Page 212 of 213 FirstFirst ... 112 162 187 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 4254

Thread: The Elitist Chat Thread

  1. #4221
    Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Director Citizen

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nehekhara
    Posts
    13,316

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Well we have forests, mountains, seaside, castles, places, the largest building in europe, dracula, bears, and a massive delta.
    Under the patronage of Squid Girl. I am here, click me!



  2. #4222
    General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Citizen Gaming Staff Censor

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of The Netherlands
    Posts
    11,311
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    It is not out of the question. It is convincing my wife that there is something there she wants to see. She is very frugal, so cheap is a strong selling point.
    I would get along with your wife very well then

  3. #4223
    Flinn's Avatar Dude-O!
    Content Director Citizen

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    7,601

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    yup he is really lucky, man! frugal women are a rarity today

    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 of the Imperial House of Hader.


  4. #4224
    ♔atthias♔'s Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the netherlands
    Posts
    3,145

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I would get along with your wife very well then
    the typical frugal dutchmen

    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    yup he is really lucky, man! frugal women are a rarity today
    yeah true even amongst the so called frugal dutchmen
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

    If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

    Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

  5. #4225
    ♔PikeStance♔'s Avatar ♔ Dilly Dilly ♔
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Global Citizen
    Posts
    9,252
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    She is frugal to point. She has been looking for purse for about two years now. If it is what she wants, her frugality disappears. She likes name brand stuff. (e.g. I learned that Coach is not high end). I am not fashion conscious.

  6. #4226
    Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,382

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Interesting,... I just arrived in Berlin enjoying a German prerogative and I noticed more people online that at anytime living in the Far East.
    How is Berlin treating you? I lived there for a short time this Summer, it's a great city. Germans are very underrated, great people. The only problem for me was Germany seems quite technologically backward compared to the UK, they don't have electronic transport cards like London's Oyster card, and many places only accept cash payments, and the bureaucracy of the government and large corporations is very cumbersome, for example I had to write an email in German to DB to cancel a railcard I bought. In the UK you can do that just by clicking a link. And apparently I'm lucky that they do email as many government services and other large companies still expect you to communicate with them via letter and fax. And I didn't see contactless payment available anywhere. Also most trains didn't seem to have free WiFi. All in all it was like going back to the year 2000.

    And as you say above a lot of Germans don't speak English. Didn't bother me too much though as it avoided the problem of Europeans speaking to you only in English and not letting you practice their language so I learned a lot of Deutsch.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; August 26, 2017 at 05:45 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

    A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

  7. #4227
    ♔PikeStance♔'s Avatar ♔ Dilly Dilly ♔
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Global Citizen
    Posts
    9,252
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Yeah,

    The school's admin sort of makes fun of themselves about the archaic system. One thing I noticed is that not every business has wifi either. In In Indonesia everywhere you went (coffee shop, bars, restaurants) all have wifi. One weird thing is the school asked me to bring an extra contract of my contract when I come to Berlin. I thought that was a bit strange. Anyway, when I arrived they said they will make a copy for us. I was ok, that is good. So, she gives me the contract and says I needed to give it to the person handling the visa. Well, she was standing right beside me, so I said, "just hand it too her." Well, she gave a lecture on how strict German law. She is cannot legally give it to her. She has to give to me and then I have to give it to the visa person. I felt like I was in a Monty Python skit. Anyway, Dubai is much more advance in their use of technology than Germany. In some ways. China is more as well, but they have their love affair with the stamp.

    The advantage of living in Germany is grocery shopping. I no longer have to go the "Western" section of the store to buy overpriced western things. The downside is German Restaurants are very pricey. There are more Vietnamese restaurants than you shake a stick at.

    I lived in enough different countries to learn to expect the unexpected.

  8. #4228
    lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Moderation Overseer Citizen

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Heerlen, Limburg
    Posts
    12,063

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    German restaurants are expensive? What are you comparing them with, Indonesia? Restaurants in central Berlin might be more expensive but German restaurants are in general really cheap when compared to for example the Netherlands, France, Scandinavia. The culture here is that you don't go eating out every other day or so, unless you are filthy rich.

  9. #4229
    ♔PikeStance♔'s Avatar ♔ Dilly Dilly ♔
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Global Citizen
    Posts
    9,252
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    I am comparing to other ethnic restaurants within the walking geographical areas of my home. The average dinner is about 4-5 euros more than other restaurants. Typical German restaurants the meals cost about 15- 20+ while other restaurants would be 5-10 euros cheaper. I attributed the price difference to German would normally eat German food at home, so when they go to eat German food, they are expecting a higher quality. This isn't me saying this, but the Germans I work with (price). There is also very few. There is one in easy walking distance and another about 20-25 minute walk away. There are three Indian restaurants, at least two Greek, and several Vietnamese and Italian restaurants. I am told (co-workers) if I want German food to go out of Central Berlin. I am told they are also more "affordable."

    The general prices of food are consistent with the US. he prices are slightly higher, but the expected tip is lower than in the US.

  10. #4230
    Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,382

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I am comparing to other ethnic restaurants within the walking geographical areas of my home. The average dinner is about 4-5 euros more than other restaurants. Typical German restaurants the meals cost about 15- 20+ while other restaurants would be 5-10 euros cheaper. I attributed the price difference to German would normally eat German food at home, so when they go to eat German food, they are expecting a higher quality. This isn't me saying this, but the Germans I work with (price). There is also very few. There is one in easy walking distance and another about 20-25 minute walk away. There are three Indian restaurants, at least two Greek, and several Vietnamese and Italian restaurants. I am told (co-workers) if I want German food to go out of Central Berlin. I am told they are also more "affordable."

    The general prices of food are consistent with the US. he prices are slightly higher, but the expected tip is lower than in the US.
    Right. I find Berlin very similar to London in that regard, the vast majority of restaurants are Asian or Southern European, plus the ubiquitous Turkish places. The German food in central Berlin is horrendously overpriced and strictly for the tourists. A big difference in Germany is they don't really seem to have fast food places that aren't Turkish or American, no equivalent to the British chip shop.

    Frankly when I go out to a British restaurant in the UK, the food is totally different to what I get at home, all rare local ingredients and new twists on traditional seafood and meat dishes. I don't know if there's such a thing as a mid-range British restaurant, you either have fish and chip joints or haute cuisine restaurants whose menus are filled with words like 'quinelle' and 'jus' and 'ganache'. Not much in between outside of rural areas. Even the average British gastropub tends to serve as many Italian and American dishes as British ones. I was pleasantly surprised by German pubs though, for some reason I thought only the UK had proper pubs and other places just had bars or beer halls, but there are some great German pubs (albeit I only really found them outside of Berlin). A big difference is that many German pubs do table service for alcohol, so they just keep coming round and refilling your glass with beer until you ask them to stop.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; August 27, 2017 at 10:14 AM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

    A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

  11. #4231
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    4,403

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Right. I find Berlin very similar to London in that regard, the vast majority of restaurants are Asian or Southern European, plus the ubiquitous Turkish places. The German food in central Berlin is horrendously overpriced and strictly for the tourists. A big difference in Germany is they don't really seem to have fast food places that aren't Turkish or American, no equivalent to the British chip shop.

    Frankly when I go out to a British restaurant in the UK, the food is totally different to what I get at home, all rare local ingredients and new twists on traditional seafood and meat dishes. I don't know if there's such a thing as a mid-range British restaurant, you either have fish and chip joints or haute cuisine restaurants whose menus are filled with words like 'quinelle' and 'jus' and 'ganache'. Not much in between outside of rural areas. Even the average British gastropub tends to serve as many Italian and American dishes as British ones. I was pleasantly surprised by German pubs though, for some reason I thought only the UK had proper pubs and other places just had bars or beer halls, but there are some great German pubs (albeit I only really found them outside of Berlin). A big difference is that many German pubs do table service for alcohol, so they just keep coming round and refilling your glass with beer until you ask them to stop.
    That's not so much an actual pub as a "brewhouse" (Brauhaus), a type of... pub (in lack of a better word) that developed from the sales rooms attached to breweries. You usually get the local beer there, with glasses being refilled until you place a beer mat/coaster on top of it and they tend to serve traditional food of the more hearty variety (soups, Schnitzel, Haxn, lots of potato stuff). Those are actually my favourite type of restaurant. If you ever come to Cologne, give me a ring and I'll give you a tour

    Berlin may not have so many of those, because Berlin is notoriously too hip for this type of traditional thing. They are also way too young to have any proper traditions (only 750 years).
    Last edited by Iskar; August 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

    Secrecy is cowardice! Curia e popolo! гласность!

    Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.


    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

  12. #4232
    Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,382

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    That's not so much an actual pub as a "brewhouse" (Brauhaus), a type of... pub (in lack of a better word) that developed from the sales rooms attached to breweries. You usually get the local beer there, with glasses being refilled until you place a beer mat/coaster on top of it and they tend to serve traditional food of the more hearty variety (soups, Schnitzel, Haxn, lots of potato stuff). Those are actually my favourite type of restaurant. If you ever come to Cologne, give me a ring and I'll give you a tour

    Berlin may not have so many of those, because Berlin is notoriously too hip for this type of traditional thing. They are also way too young to have any proper traditions (only 750 years).
    The place I was in was a smallish establishment with a dark wood-panelled interior, a lot of football memorabilia and other assorted curiosities on shelves, and lots of the local beer, and also a large TV screen for watching football. I call that a pub . It may also have served food but I don't remember. It's pretty much the same as a British pub as far as I could see, except it had outdoor seating. This actually wasn't in Berlin, it was in Dortmund, I stopped off there on the way to Berlin to visit a friend. I made it as far as Duesseldorf but not Cologne unfortunately, I would love to get to Cologne at some point. I don't even know how pubs in the UK developed, my local in Scotland (Scotland's best pub, incidentally) is old enough to have been a travellers' inn but then you had the Victorian Public House which was a later development.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

    A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

  13. #4233
    ♔PikeStance♔'s Avatar ♔ Dilly Dilly ♔
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Global Citizen
    Posts
    9,252
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    I have to see or go to a Brauhaus. I did go to a "Beer Garden." The "bunting" suggested a Bavarian style place. The menu also seemed heavily Bavarian.
    Most of the "bars" I have gone to do not serve any type of food even the one's that have a "pub" feel to them. The "bar" I went to the other night show all of the Hertha matches, but it looks and feels like a British pub. It doesn't market itself a sa "sports bar" but it shows sporting events all the time. Then again, maybe it does and I just don't realize it. LOL

  14. #4234
    ♔PikeStance♔'s Avatar ♔ Dilly Dilly ♔
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Global Citizen
    Posts
    9,252
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    Ok, so Last week was the first week with my new students. I generally, chat about myself and try to get to know them as well. To make a long story short, A female German student said something that took me back. She more or less said Germans are bad because of Adolf Hitler. So, I pressed her, "why are you letting one person define your culture, history and nationality?" She basically said, "that's what people think of when they think about Germany. I fired back, " this isn't true, and I names a number of philosophers, composers, inventors and historical figures who many people depending on their interest would think of first.

    As I said I was a little taken back. I can recall when i first moved to China I expected I might have to "pump up the Chinese" about their culture. I was dead wrong then as well. They proved to be quite arrogant. That being said, I would hope most Germans do not share this point of view. I am curious to hear from German members about this. (I should note that particular class had a larger percentage of German students than my other classes, but none of them said anything; could be dismissive or in agreement, idk)

  15. #4235

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    It's not surprising really, in either respect.

    I miss the duffers.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 09, 2017 at 10:08 PM.

    New TWC University Course
    American Constitutional Law for Beginners


  16. #4236

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    In the spirit of elitism I must ask, don't I get a special award for reaching my 10th Registration Birthday? I need additional ways to lord my internet prowess over lesser users of inferior no-lifelessness.

    New TWC University Course
    American Constitutional Law for Beginners


  17. #4237
    ♔PikeStance♔'s Avatar ♔ Dilly Dilly ♔
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Global Citizen
    Posts
    9,252
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    I believe you have to PM the admin and make a request.

  18. #4238
    Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderation Overseer Citizen Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    18,556

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    We check every so often-it is a better use of hex time to deal with a number of members at once rather than individually as and when. As things stand, the next group will be you and a few others.

  19. #4239
    General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Citizen Gaming Staff Censor

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of The Netherlands
    Posts
    11,311
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    I won't complain if you slap one on me as well Tango

  20. #4240

    Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

    I demand my internet medals immediately!

    (prepare for a senior rant)

    Sonny listen up, I've been on this site since you were figuring out what your dick was for. I've seen Manstein forumban half of eastern Europe by accident as well as three forum buyouts. I was here when the Serbians, Kurds, and Romanians wanted to slit eachother's cyber throats and what's worse, I had to moderate the entire thing. I've been cursed more times in Serbian, Albanian, Macedonian, and regular old English than you will be in a lifetime! I was the muddiest mudpit moderator who ever dove headfirst into the mud. At the same time I was escaping this pain by pretending to be a Roman senator for ten years. When I got bored of all that I spent several years scouring the forum looking for and publishing things the site needed or wanted - I battled Prince of Macedon and English Nobility at the same time, losing and winning battles in the most unexpected ways possible, all of which became public for consumption and entertainment. I decided that wasnn't enough involvement here and grabbed a hand on the wheel of the Curia, exerting influence in who I thought should be here and arguing against those who shouldn't - I was so ing difficult I got Halie to resign his citizenship for several years. I presided, personally, over the downfall of prominent members who were otherwise sexual predators, serial offenders, or people I did not like, including myself.

    I'm the ing lizard King.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; December 10, 2017 at 07:50 PM.

    New TWC University Course
    American Constitutional Law for Beginners


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •