Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius (II)

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius

it is a fair treaty, the greeks have lost if the war goes on we will be in sparta in 5-10 years!
    the fact is that we have won and should have the right to treat the king as we wish or else greece falls.

we must gain a shorter supply route so we need appolonia to protect ourselfs from greek attacks.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

OOC: Have I left yet? If I haven't then this is what my guy will say:

IC: "I say we ask for money, and for them to give up cities to us."

Titus Vedius speaks up...

"Won? That depends on what you mean by winning... They lost men true, they lost the war true, but at a cost... We've lost more than 7,000 men, most of that last year alone. No... anger the king by asking for his precious land and injure his Spartan ideals by asking for his armour and weaponry, even in smelted form, and war will erupt once more. Will we win it? Perhaps, but if we do it will be at a cost, the king, so insulted will throw everything he has at us. No... don't antagonise the cornered animal, lest he strikes out in desperation. A division must be seen... now, the longer we keep him waiting, (its technically been half a year...) the more apt he will be to take it as an insult and leave."

if he will not repair all he has done in addition to 100000 denari + annual tribune and 2 cityes is not much for a peace treaty.
    7000 to 700000 of theyers, sparta will run out of men at this pace!
    the spartan king came becuse he is losing a sign of our victory.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

ENOUGH!
    Either we take what we can, 10 Denarii for every soldier lost and 30 000 Denarii for the city of Rome and a ceasefire.
    Let us put this to a motion.
    We can have no more of this bickering.
    If you cannot decide then know this, I will go to the king myself and broker a deal.
    A ceasefire or war.
    You decide.
    But this ends now.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

the greeks have lost! they must pay us more than what our soildiers have done and appolonia is a fair deal!

in addition to this I think we need a diplomat's position to be perminent.
    Last edited by Lucius Aemilius Paulus Macedon; May 07, 2008 at 01:43 PM.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

I have said what I must.
    I am the legally elected consul.
    I say we have a division.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

if we do not force the greeks to give us at least one province I WILL veto the aggrement.

I say contunue the war. Why stop now? We are knocking at their gates. Have we lost a single battle in recent history to them? Germanica's destruction is a memory in light of our sucessful battles in Illyria and elsehwere. We should push on and estabish trade in the Aegaen by conquering the Greek capitol and peninsula as a whole.

that will take a lot of time and we have the gauls on our borders so our full power can't be reached.
    resting now for a few years to push the gauls back and then decisevly killing off the greeks would be better.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Might I say that asking for a city is not a good idea. We have already liberated two cities from the Greek tyranny, which we intend to keep. Also we have obtained the Cisalpine cities of Patavium and Mediolanum from them through diplomatic means.

The people of these cities were suppressed, true, and the were glad to be liberated, also true, but now that life is returning to normal in these cities the people realise they did not get the amount of freedom they hoped they would get. This lead to unrest and riots, and this will happen again again if we negotiate the transfer of other Greek cities. These riots will take valuable manpower away from the Gallic and Greek fronts, so the taking of a city will indirectly cost plebeian lives. Lives of plebes may even be lost directly if the citizens riot or rebel.

In short, I fail to see why a representative and - officially - protector of plebeian interests in the Senate would veto an action that would save plebeian lives. Would you mind explaining that to me, tribune?
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

I am tribune of the Pepole of ROME not a gallic province.
    the greeks deserv more punishment even tho the new ones will draw more forces we will be abel to attack greek haretland in less than 3 months!!!
    the greeks however will be a years march from Rome and the intrest of the pepole is not to get squshed by greeks!!!

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

The plebeian lives we lose are Roman. Order needs to be maintained, and the new territory needs to be defended by soldiers, Roman soldiers. Roman soldiers who consequently cannot fight in the Gallic war, and therefore cannot provide support for their fellow legionaries. You are endangering Roman lives, Tribune. Do you mind explaining why?
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; May 07, 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Senators, what are we? Are we thieves or bandits or pirates to ask for money in return for peace? Must I remind this Senate House of Brennus and his horde of hideous Gauls? Are we now any different from these brutes, now that we are asking money as they did? So, with that in mind, I urge all of you to reconsider what our proposal will be and ask for a white peace. Both our nations have suffered enough; asking for an incredible amount of cash just because we can will produce nothing more but further hate and anger from the Greeks for all us Romans and as you can well guess that will not be to our benefit."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

we are getting torn apart, do we need a motion? This needs to be voted on!

I here by veto
    any white peace between the Roman republic and the Helenistic Greeks

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Fellow Tribune." Fabius Maximus started.

"I hope you understand the unethical of your veto use; why you issue a veto on a proposal to act just if not because you are in support of this act of banditry? And be that as if may, how comes a Tribune of the Plebeians use his sacrosanct power of veto to block a proposal of sanity in favor for a proposal of insanity and arrogance? How does this use of veto favors the Plebeian Class? I demand to know! Since you have obviously no other explanation that the fact that you used your powers to block a decision that was against your own beliefs, I move that we issue a vote to strip the Tribunal office of this man with the charges of abuse of power. Since, I believe, all here in this Sacred Chamber will agree that the Tribune has provided no explanation that could counter the crime, I hereby demand that the Tribune Paullus is brought to trial. Further, I issue my Tribunal VETO on the proposed peace treaty, at least while the Tribune faces trial."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

ooc: is what fabius proposes even constitutional? Cause i sure didnt realize we had the option to strip anyone of their power by vote, i thought the only tool for use against the tribune was the override veto vote.

We need a vote to keep order! I order both Fabius' motion and the other motion to be put into a new topic by each of the proposers

Titues Vedius speaks out...

"You gentlemen do realize the Greek King has been waiting for a good 5 months now? If he is forced to wait any longer because of the petty bickering going on and the power trips of our "Esteemed" Tribunes, he is going to be insulted and leave? How would you feel if we were on a mission of peace and the Greek king made us wait at his doorstep for 5 months? No the solution here is simple, put aside your differences, and lift your vetos, allow Falco to negotiate SOME kind of peace... any kind! Or none will be had."