Thread: The Elitist Chat Thread

Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    What argument? You've got no "data" about my opinion. It's not really a subject for debate - I just don't find it as interesting as before.
    The use of the word is somewhat coincidental. I presented the date prior to expressing that sentiment. Aik cam in later and stated the data didn't support an argument I wasn't making. The reponse you quoted was me stating the data was only useful for the argument I actually made.

And my two cents: don't believe everything you hear. It wasn't nearly the hive it's sometimes been made out to be. For example:

There really wasn't much elitism. It's a criticism that's been thrown at CdeC as an institution regularly. The members who thought of CdeC and citizenship as being truly elite weren't there for the whole time I was involved. People had different opinions about what citizenship should be about, but that's still the case today; there just isn't a beacon for people to rage against it like CdeC. Just about every councillor I saw come through the Curia (and I saw a lot over the time I was a councillor, curator and assistant curator) wanted to do the best thing for the Curia and site. The end of CdeC, with people railing against it and it's elitism, was unnecessarily abrasive and dismissive of the work people had done and continued to do. Rather than address the problem as a question of usefulness and who is capable of judging citizen entry standards, some chose to just attack CdeC. Naturally, some sitting and past councillors took this as an attack upon them and in some cases it was. The way it transpired was a shame because it was a situation that largely demonised people who had volunteered their time. Regardless of what people might have thought about the process and values of the people involved, it didn't need to happen the way it did.
    I agree and I said as much that as time progresses, the CdeC's reputation would be remember worse than it actually was.

At the time of the discussion of abolishing it, I suggested that 4 or 5 would preferred. There just isn't enough active member to support a 12 member council.
    To be fair, a great deal of the criticism stated the systemic problem and specific members were not mentioned. However, the nature of the criticism would make it difficult for anyone who was strong part of the CdeC not to take the discussion personal. Unfortunately, I do not think there was a more reasonable approach to the CdeC's removal. It is little consequence; we went from incessant monotonous elections to apparently incessant meaningless proposals.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

There really wasn't much elitism. It's a criticism that's been thrown at CdeC as an institution regularly. The members who thought of CdeC and citizenship as being truly elite weren't there for the whole time I was involved. People had different opinions about what citizenship should be about, but that's still the case today; there just isn't a beacon for people to rage against it like CdeC. Just about every councillor I saw come through the Curia (and I saw a lot over the time I was a councillor, curator and assistant curator) wanted to do the best thing for the Curia and site. The end of CdeC, with people railing against it and it's elitism, was unnecessarily abrasive and dismissive of the work people had done and continued to do. Rather than address the problem as a question of usefulness and who is capable of judging citizen entry standards, some chose to just attack CdeC. Naturally, some sitting and past councillors took this as an attack upon them and in some cases it was. The way it transpired was a shame because it was a situation that largely demonised people who had volunteered their time. Regardless of what people might have thought about the process and values of the people involved, it didn't need to happen the way it did.
    You know what I think about that topic. Every body who can elect somebody to do something for them will get exactly those individuals elected and re-elected they deserve - and that also goes out for how such a body is run or abolished.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Discontent Emeritus did you know I was admin once Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Indeed, I think I've been too light in my evaluations here. Definitely those who have gifted much of their time to TWC shouldn't be addressed that easily and really deserve much respect; not that saying that it was elitist is an accuse, but surely this is not kind. I guess it will be impossible to really understand what it represented without having experienced it myself.

Thanks for the info sir
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    You know what I think about that topic. Every body who can elect somebody to do something for them will get exactly those individuals elected and re-elected they deserve - and that also goes out for how such a body is run or abolished.
    I get that you reap what you sow, but there really wasn't a lot of alternatives to vote for....

I wondered if it would had been better to have the CdeC be more of a headhunting group where the members went looking for potential citizens then present them to the group or act as their patron and present them like now to the whole Curia. I guess it is neither here or there, since we have an informal system like this in place.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I get that you reap what you sow, but there really wasn't a lot of alternatives to vote for....
    I think that's Aik's point. If people don't make the effort and volunteer their own time, they haven't got a leg to stand on when they criticise the people who have actually volunteered their time. A lack of alternatives speaks more about the people who didn't run but just complained than those who actually gave their time.

I think that's Aik's point. If people don't make the effort and volunteer their own time, they haven't got a leg to stand on when they criticise the people who have actually volunteered their time. A lack of alternatives speaks more about the people who didn't run but just complained than those who actually gave their time.
    On second reading, I think I see that point.

Blog Entries

We really have worked together for quite some time, didn't we?

I wondered if it would had been better to have the CdeC be more of a headhunting group where the members went looking for potential citizens then present them to the group or act as their patron and present them like now to the whole Curia. I guess it is neither here or there, since we have an informal system like this in place.

Admittedly I phrased it in a provoking fashion to get somebody to bite But, Pike, Genius has put the finger on exactly what I meant. Of course there have been only so many alternatives, but then again, if your dissatisfied with their performance, do something about it. Nobody can get into a position if he's not voted in. If I don't like the work somebody does, I don't vote for him. If I don't have an alternative to vote for, I either run myself or not. If I don't run, for whatever reason, I find the it a bit, hm, hypocritical to bash away at the performance of those who, in contrary to me not running, volunteer their time and effort to do the job.

I'm not saying, don't cirticise, but it's all too easy if people don't take an effort to actively improve the situation.

So, yes, it goes both ways of course, but the responsibility for who is elected and re-elected is always on the entire electorate, not just those running.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

I guess that could be a fair argument. However,....
    If you consider the 12 members, plus Curator, plus 2 magistrates, then that would be total of 15 elected people by the Curator.
    In order to have a good healthy choices, you would have to have 3/4 people running for each position. This is an active membership of 45- 60 members. Moreover, not everyone is the office holding type and would rather vote for someone else, so the viable number could even be higher. If the CdeC was created during its decision- making period, then the numbers may have been that high or higher. However, once it lost its powers, the CdeC should had been reduced to fit the current level of activeness. Of course, this is what was done.... eventually!

Blog Entries

I guess that could be a fair argument. However,....
    If you consider the 12 members, plus Curator, plus 2 magistrates, then that would be total of 15 elected people by the Curator.
    In order to have a good healthy choices, you would have to have 3/4 people running for each position. This is an active membership of 45- 60 members. Moreover, not everyone is the office holding type and would rather vote for someone else, so the viable number could even be higher. If the CdeC was created during its decision- making period, then the numbers may have been that high or higher. However, once it lost its powers, the CdeC should had been reduced to fit the current level of activeness. Of course, this is what was done.... eventually!
    What powers of the CdeC do you speak of? The CdeC never had any other function/power than those it had when it was abolished: disciplinary cases, citizenship applications and Divus proposals.

There have not been any other functions/powers, so I'm a bit irritated to what you're referring to.

Also, what decision making period are you referring to and what would the CdeC have to do with that? If you mean hight of curial legislative activity - especially before and after the imb take-over - then that wasn't a CdeC decision making period, but all about curial legislative activity.

With regards to the numbers, we easily had that in '12 and early 13. I'm not sure why it changed during the course of the year 2013 since I was absent. However, I remember having evaluated the CdeC, Magistrate and Curator elections of '12 in a proposal about councilor term restrictions in July or August '12 (I would have to look that one up - or you can if you're interested in, it should be in the proth archive), because then the argument was made that only "old farts" would get relected - which I prooved wasn't true. In those days we had a lot of freshman councillors and we had a lot of applicants per election/seat and quite a reasonable voting participation too.

All in all, I don't know what your point is and what you're referring to.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

While there were many who served honourably there were many who used and manipulated the CdeC. The blame for it's demise and demonization lies there, not with people who criticised it without serving.

I never liked the CdeC and criticised it often. Just as I've never liked this thread and have never posted in it until today, it gives the wrong impression of the curia.

Edit - Or maybe it doesn't..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM.

What powers of the CdeC do you speak of? The CdeC never had any other function/power than those it had when it was abolished: disciplinary cases, citizenship applications and Divus proposals.

Also, what decision making period are you referring to and what would the CdeC have to do with that? If you mean hight of curial legislative activity - especially before and after the imb take-over - then that wasn't a CdeC decision making period, but all about curial legislative activity.
    I was referring to the Curia at the time of the CdeC was created. That is IF the Curia was more active (guessing when it had more decision making abilities) THEN it may have the requisite number of active participating citizens to warrant a 12 member board.

There have not been any other functions/powers, so I'm a bit irritated to what you're referring to.
    Sounds like someone needs to switch to decaf

With regards to the numbers, we easily had that in '12 and early 13. I'm not sure why it changed during the course of the year 2013 since I was absent. However, I remember having evaluated the CdeC, Magistrate and Curator elections of '12 in a proposal about councilor term restrictions in July or August '12 (I would have to look that one up - or you can if you're interested in, it should be in the proth archive),..../
    There was never a time since I have been a member where I noticed 60 or even 45 citizens participating in elections! In fact, it was one of the first things I noticed about the Curia

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    ..... Just as I've never liked this thread and have never posted in it until today, it gives the wrong impression of the curia.

Edit - Or maybe it doesn't..
    I agree! It should/ought to be renamed Citizens Chat Thread.

Blog Entries

I was referring to the Curia at the time of the CdeC was created. That is IF the Curia was more active (guessing when it had more decision making abilities) THEN it may have the requisite number of active participating citizens to warrant a 12 member board.
    Now I see what you're saying, but I disagree with the correlation you're drawing.

There was never a time since I have been a member where I noticed 60 or even 45 citizens participating in elections! In fact, it was one of the first things I noticed about the Curia
    A member of what, the Curia? That can be true. Of the site? Then your perception failed you, just a random sample from '12:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...on-V-2012-CdeC
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Major-Darling)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mloze-robinzx)

Now I see what you're saying, but I disagree with the correlation you're drawing.

A member of what, the Curia? That can be true. Of the site? Then your perception failed you, just a random sample from '12:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...on-V-2012-CdeC
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Major-Darling)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mloze-robinzx)
    the 45- 60 is the absolute minimal number of votes would take to support a 12 member group (more precisely 15 elected positions).
    I could show you the data I have from 2011, 2012 and 2013 if you like....
    There was a correlation between the number of votes and the number of candidates. The magic number for more than 6 candidates (for three positions) were the upper 50s. I only seen candidate number of 8 or more when the vote total were greater than 60.

Before when I considered 45-60 as the minimal, I was thinking theoretically. It would take a very active Curia to make it work. In this type of forum above 60 would be best. If at the start the Curia had 60+ votes, then 12 would had been reasonably thought to be ok. I personally, would had voted against such a large number with that many votes. One factor is the number of elections that resulted with such a high number as well.

Blog Entries

the 45- 60 is the absolute minimal number of votes would take to support a 12 member group (more precisely 15 elected positions).
    There was a correlation between the number of votes and the number of candidates. The magic number for more than 6 candidates (for three positions) were the upper 50s. I only seen candidate number of 8 or more when the vote total were greater than 60.
    So? Is there anything you want to say with that other than shifting the goal posts from "There was never a time since I have been a member where I noticed 60 or even 45 citizens participating in elections!" to the above?

I suggets to simply admit that your perception and statement were wrong and move on, instead of trying to weasel out of it.

Before when I considered 45-60 as the minimal, I was thinking theoretically. It would take a very active Curia to make it work. In this type of forum above 60 would be best. If at the start the Curia had 60+ votes, then 12 would had been reasonably thought to be ok. I personally, would had voted against such a large number with that many votes. One factor is the number of elections that resulted with such a high number as well.
    Do you know the history of the institution called CdeC and how it arrived at 12 members?

However, the point you seemingly are trying to make, that in order to support a certain number of offices an institution would need a certain number of participants is, of course, obvious. Other than that, did you have any other point?

So? Is there anything you want to say with that other than shifting the goal posts from "There was never a time since I have been a member where I noticed 60 or even 45 citizens participating in elections!" to the above?
    I suggets to simply admit that your perception and statement were wrong and move on, instead of trying to weasel out of it.

However, the point you seemingly are trying to make, that in order to support a certain number of offices an institution would need a certain number of participants is, of course, obvious. Other than that, did you have any other point?

Why must you turn this into a nasty discussion?
    This was my original statement
    In order to have a good healthy choices, you would have to have 3/4 people running for each position. This is an active membership of 45- 60 members. Moreover, not everyone is the office holding type and would rather vote for someone else, so the viable number could even be higher.
    Later I wrote this
    I did mispoke when I said 45. Since my original analysis was investigating the number of candidates the number of votes were from memory. Thayt being said, the average candidates were 6 in that time period; far below necessary for alternatives or choices. Anyway, thee is no goal post here. The hypothesis still fits the data I have collected; anything less than 60, and the Curia cannot support 15 elected positions.

When I submitted the anlysis during the CdeC removal debate, I found within a calendar year there was only 25 different members. In many cases, even when there were 6 or more candidates, all of them were incumbent or former members of the CdeC.

Do you know the history of the institution called CdeC and how it arrived at 12 members?
    No. it is relevant. The knowledge would purely be academic.

Blog Entries

Why must you turn this into a nasty discussion?

This was my original statement

Later I wrote this

I did mispoke when I said 45. Since my original analysis was investigating the number of candidates the number of votes were from memory. Thayt being said, the average candidates were 6 in that time period; far below necessary for alternatives or choices. Anyway, thee is no goal post here. The hypothesis still fits the data I have collected; anything less than 60, and the Curia cannot support 15 elected positions.
    So I got you right and all you wanted to say was basically that:
    However, the point you seemingly are trying to make, that in order to support a certain number of offices an institution would need a certain number of participants is, of course, obvious.
    When I submitted the anlysis during the CdeC removal debate, I found within a calendar year there was only 25 different members. In many cases, even when there were 6 or more candidates, all of them were incumbent or former members of the CdeC.
    Which was not the case during my active year in the CdeC just before the calendar year you used for your research I suppose. When I looked at the election data from August '11 to August '12 there were 17 freshman councillors alone and in the first half of '12 there were 23 different citizens serving as councillor (while the entire year before there were 43 different citizens as councillors in the CdeC). However, what are we actually arguing about? I sort of lost the idea why we're throwing those figures at each other to be honest.

No. it is relevant. The knowledge would purely be academic.
    Come again please.

So I got you right and all you wanted to say was basically that:

Which was not the case during my active year in the CdeC just before the calendar year you used for your research I suppose. When I looked at the election data from August '11 to August '12 there were 17 freshman councillors alone and in the first half of '12 there were 23 different citizens serving as councillor (while the entire year before there were 43 different citizens as councillors in the CdeC). However, what are we actually arguing about? I sort of lost the idea why we're throwing those figures at each other to be honest.

Come again please.
    I am not arguing about anything. I am just sharing what I have learned.
    I didn't choose the dates at random; the data used were one calendar year from the point of discussion. Unless, you want to bother to give a reason to include a longer time span. It still seems like a reasonable time period given the nature of the website. I did leave the discussion with an open question on what is the average life span for someone active in the Curia. I felt at the time and still felt the research would be exhaustive and not bear any real tangible evidence worth noting.

Blog Entries

I am not arguing about anything. I am just sharing what I have learned.
    Then the mistake is all mine, since I thought you'd be arguing something. My apologies, Pike.

I didn't choose the dates at random; the data used were one calendar year from the point of discussion. Unless, you want to bother to give a reason to include a longer time span. It still seems like a reasonable time period given the nature of the website. I did leave the discussion with an open question on what is the average life span for someone active in the Curia. I felt at the time and still felt the research would be exhaustive and not bear any real tangible evidence worth noting.
    I see. Yeah I used the very same method of how to collect the data in a discussion in August '12, probably for the same reasons as you did; it seems a fair amount of time to collect data from in order to use the data for interpreting reasons of recent circumstances - obvioulsy such figures are open to a variety of interpretations and hence any correlation one likes to establish needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but I guess that's understood.

Anybody seen/heard from StealthFox lately? I know stealth is his middle name..
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I think he's away for some reason, or just supremely busy.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!