Thread: A few questions regarding text folder and sounds

Default A few questions regarding text folder and sounds

So I just got myself xenophonia to have a look at it.

Followed all the instructions (Run BETA2.exe, select no when it wants to run install, copy over the files, run install.bat to the end, let it run M2TW and compile sounds, exit, close install.bat, end - nothing else) and it installed under mods/xenophonia just fine (I think).

Then I deleted all the unnecessary files (installation files and the voice folder).

Then I noticed something odd: In the data\text folder, there were a few files that did not convert into string.bin, namely:

battle_event_subtitles.txt
    pre_battle_speeches_subtitltes.txt

Rerunning xenophonia.exe or putting it into another modfolder to convert netted no success. Are those supposed to stay plain txt files rather than get compiled into string.bin?

Nextly, I combined it with my local test mod that does no changes to sounds. Combined the two just fine without any overwrite prompts or notices.

What I am rather confused about is that my sounds folder now has a lot of rather huge files (only audio.dat and event.dat are contributed to it by xenophonia, the rest is base installation sound files). Can I get rid of any of these and is it correct that xenophonia only created a few tiny (16kb and 1.6mb files) and one large (800mb) audio.dat and one small (8mb) events.dat file?

Thanks in advance.

Might also be useful to have a sticky thread with how each folder should look like (in terms of contents and structure) after installation.

[edit]

Looks like everyone is quiet in game...

[edit2]
    Works fine now. Looks like xenophonia will not run in your normal data folder (with io) even if all the same files are present and already converted properly (i.e. copied into normal data folder from a modfolder installation). Will run fine in a separate mod folder.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; April 27, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
    (M2TW Links outdated, sorry)
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?

Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? This has all you need
    Got low fps in siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this!

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Re: Few questions regarding text folder and sounds

No, those 2 text files don't convert into strings.bin for me either. I don't know why, but they work just fine anyway.

I don't know which huge sound folder you're talking about. There should be 4 files in the xenophonia/data/sounds folder totalling roughly 900 MB and after removing the "voice" folder (and the installation packs) the whole Xenophonia folder is roughly 1.4 GB, because of the data/world folder that's nearly 500 MB large. This world folder is copied from the vanilla data folder and needs to be in every mod folder as far as I know. Xenophonia doesn't change anything in this folder so it should be possible to just read this data straight off the vanilla data folder, but the game's designed to need a world folder in every mod folder for some reason. If anyone could tell me exactly what files need to be in the world folder, I'd gladly reduce its size, but no one seems to know.

And no, Xenophonia will not run from your normal data folder. That's the new feature of Xenophonia 2 - it has its own mod folder. This solves an old problem where people who have Xenophonia installed can't run (some) other mods, but unfortunately also means that anyone who wants to combine Xenophonia with another mod needs a copy of the 900MB audio files in that other mod's folder.
    Last edited by Beiss; April 29, 2008 at 04:41 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri