entire senate is against this veto? Do you not understand that you are consigning our nation to a continued war?!

No, sir, of course you do not. You see, in the end you cannot lose here, that is the essential fact. You have brought this peace process to a standstill because your imbecilic suggestion of attempting to wrench land from the jaws of one of the most powerful nation in the world. Can you not see that we are not in a position of supreme strength, and that the war could be prolonged? Do you not know that you are dooming your people to war?

You sir are a disgrace and not fit for the office you hold. If you EVER endanger this republic in this way again, I will see you stripped of your office, if not worse.

Lepidus turns to the senate.

Good day, senators, I must retire to my villa now.
    Last edited by Winter; May 07, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Order senators! We need motions for this, and we are just wasting time, effort, whats left of our unity, and maybe some lives quibling over this. We need votes!

ooc: thats your job tenth lol you make the polls as JC

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Thank you, Lepidus"

"Many here have failed to see the real intention behind my proposal to strip the power of Aemilius Paulus and in consequence, the use of my veto. My true intention wasn't to humiliate Paulus, not at all! My true intention was to show this Senate House how a veto can be misused to further ones goals and bring this great Republic to a standstill. If the veto powers are used only to counter the objectives of a Senatorial discussion, then it is as easy for a different minded Tribune, I in this case, to use his own veto and bring any and all negotiations to an end - leaving our great body doing absolutely nothing, wasting time to override the vetoes being thrown left and right. Senators, my intention wasn't to demonstrate my power by bringing down poor Aemilius; my intention was to teach him that a veto misuse may be critical for the well-being of the Commonwealth and all those that wish to be tribunes must always have the best interest of the People and Senate of Rome in their minds."

"Having said that, I withdraw my veto on the peace processions and further I withdraw my proposal to strip the Tribune of his powers. However, I suggest the Censor to investigate as to the meanings of this misuse and punish the wrong doer as they seem fit."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Misused?
    is it really not infavour of the pelbians for rome to get greater????
    the pelbians do not want the greeks king in theyer lands for 5 months!
    they want our consul in sparta in 5 months.
    Victory is what we need. The gauls are nothing in comparison to forces like the plotimies, good senators if they were to attack, Rome would fall. ht e greeks king will accept those demands I have placed becuse he is loosing, he will loose his empire if he dosen't accept.
    I only care for the republic and it's pepole and demand that any trial will be completly public.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"So, you mean to say that you are not withdrawing your veto after all? You mean to say that you do not repent(lol) for this gross display of your office exploitation?! Then, I say, we have nothing more to say in this Senate House! Let us put our arguments with the People and let them decide what is the right thing to do!"

OOC: YAY a trial, at last!

I'll be going Cicero on you, my boy!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Sure, we can MAYBE beat the greeks in a continued war, but how would our republic look after that? worn out and bloodied and maybe even weak!

I say we make peace, fend off the gauls, and prepare IN CASE the greeks decide to attack us again.

I have no problem with a "white peace" i do have a problem with this silly notion that we should demand outrageous things from the greeks, money? armour? cities and land? I dont believe we need more land, we are already hearing about discontent in the land we already have!

We need a break from the war with the greeks, be it short or long lasting, i say if we have peace!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

let us not go down the path of tribunes using their veto or threatening it.
    In the last 18 months I have seen it used four times now and I tell you this, it is four times to many.
    Had the first veto been avoided we would not be in this predicament.
    So if a resolution cannot be found in the course of todays senate meeting then I will head back to my legion.
    I will send a message to the king to meet me in Illyria and I will conduct any negotiations under my imperium.
    Enough time has been wasted and now I must do what is needed for the Republic.
    Many times it has been whispered that I have imperialistic ideals but that is not the case.
    I have fought with every fibre of my being to ensure that the republic is safe and free from oppressors.
    Now I will do what I must to ensure peace between Rome and the Republic and the Hellenic Nation
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I would like to ask you,are we animals who want blood and money from the Greeks or are we Romans.The people of both nations have suffered enough and I'm sure they will start to revolt against us if we wan't to destroy the Greeks now when too many have died.We need to bring our republic back to normal and recover from that bloody war.And Lucius Aemilius,I would like to ask you,are you an animal or a senator of Rome?"

O Sancta Simplicitas!

OOC: guies I've deen the save we could pwn the greeks if would use the full capability of the republic.

IC: what???
    wey will we not demand land if we can??
    why should we not destroy the hellens???
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu

ooc: seen the save? hows that possible? I have the save and its been the same for almost a week now. More to the point you're technically not allowed to allow RL (seeing the save) to influence your IC.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Don´t you see it Lucius?
    Don´t you see that we have trouble to secure our borders even now?
    Seek your conscious and withdraw your veto.

OOC:sorry for not being active this weak.
    I have been
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

I'll withdraw my veto when we get what is rightfully romes!
    we CAN get 100000 denari
    we CAN get more land then why refuse it?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Caesar Imperium never extends to starting wars or concluding peace. I would advise you not to do that

Lucius, are you truly that greedy? do you not realise what continued war will mean? roman lives lost, why fight when we are offered peace!?

Rome is strong yes, but continued war with the greeks is simply not beneficial, no matter how many cities we conquer, or how many denari we gain! i say we ask them for peace and leave it at that.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: See, this arguing is exactly the reason we need a Princeps Senatus, but apparently we can't get one this term.

After listening to the rants of countless senators about the peace with the Greeks, Caius rises and walks out of the senate house with his servants following closely by and thinks to himself

I will not be a part of this mindless arguement. What has Rome done to deserve such lazy men. They are not willing to face new problems with any enthusism until money has been made. Does nobody care of the people anymore? of the state of the Empire? It is an end of an age for Rome. My father served in a time when senators put their good will for Rome above their own interests. We'll see if I can't change their minds. I would rather a consul become a king and something done than continued arguements in the senate getting nothing done. Forward progress must be achieved by one way or another.

Caius enters his villa and is greeted by his wife, a meal is set out.

"Senators, we must come to a conclusion. We must think of the good of Rome and its people. If this means taking money, then so be it. If it means taking lands, so be it. But what the people mostly want is peace, and for lives to be lived instead of used in a war with the Greeks. Let us just demand peace from the Greek King, so that both of our nations may recover. We have won many things for Rome during this war; let us not lose them by messing up a chance at peace!"

With that, Tertius left to go home and rest. He was tired of the constant arguing, that only hurt Rome in the long run.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Where is our Junior Consul, we need a vote!
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus stood, disgusted with the men before him. He walked down to the Praetor's office, sat down, and began to write.