Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius (II)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius

"I say we do agree with the Greek delegation. First, because we could use the time to regroup our legions and refit the men. Secondly, because as noble Parthicus has brought up with his messenger, we still face the difficult Gallic problem and fighting in two fronts may be amusing but certainly not to our benefit in the long run."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

I aggre we need breathing space but then if we are to make peace with the greeks we must fight the gauls harder!
    we must take the south of gaul to prevent an attack on Iberia if the gauls would gain Iberia then they would hit us twice as hard!

OOC: haw many stacks do we have?
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

"Also, it has come to my attention that our Commonwealth is in desperate need of more men to guard our ever growing borders. To that end I present you the Lex Fabia Militaris which aims to provide our Senate with the necessary bulk of men to continue guard our peace and ways of life.

LEX FABIA MILITARIS:

i. Forthwith, for every two Roman provinces a Roman Legion must be recruited.

ii. Also, for every Roman Legion, the Senate can ask for the equipment of an Auxiliary Legion (8 Italian X Cohorts, 2-4 Roman cavalry, 6-8 medium and light/skirmisher units, 0-2 siege units and 1 Roman General). At no time can the total number of Auxiliary Legions be above the active Roman Legions.

iii. Every year, the Senate with a vote will mobilize the active Legions to assume a new guarding duty in a different province. The Tours of Duty apply as follows:

a. Every new legion has 10 years(10 consular terms) of active service within which must guard the lands of the Republic. Each year, with a Senatum Consultum, any Legion can either retain its guard duties in the province they are residing or be given a new one.

b. After the said period has passed, the Legion can either return to Italy for a period of 4 years(consular terms) in which time the legion is regarded inactive(cannot partake in wars, breaking sieges etc) or if worthy, be disbanded and given land in Italy.

c. At times of national crisis(if the city of Rome is in jeopardy, if the borders are collapsing, if the Roman armies have suffered more than one consecutive defeat) all Legions are to be regarded active.

iv. At all times, the armies of the Republic cannot overcome the 1/5 of the entire Commonwealth's populace.

vi. At times of war, the Senate can provide the Consul with a Consular Army(2+ fullstacks) with which to achieve the goals of the campaign.

vii. The Consul, Proconsuls and all other Imperium wielders cannot move the Legions from their postings without a Senatum Consultum(Senate's vote) unless the said legion is part of the Consular Army.
    "Senators, I bring Lex Fabia to discussion."

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

As recruitment of a full legion takes about 5 years, I think it is a wiser idea not to wait for a war to recruit the regular legions, all legions must be ready all the time, with auxilia recruited where and when necessary. But overall I agree with your plan.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I do agree with the proposal Parthicus has send us, taking the city would be much in our favor.

I will try to maintain a peace agrement with the gaulish tribes as fast as my convoy would be helped (see this thread. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=162710)
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by apple; May 05, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

I support making peace with the greeks, if only for a little while.

I also think it would be a sound plan to take Aventicum, to help protect our northern border.

I will support the LEX FABIA MILITARIS, if the changes pointed out by senator falco(do i call you that) are made to it.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I support the LEX FABIA MILITARIS.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Senators of Rome.
    I ask what is happening?
    Usually by the second month I should have received reports and the likes.
    Yet till now nothing!
    Where is my co-consul.
    Why have I not heard anything from him.
    I await your replies.
    Other than that I intend to take the legions and move south as discussed.
    The Greeks seem to moving away from the borders but I have heard nothing to stop us from conquering their coast.
    Ser.Labienus Africanus
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

OOC: Caesar Rex have you taken care of the rebels who blocked me?
    If soo could I have the save tomorrow?
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

OOC: were is tenth?

I must say that now after so many years of war its about time we came up with a plan that works.
    From when my father recruited the first and filled our ranks with a permanent armed force there have been many problems.
    What could one expect with the employment of so many new recruits.

To add to the Lex Fabia Militaris...

i. Forthwith, for every two Roman provinces a Roman Legion must be recruited.
    This gives us up to 13 legions we may recruit based on the number of major towns in the Republic.

ii. Also, for every Roman Legion, the Senate can ask for the equipment of an Auxiliary Legion (8 Italian X Cohorts, 2-4 Roman cavalry, 6-8 medium and light/skirmisher units, 0-2 siege units and 1 Roman General). At no time can the total number of Auxiliary Legions be above the active Roman Legions.
    With 13 legions we will have more than enough manpower to require less Auxiliary legions.
    Those can be moved to peaceful areas like Sicily and the Islands.
    This will enable us the full use of our legions are our borders.

iii. Every year, the Senate with a vote will mobilize the active Legions to assume a new guarding duty in a different province. The Tours of Duty apply as follows:
    ooc: Do you think we will be able to do this in one day because it could hamper a consul stuck in a war trying to worry about moving legions from pillar to post? Just asking.

a. Every new legion has 10 years(10 consular terms) of active service within which must guard the lands of the Republic. Each year, with a Senatum Consultum, any Legion can either retain its guard duties in the province they are residing or be given a new one.
    Who is going to keep track of the new and old legions and how long they been roaming around the peninsula?

b. After the said period has passed, the Legion can either return to Italy for a period of 4 years(consular terms) in which time the legion is regarded inactive(cannot partake in wars, breaking sieges etc) or if worthy, be disbanded and given land in Italy.
    Why four years of inactivity?

c. At times of national crisis(if the city of Rome is in jeopardy, if the borders are collapsing, if the Roman armies have suffered more than one consecutive defeat) all Legions are to be regarded active.
    Only after two defeats or Romes wall are breached? Thats very seldom going to happen and means we have legions being inactive for four years.

iv. At all times, the armies of the Republic cannot overcome the 1/5 of the entire Commonwealth's populace.
    With our current population I doubt that will ever happen.

vi. At times of war, the Senate can provide the Consul with a Consular Army(2+ fullstacks) with which to achieve the goals of the campaign.
    2 legions for each consul? Or two legions for both consuls?

vii. The Consul, Proconsuls and all other Imperium wielders cannot move the Legions from their postings without a Senatum Consultum(Senate's vote) unless the said legion is part of the Consular Army.
    That can work once we have determined which legions will serve in what areas. Yet this also needs to be flexible enough to ensure that Rome is always protected and if she needs her legions then they will be there.
    Is a posting a province? Or an area? Because if its a province and you have to chase a band of gauls across the border to protect the towns then that must be allowed.

Servius Labienus 'the younger' (33)
    Senator of Rome

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

This new law from Fabius is similar to the Lex Vitruvia. Or at least, it has similar intents of fixing up the legion system. There are good points in both laws, yet both also have flaws. Perhaps the two laws could amalgamate and put into one new law all the things that can be agreed on?

That Quintus is a brilliant idea.
    We need someone who has the knack of putting laws together to tackle this.
    Also the Prudentii have an addition to make to this law.
    Senator Marcus Lucretius has further details.

Senator of Rome

If we are going to amalgamate, there is one addition I would like to make:

With the present amount of provinces the number of legions should be 12 (this may change after further conquests). 8 of those would be provincial legions: for example 2 in Africa, 2 in Cisalpine Gaul, 2 in Massilia and the Punic Isles and 2 in Illyria. The remaining 4 should be consular legions stationed in Italy in times of peace. The existing fronts will be defended in that case and in fact offensive actions can be taken.
    PLEBEIAN

isn't there a office of law maker?

@ Servius Labienus,

Your replies, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Rex View Post
    ooc: Do you think we will be able to do this in one day because it could hamper a consul stuck in a war trying to worry about moving legions from pillar to post? Just asking.
    Just trying to make it as historically accurate as possible. If you read the description of any numbered legion in RS, you'll see that they have fought all around the Roman Empire. So, I propose that the last act before the week's elections should be to short out and mobilize where the legions go next term.

Who is going to keep track of the new and old legions and how long they been roaming around the peninsula?
    The Quaestor can do it; he can simply have an index which will show:
    a) date of levy
    b) provinces the legion has served
    c) if inactive, province which the legion should be resting.

Why four years of inactivity?
    Maybe its too much... How about 1 single consular term?

Only after two defeats or Romes wall are breached? Thats very seldom going to happen and means we have legions being inactive for four years.
    Only if an enemy is close to Rome, not the city being breached and if we lose two battles one after the other.

2 legions for each consul? Or two legions for both consuls?
    Neither. What I mean is that the Senate will provide the consuls with a consular army which must be at least 2 fullstacks strong.

@ Marius Parthicus,

That can be done as long as all sides are confident of the outcome.

I understand where you are going with this Gaius Fabius yet I see very similar traits to the lex Vitruvii and the plan by the Prudentii...
    The key is the placement of the legions, whether they roam the repbulic or remain in certain provinces and the term they serve.
    The key here is too find common ground to make this work.

Senator of Rome

why can't we just garrison them in theyer assigned prov's and let the procounsuls worry?

A Messenger from the Hellenic League enters the senate

"I am Theocles, official messenger for His Majesty Archidamus V. He has stopped at Rome’s promerium, we are attempting to honor your law of no king stepping foot in Rome. He specifically requests that a man by the name of Marcus Lucretius Falco, come and negotiate the ceasefire, he will not talk with any other man…”

The messenger waits…

Falco rises

"It would appear we have little choice in this matter. The Spartan king wishes it, the consul also recommended me last term and I have experience in dealing with the Greeks, therefore I shall go to the Greek king's camp."

Falco packs up his scrolls and prepares to leave.
    PLEBEIAN