Page 7 of 228 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elitist Chat Thread

Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

Anti-war people in a Total War forum?
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire le Philosophe View Post
    Anti-war people in a Total War forum?
    Who said you couldn't be? I sure am.

Indefinitely Banned

I'm certainly anti-war! There's no way that I would put my life on the line at the behest of our fat-cat so-called leaders: spiritual or temporal!

It was said that war "was diplomacy carried on by other means". Now, I think we can replace "diplomacy" with "big business and special interests". :hmmm:

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Wow how did I miss this thread!

In current Boeing news, the cable guy who updated all our lines, decided to cut the dedicated internet line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    I'm certainly anti-war! There's no way that I would put my life on the line at the behest of our fat-cat so-called leaders: spiritual or temporal!

It was said that war "was diplomacy carried on by other means". Now, I think we can replace "diplomacy" with "big business and special interests". :hmmm:
    What if some loonie dictator of a foreign power invaded your country? Would you surrender to him without a fight and prepare to live without shoes or would you take into arms, even if you had only a minimal grasp of military training and not a decent physical condition? Or would you just dismiss it and call it a "plot" by the "big business" to send a lot of people as cannon fodder so they could die for them to get more money?
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire le Philosophe View Post
    What if some loonie dictator of a foreign power invaded your country? Would you surrender to him without a fight and prepare to live without shoes or would you take into arms, even if you had only a minimal grasp of military training and not a decent physical condition? Or would you just dismiss it and call it a "plot" by the "big business" to send a lot of people as cannon fodder so they could die for them to get more money?

Hehe - the old emotive chestnuts are the best.

Ok, let me put it like this:

Would I defend myself from an aggressive act? Yes, if I could.

Would I participate in a war of aggression, at the behest of those whose scruples I mistrusted, either for patriotic or religious reasons? Nope.

When one of the "penalties" of not supporting the war in Iraq, as the French found out, was to be precluded from the hand out of juicy reconstruction contracts afterwards (although that itself has turned out to be a poisoned chalice), please excuse my cynicism, but it's kept me alive so far.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

...When one of the "penalties" of not supporting the war in Iraq, as the French found out, was to be precluded from the hand out of juicy reconstruction contracts afterwards...
    Not so very bad when you consider that the UK's "reward" for supporting and participating in the war is to fail to actually win any contracts.

For example http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3500324.stm

No British firms won in the latest round, but the UK government pointed out that some work will be handled by the UK offices of the victorious US bidders.
    I laughed until I choked...
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Hehe - the old emotive chestnuts are the best.

Ok, let me put it like this:

Would I defend myself from an aggressive act? Yes, if I could.

Would I participate in a war of aggression, at the behest of those whose scruples I mistrusted, either for patriotic or religious reasons? Nope.

When one of the "penalties" of not supporting the war in Iraq, as the French found out, was to be precluded from the hand out of juicy reconstruction contracts afterwards (although that itself has turned out to be a poisoned chalice), please excuse my cynicism, but it's kept me alive so far.
    Good to know. I agree with you.

This is public service announcement for all future/current law students:

Never take partnership taxation.

Let me repeat that.

NEVER TAKE PARTNERSHIP TAXATION. That is all.

*goes back to massaging his poor brain*
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the end for me in European History class. From now on we are going to watch European-related movies and do other random stuff (eat, sleep, play some cards maybe).

I'm bringing in Gladiator.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Hooray, I didn't fail my Italian Mid-Sem!

Now I just have to not fail Latin, Classical Myth and Foundations for Ancient Greece and I'm set.

*goes back to wondering what to do with his crush on his friend who is eighteen, and thus three years older than him*
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    *goes back to wondering what to do with his crush on his friend who is eighteen, and thus three years older than him*
    You're better off waiting a decade. Besides being illegal in many countries, that kind of gap at your age is the equivalent of a few decades.

Hey, just be glad you're not this kid. He'll have graduated from college before he even begins to develop that strange attraction to balls of fat with nipples on the end of them that we call puberty.
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

Indefinitely Banned

Holy crap that is one smart Jew.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

Nice to see your status back, Miraj!

And at least Scorch is taking real classes, not some PE/Algebra crap.

But I mean now the kid's planning on getting a Ph.D in astrophysics.....wow.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aja5191 View Post
    Or is it.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

AL well, you win some you lose some....

And I'm glad we're having two distinct conversations on different sides of the site.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    Hooray, I didn't fail my Italian Mid-Sem!

Now I just have to not fail Latin, Classical Myth and Foundations for Ancient Greece and I'm set.

Yes, you best wait on that, Scorch. People change rapidly, especially during the teen years, so you do not know if you'll want her later.

I'm sorry it's like this, but that's the way it is, bro.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Erich von Manstein View Post
    You're better off waiting a decade. Besides being illegal in many countries, that kind of gap at your age is the equivalent of a few decades.
    Well, I've just turned 15. I mean, it's not as if there's a real gap in maturity or personality, really. We're basically best friends at the moment, but I really do like her. It's frustrating me that I can't even tell her because it's just creepy for her on so many levels.

Hey, just be glad you're not this kid. He'll have graduated from college before he even begins to develop that strange attraction to balls of fat with nipples on the end of them that we call puberty.
    Oh, I've more than developed that strange attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by aja5191 View Post

And at least Scorch is taking real classes, not some PE/Algebra crap.

But I mean now the kid's planning on getting a Ph.D in astrophysics.....wow.
    An Arts degree is a proper university degree, damnit!

I actually feel very sorry for that kid. I started High School when I was 7, and that was incredibly awkward at times, confusing and just an incredibly crappy way to grow up. Even now I hang around girls that are eighteen when I've just turned fifteen, with obvious consequences.

Trust me, being that kid would be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Yes, you best wait on that, Scorch. People change rapidly, especially during the teen years, so you do not know if you'll want her later.

I'm sorry it's like this, but that's the way it is, bro.
    I never really planned to make a movie, I mean, what am I supposed to say in that kind of situation?
    Last edited by Scorch; May 15, 2008 at 06:27 AM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

3 more years and you can go and do all the freshmen chicks you want. And you can say you're a senior.

Bokks's Avatar Thinking outside Myself

Nah! That would be so boring!

Besides! 12 is a much more useful and flexible number. It can be divided 2,3,4 and 6, whereas with 10 it's only 2 and 5.

If 10 is so cool, why aren't there 10 days to the week, and 10 months in the year?
    Sorry this is a bit late... I just thought I'd add my two bits here
    The French did get a ten day week aftre the French revolution and before Napoleon. The thing was, though, that it wasn't for any particular ease, just to make it so that there were less weekends. Due to this, the second that they could the French switched back. Then with ten months in the year... actually that was once that way too, "September, October, November and December" actually mean "7, 8, 9, 10" but were moved back two months when Julius Caesar discovered the basic duration of the year, which is clearly not divisible by ten. (if you're on Who Wants to be a Millionaire and get the question "what used to be the first month of the year, it's March. Sort of...)

Beyond that, I really don't blame the Brits for keeping the pound. If they can work it, keep it! The fact that they have the pound and the Euro is a bit funky to me, but hey, whatev.

Besides Thanatos, we still use inches, feet and yards! A mile equals 5280 feet? Technically 5280.01? Jeez! Yet I'm not going to switch from that'ne, so the Crown shouldn't have to switch to boring old tens place for currency!

Quote Originally Posted by Erich von Manstein View Post

Holy Wow! As much as it must be odd to be him, it must be even stranger to be the 21 year old that he tutors!
    That is awesome, though. And he's active in so many other ways too! Karate, politics, Mandarin Chinese!
    Quote Originally Posted by news article
    His parents say they never planned to enroll their son in college at age 8, and sought to put him in a private elementary school when he was 6.
    "They didn't want to accept me because I knew more than the teacher there and they said I looked too bored," the youngster recalls.
    Now that's funny! If he knew more than the teachers, though, where'd he learn it? You're not born with 16+ years old educated knowledge.
    Patronized by Vɛrbalcartɷnist|Great-Great-Grandclient of Crandar
    Thinking Outside the Bokks since 2008...