Thread: triarii cav bonus

Senator

Default triarii cav bonus

Does the triarii cav bonus apply against elephants? I've heard that eles are considered cav.

Also, does this bonus increase attack, or defense, or how does it work?

I find a lot of people online using triarii to defend against eles, but don't urbans still offer a better value than upgraded triarii even with the cav bonus?

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: triarii cav bonus

Basically, any spear infantry or javelin infantry can deal with elephants quite well.

Slightly off topic, but Triari are a superb unit for their price in low money games, but they are very susceptable to archers

The bonus against cavalry is a +6 on your attack. Triarii are only good against cavalry and urbans are more suited for front line battles, so people send those in the thick of it against enemy infantry.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Decanus

heavy inf gets mashed in seconds on lower money games with ele's. i think its as the ele's have an area attack and that also have AP if i remember correctly. Lighter inf does alot better vs ele's than heavy and spears do a reasonable job if you bog the ele down. I know when i use and ele i will try to use a low micro strat so i can keep my ele moving. On a low money 1 v 1 normal scale i have had ele's kill over 200 men and that was as i kept the unit moving.

Same really applies to chariots, a still chariot is a dead chariot...

Senator

Thanks for the responses. Let's talk about triarii vs cataphracts. I usually play 1v1 at 30k, and when I face cataphract-heavy armies, I don't know if it's worth it to get a few triarii. Though a +6 attack bonus sounds pretty convincing. Thoughts?

Not worth it unless you spam them, triarii don't have a high defence skill, most of their rating comes from the armour. Cataphracts will rip through them, unless you have a lot and surround them. Triarii are far cheaper than catas though so you should be able to get a lot and upgrade them.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.