Page 2 of 228 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elitist Chat Thread

Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I just hope engineering books aren't that expensive.
    *stifles a laugh* I guess it depends. But generally my engineerings friends pay a lot more.

Civitate

****!

At least I get pretty much free university education. Ner ner ner-ner ner!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I don't know about engineering, but only for my own, personal studies, this month I have spent Euros 1200 in books.

Books cost more than gold, sometimes!

Civitate

You must be filthy rich to be able to spend that much money on books. How long will it take you to read them all? Some titles?

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    1 of: Random Graph Dynamics (Cambridge Series in Statistical and Probabilistic Mathematics)
    Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
    1 of: From Neuron to Brain: A Cellular and Molecular Approach to the Function of the Nervous System, Fourth Edition
    1 of: Psychoanalysis and Cognitive Science: Multiple Code Theory, A
    1 of: Heinz Kohut: The Chicago Institute Lectures
    1 of: From Molecule to Metaphor: A Neural Theory of Language (Bradford Books)
    1 of: The Foundations of Psychoanalysis: A Philosophical Critique (Pittsburgh Series in Philosophy and History of Science)
    1 of: Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
    1 of: Science, Systems, and Psychoanalysis
    1 of: Archetypal Dimensions of the Psyche
    1 of: Schizophrenia and Primitive Mental States: Structural Collapse and Creativity...
    1 of: Freud Evaluated: The Completed Arc
    1 of: Freud and the Question of Pseudoscience
    1 of: Why Freud Was Wrong: Sin, Science, and Psychoanalysis
    1 of: Dreams: A Study of the Dreams of Jung, Descartes, Socrates, and Other Historical Figures (C.G. Jung Foundation Book)
    1 of: Psychotherapy
    These are the ones I bought on Amazon. The rest I bought at my local library.

I spend my wages mostly on women and books, and books get the best of it, of course.

As to reading, when I do not work intensely, I try to read 200-300 pages a day. Other times, I have to do with 100.
    Last edited by Ummon; May 01, 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Ugh. Last quarter here at UCLA, I bought about $200-$250 worth of academic goods.

After the quarter, tried to do buyback. Got about $80.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I really don't want to go to university or college. The thought of doing monotonous amounts of work, constantly reading, constantly doing essays...its enough to induce a panic attack! Is there any job or alternative option to going to college for years and years? I've considered the military, but I don't know how well I'll fit in there. Though in Canada it pays quite well.

On a more personal note- not much is going on in my life except for two large essays...and I joined the RTR beta team. Woo. Jealous?

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

I find that even in highschool, it's pretty easy to go on ebay, Amazon, of just a local Half-Priced Books, for those of us in NA to get some cheap textbooks, and even some that are marked up and already highlighted.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

So I was taking a nice walk through the park, when all of a sudden I was assailed by a wretched street urchin begging for alms.

What vile beings.

----------------

Was that elitist enough?

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Hmm, my day is going fine so far. I'm on and off playing Roma Victor (MMORPG). Pretty soon I may swim in my pool.

Hmm, I think I will try to study a little of the Greek and Hebrew languages today, they're just interesting, as well as Latin, which I'm more familiar with.
    Last edited by The Good; May 01, 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

So today I learned what my final exam will be like in my Revoution & Democracy in China class. Get this, we have to write a 4-6 page paper where we will be trying to convince a presidential candidate on what policies to pursue regarding China. What the hell is that?! I'm not in 6th grade anymore, so why am I expected to write such trash. My professor is insane. He is the head of Asian history here at UNT, but his office looks like the Wild West, and he wears boots and a belt buckle. And the buckle has Alice in Wonderland stuff on it! What is wrong with my professor?! I thought he wasn't human until today he said he had a daughter. Anyway, I'm screwed for the final.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    So today I learned what my final exam will be like in my Revoution & Democracy in China class. Get this, we have to write a 4-6 page paper where we will be trying to convince a presidential candidate on what policies to pursue regarding China. What the hell is that?! I'm not in 6th grade anymore, so why am I expected to write such trash. My professor is insane. He is the head of Asian history here at UNT, but his office looks like the Wild West, and he wears boots and a belt buckle. And the buckle has Alice in Wonderland stuff on it! What is wrong with my professor?! I thought he wasn't human until today he said he had a daughter. Anyway, I'm screwed for the final.
    Is he... by any chance an ex-hippie?

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine's signature
    "Life echoes in eternity." Profound quote from Gladiator
    Or a restructured and incomplete quote from the said motion picture?
    Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Is he... by any chance an ex-hippie?
    Hmm...I don't know. He was in China during the 80's I think, to and from.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

My parents are paying for all my Uni textbooks because I'm totally 15 and can't pay for them myself.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

My copy of modern engineering mathematics wasn't too bad. if you have a blackwells (common british rip off uni book shop) they often do a deal where you save a good amount if you buy all your course books in one go. its not worth it in the end though because if you compare the recomended reading list to the books you actually buy and use there is several hundred pounds difference in price.
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

I always thought you could get College book online.

You know download the ebook.

Or is it your advanced engineering degrees don't have books online.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

Bokks's Avatar Thinking outside Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    My parents are paying for all my Uni textbooks because I'm totally 15 and can't pay for them myself.
    You're fifteen and you're going through Sydney University?
    Wow. That actually must be pretty hard, not the school work which of course is pretty easy (most of the time) but fifteen? That's gotta be a huge culture shock. What's Australia's drinking age? I mean, college isn't all about getting hammered perpetually but there still must be a bit of tension if any of your friends want to drop everything and go.

... how are the girls down there? That must be a little strange too, being fifteen and sitting in a class with smoking hot women at or over 20.
    Patronized by Vɛrbalcartɷnist|Great-Great-Grandclient of Crandar
    Thinking Outside the Bokks since 2008...

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Lector V View Post
    You're fifteen and you're going through Sydney University?
    Wow. That actually must be pretty hard, not the school work which of course is pretty easy (most of the time) but fifteen? That's gotta be a huge culture shock. What's Australia's drinking age? I mean, college isn't all about getting hammered perpetually but there still must be a bit of tension if any of your friends want to drop everything and go.

... how are the girls down there? That must be a little strange too, being fifteen and sitting in a class with smoking hot women at or over 20.
    I think the American university/college experience is a bit difference than the rest of the world. Here, those of us who are doing a worthwhile degree at least, certainly do not only go to university for the parties or getting hammered.

Content Emeritus

So you think the American college experience is only about parties and getting hammered? You've been watching too many movies.