Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tired of unusable mountain battle maps?

Default Re: Tired of unusable mountain battle maps?

Why are the steppes of the kievan_rus mountanous in the battle maps, but flat on on campaign maps ???

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

It's something to do with the steppe climate I think, as the area of the Steppes is more hilly than any other flat area of the map. I will likely have a god at reducing the hills on 'flat' maps, but not sure how much that will change the steppe maps.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    It's something to do with the steppe climate I think, as the area of the Steppes is more hilly than any other flat area of the map. I will likely have a god at reducing the hills on 'flat' maps, but not sure how much that will change the steppe maps.
    awesome stuff. cant wait for flatter terrain.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Lusted, have you ever taken at look at the vegetation.db and seen if it is possibly editable.

Would love to be able to reduce the huge numbers of frame killing rocks and lessen the amount of weeds so battlemaps can have nice grass and hires trees along with high frame rates.

I tried a little hex editing of the db a while back, the game didn't crash, but got stuck in an infinite loading loop trying to load the file.

I've also actually gotten a new vegetation_db to start compiling through the whole list of models, and then the overlay textures, but run into problems with the distibution_maps, where they go and what data they should contain; veg.txt says they must be 8 x 8 tga's.

Was wondering if the distribution_maps_1,2, etc in the db are the actual tgas that could possibly be extracted and used..

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

Libertus

thank you good job..

Had a go at making the Steppes flatter but to no luck, none of the values seem to ahve muc influence over it. And it's odd because other flat areas of the map appear quite flat on the battlefield. I'm guessing it's probably something to do with the specific climate code stuff later in the file but it's changed too much from Rome for me to be able to locate it. So, no flat steppes I'm afraid.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Does this lovely thing work for other mods?
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Yes it works with all mods as I know of no other mod that edits the descr_geography_new.db file.
    Creator of:

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Had a go at making the Steppes flatter but to no luck, none of the values seem to ahve muc influence over it. And it's odd because other flat areas of the map appear quite flat on the battlefield. I'm guessing it's probably something to do with the specific climate code stuff later in the file but it's changed too much from Rome for me to be able to locate it. So, no flat steppes I'm afraid.

Thanks for trying Lusted. The steppes were referred to as the "breadbasket of europe" , very fertile soil, relatively flat farmland or grassland. On the battlemaps they look like semi-desert, extremely hilly and arid, with lots of cliffs and rocks.

Would reducing the values in the desc_terrain.txt file reduce the relief on the battle maps?

Guinnessmonkey's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    Thanks for trying Lusted. The steppes were referred to as the "breadbasket of europe"
    Were they called that during this period? Breadbaskets come and go... After all, the American Great Plains (now pretty much the breadbasket to much of the world) used to be called the Great American Desert... Personally I'm not sure what the steppe was like before it was parceled out into plots and irrigated, but I have a feeling it looked a lot less fertile back then...

I got to a map that was crazy with the mountain ranges, so I thought of this mod, and it worked great, an actually usable battle map emerged, and I had a great battle, thanks!

Guinnessmonkey's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    I got to a map that was crazy with the mountain ranges, so I thought of this mod, and it worked great, an actually usable battle map emerged, and I had a great battle, thanks!
    Yhea... So far in testing I haven't had to deal with the totally unusuable maps I used to get in Anatolia. Hooray!

Thanks again for making this!

Lusted:

Thanks for this mod. There was nothing more annoying than having two armies just sitting there stuck between impassible terrain on the bettle screen. I haven't had that problem since the download.
    Faction Crown Mod for Stainless Steel 6.1

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lionheart View Post
    Lusted:

Thanks for this mod. There was nothing more annoying than having two armies just sitting there stuck between impassible terrain on the bettle screen. I haven't had that problem since the download.
    Ditto for me, Lusted. Top notch as usual. +rep
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Is this compatible with 6.1?

Indefinitely Banned

It should be compatible with anything. Nobody's really touched the files that Lusted edited.

Ok, and other than the steppes flat ground being "hilly" there's nothing like that right? I mean everything on the campaign map will be fairly correctly portrayed on the battle map?

And this file isn't replacing anything is it? Because I put it in my SS data folder and I didn't have to overwrite anything.
    Last edited by bthizle1; June 01, 2008 at 02:41 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    Ok, and other than the steppes flat ground being "hilly" there's nothing like that right? I mean everything on the campaign map will be fairly correctly portrayed on the battle map?

And this file isn't replacing anything is it? Because I put it in my SS data folder and I didn't have to overwrite anything.
    Yep. Aside from the steppe, it's generally a very good improvement. And yes, it replaces nothing.

Yay, just noticed this, something I've been trying to do ever since M2 was released... Now I don't need to use a flattened campaign map.

Thank you!

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast