Thread: EAGLE IN THE SNOW

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Default EAGLE IN THE SNOW

has any one ever read Eagle In Snow. I know its not totaly true to history well every unture but its a cool point of view of that time period and a great read if you want to lern about managing a army and seeing the personalyity of all the famous people in that time period. I have reawd it many many times

though its not true to hiostory i rate it a three of thoughs guys.

if any one would read i thought you guys did two
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Default Re: EAGLE IN THE SNOW

I just finished reading it last night and I was to open a thread to talk about it. Yes, the book is good and the story very enjoyable. It has certain errors in terms of the correct military structure of the time(the idea of a 6000-men legion, division of it in centuries, cohorts and alae for the cavalry, and things like that) but that didin't affect the good time it provided me. I recommend it to anyone interested in reading something that will make you want to play an ib campaign after a couple hours reading it.

Very good book. Some of the frontier legions (Limitanei) were at 5000 soldiers in the Vth century.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

I also have read the book and found it very desriptive of the time and place. Yes there are inaccuracies in detail but I love the feel and impending doom of the time. A man for his time but also now out of his time, if you know what I mean.

It captures the thoughts and feelings of the men involved really well. I think it's a classic of its genre.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

I first read it when I was about 12 and it started my obsession about the Roman empire - then I forgot all about it while still loving the Roman empire - and then re-discovered it last year and realised why I loved the Roman empire and fell in love with the Roman empire all over again. A tale of heroic but understated men in a dying age - I think, to be honest, this book stands behind my AARs like a distant dim echo . . .

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    I first read it when I was about 12 and it started my obsession about the Roman empire - then I forgot all about it while still loving the Roman empire - and then re-discovered it last year and realised why I loved the Roman empire and fell in love with the Roman empire all over again. A tale of heroic but understated men in a dying age - I think, to be honest, this book stands behind my AARs like a distant dim echo . . .

thats funny i got that book at 15 and I went from sparta to the fall of rome.

you know it would be cool and fun to read if there was a way you could do an AAR about him or somthing. then agian it would be kinda hard to do hmmmm i think right?
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

I've got a beautiful copy of it when it came out as a reprint after the 'Gladiator' hype. Excellent book with great to-the-point prose. I can't recommend it enough.
    I have a suspicion that Scott used this for themes in Gladiator...