Thread: Question regarding general/governor traits.

Default Question regarding general/governor traits.

I've been trying to figure out how to get my generals more desirable traits and avoid them taking on negative traits. I've developed a hunch that keeping generals as active as possible (and not parked in cities for long times) helps keep them from taking on useless traits, but, unfortunately, its necessary to park governors for a while. But I'm not sure if this is the case...

Does anybody know the mechanics of how this works? How do family members gain traits over time? Is this something that can be controlled at all?

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Question regarding general/governor traits.

Well yes, basically the more active the family member is, the better. But if you want to keep family members in cities for long times, build stuff like academies and temples so that the general gets good traits like "intelligent" or "religious". But be careful what temples you build as well, cos building a temple to Bacchus is likely to make your general like wine. And also, build less thing like taverns.

I've found that because generals do gain negative traits while in cities, it's best to have no governor at all rather than one who lowers public order and income.

Choose a few generals that you want to be your "good" generals, use the others as powerful cavalry support. Move all your "good" retainers to them from other generals. Have them lead all your armies on campaigns. Never let them sit around in any one place for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by QRS View Post
    Choose a few generals that you want to be your "good" generals, use the others as powerful cavalry support. Move all your "good" retainers to them from other generals. Have them lead all your armies on campaigns. Never let them sit around in any one place for too long.
    More details on how to move retainers around please.

What do you do w/ "coming of age" family members who have no traits at all? Just send them out to war to gain experience?

Is there a better chance of picking up traitors to add to your general's retainers if you end the battle when the option pops up? I usually prefer to continue the battle and anihilate everyone!:hmmm: I let some live the other day and wabam!! my guy picked up a turn coat!

the traits a family member gains depends on whether he's a governor or a general. None of the traits he gains are entirely useless, though there's alot of negative traits. If u want a governor, put a fam member in a city and leave him there. He will gather mostly administrative traits, because that's all he does. If u want a general, send a fam member on campaign and keep him out of the city as much as possible. I do this sort of thing all the time and my generals all end up earning the name "Conquerer" before they die, and my governors usually get names like "Builder," or "Killer," depending on whether or not they bulid alot or happen to train some successful asassins. Hope this clears your confusion up

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

To move retainers from your generals, drag the retainer's card onto the card of another general on the same tile

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Continuing battles rather than ending them, and keeping generals active will give them good traits. I find that killing lots of small rebel armies gets my generals good attack stats, fighting proper campaigns gets them good defence stats and building lots of things like certain temples and sewers/farms etc. gives them good management. Good influence - as you say, keep him active.
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius