Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Medieval movies

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Medieval movies

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes33 View Post
    Hehe indeed, great film. Come to think of it though, I can't think of ANY films (or stage plays) where Mr Blessed DIDN'T go nuts? It's what he does best, I suppose, hehe.
    Well he didn't in Much Ado About Nothing...which is kinda just as well

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

There are always some awesome "foreign" medieval movies nominated for Academy Awards every year but I always keep forgetting to tivo that part so I could write down the names.

there is one called "ARN" that i realy want to see, but its from sweden or something and isnt in canada yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837106/

i think there is going to be a part 2 aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
    check out Aguirre der zorn gottes and the 2009 King Conqueror(cheese title) will come
    King Conqueror will be released at 2009 and will have a great cast: Jude Law as King Jaume I the Conqueror and Tim Roth as his father, King Pere I the Catholic, hero of the batte of Las Navas de Tolosa against the moors, among other I can't remember and some Spanish actors.

There is also Tirant lo Blanc, about a knight who travels to Constantinople to save Byzantium from the Turks. It is based in a 15th Century novel by Joanot Martorell. The novel even appears in Miguel de Cervantes' Don Quijote de la Mancha, where it is said to be the best of all chivalry novels.

The movie is... well, is not as good as I'd liked.

And indeed, Orlando Bloom is the worst of Kingdom of Heaven. But the movie has great FX, vestuary and atrezzo.

Flesh & Blood is one of the first "Low Middle Ages" movies. It is a good film, directed by Paul Verhoeven, who also directed The Hollow Man, Starship Troopers, Showgirls, Robocop, The Black Book, Basic Instinct and Total Recall.
    "Déu és beure bé, menjar fresc i llevar-se a les deu"
    (God is to drink well, to eat fresh and to wake up at ten)
    ------ from the Catalan "Inquisition Trials Archive"

Cèsar de Quart
    Europe 1200 Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cultist View Post
    i think the japanese have some good ones on samurais,never saw one tho
    I just watched Kurosawa's Seven Samurai yesterday and it is awesome.

Just make sure you clear about four hours from your schedule.

Oh, I forgot The Thirteenth Warrior, starring Antonio Banderas as Ahmed ibn Fahalan, a historical arab ambassador, voyager and writer who wrote the story if his trips across the north and the Middle East.

If you are interested, by the way, in some good travel books, there was an arab traveller, Ibn Battuta, who traveled across the known world (from Morocco to China, and through Mali, Egypt, Cordoba, Constantinople, India, etc). Hir book is very interesting.
    "Déu és beure bé, menjar fresc i llevar-se a les deu"
    (God is to drink well, to eat fresh and to wake up at ten)
    ------ from the Catalan "Inquisition Trials Archive"

Cèsar de Quart
    Europe 1200 Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogn View Post
    there is one called "ARN" that i realy want to see, but its from sweden or something and isnt in canada yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837106/

i think there is going to be a part 2 aswell.
    Ye, it will be a part 2 also

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes33 View Post
    Thanks for the Aleksandr Nevskiy recommendation! I haven't seen that one yet.
    Just a FYI, the film can be watched in its entirety on video.google.com, available from Mosfilm (also featuring a few other vids incl. a homemade film of the Hagia Sophia). Since the film is 70 years old, I believe it is in the public domain (if that even applied to this Soviet propaganda film) but I will neglect from direct linking in the event that this is not the case.

The film directly inspired a scene from another movie (of poorer quality IMO) which could be mentioned in the context of this thread: the battle on the ice in 2004's King Arthur.

As an aside, Prokofiev's soundtrack to "Alexander Nevsky" is very appropriate listening for M2TW.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Robin Hood, prince of thieves.

An entertaining movie, nothing overly epic but alright to watch with the family.

Robin Hood, men in tights. Funny, a shame I never saw it completely. Only the second half of it.

First Knight, starring Richard Gere as Lancelot and Sean Connery as King Arthur. Focuses mostly on a lovestory, but has some good battles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by s0meguy View Post
    are you kidding me, that movie made me cry. I laughed for a week on-end when one of those guys shot an arrow over the city's wall and hit some guy standing there intentionally or something lol. I mean its not even the average hollywood crap, its a wannabe average hollywood crap movie. At least that's how I remember it, I saw it a loong time ago.
    You know what, you are right.

It was shocking.

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by ConquerAll View Post
    Just a FYI, the film can be watched in its entirety on video.google.com, available from Mosfilm (also featuring a few other vids incl. a homemade film of the Hagia Sophia). Since the film is 70 years old, I believe it is in the public domain (if that even applied to this Soviet propaganda film) but I will neglect from direct linking in the event that this is not the case.

The film directly inspired a scene from another movie (of poorer quality IMO) which could be mentioned in the context of this thread: the battle on the ice in 2004's King Arthur.

As an aside, Prokofiev's soundtrack to "Alexander Nevsky" is very appropriate listening for M2TW.
    Could you please post a link to the whole movie? I've been searching on Google vids and on Youtube but didn't find it...

This weekend I lost 3 hours of my life watching Kingdom of Heaven and i cant get them back

Quote Originally Posted by szelbisz View Post
    This weekend I lost 3 hours of my life watching Kingdom of Heaven and i cant get them back
    and? The movie isnt for history lesson... Just for entertainment

Well i to must post a movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339266/

It is based upon a novel of one Croat, there isn't much fightning but it displays well the relationship between Croats, Ragusa, Venice and Turks. Btw. it isn't based in medieval times but a little later when Turks stopped their expansion. Good movie non the less.

I think that a high budget movie should be made of the Fall of Constantinople. Final destruction of the Roman Empire in face of new power; the Ottoman Empire. The defenders of Constantinople who number mere thousands facing an army of tens of thousands (80,000 min) if not hundreds of thousands (a figure of 100,000-200,000 is also possible when it comes to size of the Ottoman army) fighting valiantly until the end, the last Roman Emperor - Constantine XI, falling in battle while charging to meet the invaders as the city was breached.

I would really love to see a movie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willor View Post
    and? The movie isnt for history lesson... Just for entertainment
    I wasnt watching it to learn anything (i would never watch a movie, any movie to learn from it, you can see bullsh.. movies even on planette channel so i prefer books to learn from).
    It just wasnt any entertainment for me. It would be probably a lot better if the whole Orlando Bloom thread along with Orlando Bloom got deleted from the movie. Because im sick and tired of all that blacksmith to superhero crap of those great and encouraging prebattle speeches. It made the whole movie look like another hollywood crap (just like Troy, i wont mention 300 because that was entertaining). I had high expectations for this movie (didnt know there was O.B. playing in it) the setting of the movie is great. This topic was not really exploited but filmmakers (im not sure if i ever saw one).
    Last edited by szelbisz; May 05, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

kingdom of heaven director's cut rox

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mafiozo View Post
    Well i to must post a movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339266/

It is based upon a novel of one Croat, there isn't much fightning but it displays well the relationship between Croats, Ragusa, Venice and Turks. Btw. it isn't based in medieval times but a little later when Turks stopped their expansion. Good movie non the less.
    That's exactly why I didn't watch it, I hate the renaissance era, only Rome and Medieval suit me.

Kingdom of heaven just a pop corn movie, no realistic movie

Black_Rider's Avatar Ordinarius

Ridley Scoot is now planning to make film called: "Nottingham" , about Scheriff of Nottingham (with Russell Crowe).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast