Thread: Fuzz's Song Review Emporium

Default Fuzz's Song Review Emporium

FUZZY REVIEWS

I like writing reviews but doing whole album reviews can be tiresome. As such, this topic will hold the song reviews I do every so often. Hope you find some good music from this. I'll try to include links to where you can legally download the song and a youtube video when I can. Expect a wide variety of music...

ANY AND ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME!

LINKS TO REVIEWS
    Positive Tension (Bloc Party)
    The Past Is A Grotesque Animal (of Montreal)
    (others coming soon...)
    Last edited by zznɟ ǝɥʇ; April 30, 2008 at 08:08 PM.

Default Re: Fuzz's Song Review Emporium

Song: Positive Tension
    Length: 3:55
    Artist: Bloc Party
    Album: Silent Alarm

This song is an under-appreciated gem off Bloc Party's Silent Alarm. It's about (as far as I can tell) the quest for fame these days and how it's all about exposure and getting out there, regardless of talent. The lines She said I'm going use my teeth and my claws / She said I'm going use my teeth and my breasts / I'm gonna make it happen / She said certainly back up this view. It's a pretty critical view of the quest for fame. Eventually the song quiets down to describing when the 15 minutes of fame is over with Why'd you have to get so hysterical? / Success, success, success is over / Why'd you have to get / So ****ing useless. (As I sidenote, when I first heard this song ages ago, I thought it was about a girl trying to get someone to cum )

Musically, the track is suberb. This track's strength comes from how fierce it sounds. The singing is puntuated by heavy drums, then cut off by guitar, then the three combine, each seemingly trying to drown out the other. The beginning of the song is very uneven, to punctuate the different elements, but as the track goes on, the bits merge somewhat. The different sound threw me off at first, but as time went on it became my favorite track on the album.

9/10 If you're not a Bloc Party fan, you might want to listen to their more popular tracks first, because you might be turned off by the usual sound in this. If you are a Bloc Party fan... you should already like this song. Either way, it's a fine track.

Moved at OP's request.
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

Song: The Past Is a Grotesque Animal
    Length: 11:53
    Artist: of Montreal
    Album: Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

First of all, don't let the long length scare you off. This song is a credit to indie, psychadelic indie, things with electronic stuff in them, and music in general. For those unfamiliar with of Montreal, they're usually reall upbeat, with happy little effects thrown in between lyrics and songs in general are about happy events.

This song is really different from the rest of their tracks. It's not depressing, but it is bitter. Combine that with of Montreal's unique sound and you have a very good track. The song reminds me of the life view of someone that just ended a relationship in a particularly bad way, especially with the line Sometimes I wonder if you're mythologizing me like I do you. The song should appeal to anyone that's ever broken up with someone. The lyrics are so applicable:

The past is a grotesque animal
    And in its eyes you see
    How completely wrong you can be
    How completely wrong you can be

The sun is out, it melts the snow that fell yesterday
    Makes you wonder why it bothered

and

Do I have to scream in your face?
    I've been dodging lamps and vegetables
    Throw it all in my face, I don't care

Let's just have some fun
    Let's tear this **** apart
    Let's tear the ****ing house apart
    Let's tear our ****ing bodies apart
    But let's just have some fun

Somehow you've red-rovered the gestapo circling my heart
    And nothing can defeat you
    No death, no ugly world

You've lived so brightly
    You've altered everything
    I find myself searching for old selves
    While speeding forward through the plate glass of maturing cells

It's rare the word 'epic' can be used properly, but that's the only way to describe the song. Epic. ****ing epic, if I may. The low tone of the singer's voice, broken up by the rest of the band singing "oooohh" between lines, electronic thingys, and guitar creates a ethereal effect. Perhaps strangest of all, you can dance to this. If you go to a show where they play this, the crowd reaction and movement is all you need to understand this song. The final minutes of just music are bliss.

10/10 The best song of Montreal has produced in their career, and one of the best songs of 2007. Listen to it. I don't care if you don't like the genre. This doesn't fit into genres.

Here's a youtube clip that has about half the song. Ignore the kid's view of the song, it's too literal.