Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expected Release??

Default Expected Release??

Will one of you modders just tell me around what time you are expecting release. I'm sure it won't be for a while but please would you just tell me how many more months you're expecting. Thank you and good luck on this mod I am already very psyched for it.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Expected Release??

Will one of you modders just tell me around what time you are expecting release. I'm sure it won't be for a while but please would you just tell me how many more months you're expecting.
    I don't mean to sound like an old nagging grandmother here but thats a fairly rude way of asking don't you think? "just tell me" not exactly the most polite way especially when the mod has only been worked on for a month so far and probably isn't even 15% complete

Oh and 1000 post! Yay me!

It wasn't intended to be rude the just tell me wasn't me saying tell me now or anything I was trying to say instead of giving me an exact month or date just tell me how many months they think it will take. So in other words it is not impolite or meant to be a bratty statement. It was just me trying to make it easier on them and if they wanted to just give me like a time frame and not a release date. What you did right now was impolite you made me look like a jackass when I wasn't even being one. I can't put emotions behind words when messaging through the internet, so when you took my words as a bratty statement I meant to write them in a polite way. Well anyway I'll rewrite my post just for you alright jerk

Please will the modding team of third age total war give me an estimated time frame of when you believe your mod will come out? If you think it is too early to guess please feel free to write that in this thread and I will not and moan about you not giving away information. I know it has only been a month so it would be hard to estimate. I thank you for your time and hard work you are putting in this mod and wish you good luck.

Just like you we don't know when it will be done, so truly the answer is when it's done, but just look how much we have gotten done, and by the way, King Kong is now helping us!
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

Fenix_120's Avatar Senator

With King Kong helping you, your gonna be done in no time.

(well... any wear from two days to ten years)

deathmaw's Avatar Ordinarius

hopefuly the first of the two
    One by one they fell to the power of the Ring

Ya..........SHREDDER pumps out units fast, but not that fast. Plus you got to keep in mind the map making, making better AI, 2D Stuff (my job), and all eye candy things, so in other words, not two days, but probably months not years.

ya school ends in two days for me so beware i am going to post like crazy
    in this forum and in the RGI forum

One question: With Lotr:tw for rome total war there was a release called 1.1c where you had all the units for custom battle and you had some historical battles too. In the second release 2.0 BETA it was with campaing and all.
    How will it work with this mod?? will there be a release with the units for custom battle and then later the campaign added or will you wait with release till the campaing is finished?
    keep up the good work
    Movie maker for the Third Age Total War

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Well anyway I'll rewrite my post just for you alright jerk
    HAHA!

Ah, now thats comedy

know this is very of topic but deathmaw you should add do not stop the attack until the city is taken
    and could someone please answer my previous question because I really want an answer
    tanx ahead
    Movie maker for the Third Age Total War

yes that could be a quote alright,

Quote Originally Posted by deathmaw View Post
    yes that could be a quote alright,
    I believe he was correcting your sig, not giving you a new quote.......

yes indeed i see it now

now I forgot where we are at in the conversation....

we were debating what's going to be in the first release

Ummmmm, k whats everybody wondering? Any questions that need answering?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinsander View Post
    One question: With Lotr:tw for rome total war there was a release called 1.1c where you had all the units for custom battle and you had some historical battles too. In the second release 2.0 BETA it was with campaing and all.
    How will it work with this mod?? will there be a release with the units for custom battle and then later the campaign added or will you wait with release till the campaing is finished?
    keep up the good work
    he wants to know whats going to be in our first release

Quote Originally Posted by deathmaw View Post
    he wants to know whats going to be in our first release
    I know everyone is excited about the mod, but don't you think it's a bit early in the game to be picking out specific details, but don't worry we will keep you guys informed.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I thought I'd post this in this thread as it seemed most appropriate. I wanted to wish the Team well in creating this modification. The Elves in the screenshots are beautiful.

As someone who has been modding TW for far too long (and will fully retire soon!) and with most of that time being as Map Manager, then Coding Manager and a Team Manager at FATW I thought I might just share FATW's progression which may, in turn, give some sense of how this mod may go forward...

The end of 2004 was spent discussing what the mod would be, and when it would be set. Some work on map design began. 2005 was a year of research and design. The full map was completed during this period by Tittils. Like any team we had our fair share of comings and goings. Most of the original team left within months of it being launched. At its height - during 2005 - the team had about 20 members, probably a half dozen or more dedicated enough to provide a core. In 2006-07 this team and core size dropped considerably. Most of the units were done by Balbor. He produced them very fast mainly during mid 2005-6.

We released a couple of trailers and then a HB/CBs release at the end of 2005. After this we proceeded on our plan to attend tot he full campaign but it became apparent that there was such a huge amount of work still to do - despite having the full map and nearly all the units done - that we needed to either seriously cut back on our goals or to opt for a modular approach to the releases. Modular releases were a godsend. They picked up the morale of both the team and the fans. They also created playable products that, should the team have vanished, would remain as a lasting legacy rather than an incomplete build that would never see the light of day.

Corsair Invasion (3 campaign factions + 2 CB factions (80 new units in total/about a third of the full map present)) was released in late 2006 modifying most areas of the game (though not battlemap buildings - this was an area we decided to leave as it would have hamstrung us) and Forth Eorlingas (5 campaign factions - about 20 more unique models added; map extended to approx half the full map) was released in Feb 2007 which built up in patches until The New Shadow was released toward the end of last year. More research, improvements, balancing and so forth have been diligently attended to by Aradan since that point.

It may also be of worth to note that we addressed the "easy" factions first. Dwarves and Elves were left out (as campaign factions) because of the huge amount of extra work non-Mannish cultures would create.

Looking back, both at FATW and at other mods with which I have been involved either in support or in creating, I would say the biggest mistake most mods make is to try to create the whole world in one go. It's an enormous task and most give up within 3 months of starting when reality hits. Since retiring from FATW (where I regularly put in probably 70+ hours per week since early 2005) I have focused on smaller projects. MMS (with Makanyane) was a mere matter of a few weeks not including the time spent waiting for submissions ) ; Gods & Fighting Men took me about 6 months, with a few models help from Halie and some solid work on traits, ancs and unit balance from Aradan (though of course I used Arthurian models and an adapted part of their map too). My current project (Title of Liberty) is nearly done and I estimate 7 months for that (it's a one faction vs one faction mod with one playable).

Of course, I appreciate that mods today perhaps do not need to do some of the research that was done back then. I appreciate that you have tutorials which we did not...but nevertheless things do take a lot longer than is first thought.

If I were doing a Middle-earth mod today I would come up with a small idea for a mini-mod (either as a stand alone or a part of a greater work if there was a team) which filled a niche. The sadly abandoned Moria - Total War was a superb and unique idea for just such a mini-mod. I would look at the released mods (basically FATW and LOTRTW) and ask "what can I release that is different but appealing?".

Again, best of luck with this and do not let the dream die (but make it a realistic dream!)

- MasterOfNone
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; May 05, 2008 at 05:47 AM.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast