Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus/Africanus (II)

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus/Africanus

Lucius, we do not need to prove this plan is right. You said something was wrong with it, so prove it! You said it would cost a lot and provided an alternative, we disproved that alternative and showed our proposal cost less than yours. Now it is your turn to come up with something which is wrong with our proposal. Merely saying something's wrong is not enough.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Oh yes they will still be able to recruit elite troops. They have the cities of the old Macedonian kingdom, no doubt greatly advanced by this point. Many of their cities are no doubt advanced.

And I don't have to prove anything more, I have stated my case many many times. The burden of proof, as it says in our joint statement, is upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Jumps to his feet enraged

"Marcus, how dare you claim that I do not value the people? Taking Illyria and even Appolonia will bring wealth to the people as well as give us a base from which to stage an invasion!"

"Not a base... a slaughter house, the Greeks will come in force and slaughter our legions"
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

"Spurius, do you doubt our legion's capabilities? Why do you underestimate the sons of Rome?"

"I am Titus Vedius, military advisor to Spruius Vitruvius... I do NOT underestimate a legion's power. But they will be completely and totally outnumbered if they try to invade Illyria... it is one front... and every Greek army will attack that front..."

Falco remains unmoved by this outburst.

"You say you value the people, so prove it..."
    PLEBEIAN

"whereas with our plan... the Greek army is completely divided... three fronts"
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

"And how would you have me prove it? I hold their best interests close to my heart always. The people are already overtaxed to pay for this war, capturing Appolonia would swell the doffers enought o ease the burden off the people.And yes Spurius, the front is divided, but so are we. I agree, we need to attack Greece on their own soil. Why should our people host the bloodshed on their lands? The attack must be planned and calculated. We simply cannot throw legions at the Greeks ad hoc and hope for the best. It is Rome's young men that will pay the price, not us on our comfy little couches. Will the senators swim in the baths as the lifeblood of Rome's youth runs freely from their veins? "
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 27, 2008 at 06:53 PM.

"So would raiding Greece.... raiding Greece would fill our coffers much much more than Illyria"

Do you think the Plebes in the slums of Rome could care less about an insignificant rock at the very southern edge of Illyria? I think not, but really: what exactly is the problem you have with the Consul's plan, because I have shown it cannot be about the cost in lives of legions, so what do you have against this plan, not what do you have in favour of another plan.
    PLEBEIAN

"For the short term, no doubt raids would give us much needed money. But are we to stoop to the level of the Gauls and other barbarians that rape the land then leave it in ruin? I thought the goal was to liberate the people of Greece and introduce them to Roman values. I will not be a barbarian."

I completly endorse the plan to attack greece and burn it to the ground to weaken the enemies econamy, but the greeks will still stand strong and they will keep on pouring armies to italy, to win this war we must make sacrafises, we must also pour legions in to illyria to win this war. war involvs death and it has always done so I hope the tribunes will come to theyer senses and accept this plan...
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

"We are simply destroying military buildings... which have value... no raping... no pillagin... no looting! I have said that before... we are there to free the people."

Winter's Avatar Civitate

And destroy their ability to train troops for defense against the Greek Empire. The simple act of destroying their barracks is an admission that the Greeks will shortly retake the cities, as what reason could we have to stop the free Greeks from defending themselves?

"Raiding and stealing is not liberation, Consul. I must retire now noble ones, until tomorrow. Should there be any urgent matter of business, please send a message to my estate."

Caius exits the main hall saluting senators on the way out. When he is out of sight he rubs his temples and mounts his horse, riding towards his estate
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 27, 2008 at 07:07 PM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I still strongly believe that Apollonia is the best option. It's quite easily defendable, easily accessible by sea, and so basically, I think that is the best place to make as a base for the operations. Illyria, though is even more accessible at sea, also has a lot larger front to defend. I have seen Titus' map, but I don't think the Greeks will dally long enough in the north for us to finish that conquest before the Greeks strike south.

I doubt the greeks have any intrest in being freed by us.
    what do the greeks want?
    they want rome
    we will NOT GIVE THEM ROME we shall fight and we shall kill all greeks in our way, we must completly and ruthlessly kill all greeks and destroy them once and for all.

there is no point in just taking and leaving, we must burn and kill!
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

That is a vicious and barbarian sentiment, senator Paulus.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

It is well known that most of the Greeks have been forced under the tyranny of Spartan kings. We are here to free them from this tyranny, not to destroy their civilisation. However, if it turns out that they are angry and stubbornly against our liberation, I am afraid that there will be no other alternative but to exterminate them, otherwise they shall rise up again no matter how many buildings we destroy