Page 1 of 228 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elitist Chat Thread

Default The Elitist Chat Thread

It's like the chat thread, but for us! May it live a long life and not get closed the instant someone with admin here sees it. Maybe if we make the Symposium a place some people check pretty frequently, other (better) topics will follow.

In case you don't know how chat threads work, basically post whatever you want and people chime in if they want to, or completely change the topic. Sometimes intelligent discussions come up. (!!) Well then, I'll begin.

Today I needed money because I was out of food. I went to the bookstore to sell back texts and made around $50. I'm pretty sure those books cost me at least 3 times that.... bookstores make a killing on desperate students, I tells ya

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

Yeah, and every year the publishers put out new versions of the books so that the 2007 book that you got won't be worth nearly as much as you think it should. I hate textbooks. That's why I like classes where the teacher assigns regular books, and then you can buy them online for absurdly cheaper prices compared to the book stores. It's the worst when you buy a massive textbook for about $80 and then when you go to buy it back they give you $5.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

My store had a policy of half-back guarentees on some texts, so you get at least half of the cost back. I managed to get $37 on a book for that reason, so I was happy about that. It was the $2 from each book worth $15 that really got to me. But they know they've got students in a bind, especially towards the end of the semester. I swear I get more from selling books at odd times than from selling them at the busy times.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Thanks to your tax dollars my books are free...

Thus used occassionally for bonfires.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

*shakes fist*

I forgot to mention I needed cash fast, so had to sell some books. Still have a few I reckon I could sell online...

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

I think I'm going to donate my books to Africa, do my good deed of the year and get back at the Student Book Store all in one.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Donate to Africa? For what? So they can have enough material for lightening fires?

"Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

you should donate food to africans, they cant eat your books, unless they boil them in water first until the glue gets nice and soft, but theres no nutrients in there.

This is very unfair. Does nobody else think of the plebs?
    Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

They had their chance at a chat thread, and mucked it up. Down with the bourgeois, up with the proletariot!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    They had their chance at a chat thread, and mucked it up. Down with the bourgeois, up with the proletariot!
    Hey, technically you're also a pleb because you don't bear the badge.

Technically I am Lenin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    Technically I am Lenin.
    That explains the extent of your knowledge related to this subject.

LOLOLOLOL A CHAT THRED TIHS IZ TEH WIN

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Down with the bourgeois, up with the proletariot!
    Hmmm, we are the bourgeois here.

LOLOLOLOL A CHAT THRED TIHS IZ TEH WIN
    You really want to get this closed, don't you?

Today I needed money because I was out of food. I went to the bookstore to sell back texts and made around $50.
    I've had to sell books before, it makes me feel so bad afterwards, I think it's better idea to rob a bank or something if you need the money so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trax View Post
    You really want to get this closed, don't you?
    I honestly don't, even though I can happily go to Ana, because it would be an immense lack of style to **** it up for everyone here. I was just emulating everything that went on in the last chat thread. And I chuckle to myself every time more than 2 smilies are used in a row. Especially identical ones.

Like that sig, somewhere in the Total War forums, where it's like 50 darth vader and luke jedi fighting lightsaber majigga smilies. It just reeks of immaturity (Says I )

Civitate

Finally! A chat thread without the smelly peasants!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Bokks's Avatar Thinking outside Myself

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    you should donate food to africans, they cant eat your books, unless they boil them in water first until the glue gets nice and soft, but theres no nutrients in there.
    No nutrients? Pshaw, there's plenty of fiber in there!
    ... and arsenic. Sometimes.

Anyway, I haven't actually sold my books back yet, at all. I never read them during the actual class, so I figure in 4 1/2 years when the Rapture happens and little demons are sticking me in the bum I can get a little smarter by reading the material I was supposed to five years before.

... or I'll be sitting in my bunker for ten years waiting for a rapture that will never happen. Either way I wager I'll be super intelligent by the end of it!
    Patronized by Vɛrbalcartɷnist|Great-Great-Grandclient of Crandar
    Thinking Outside the Bokks since 2008...

Civitate

I just hope engineering books aren't that expensive.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

My dad has said he will pay for books next year so I shouldn't need to sell them back.

Its nice to have a chat thread that the plebs can't ruin (I mean one that isn't mason run and doesn't contain discussion on how people shave their balls).
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite