Thread: Historical battles

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Historical battles

Could their be a possibility that their be extra battles aswell the campain like in MTW 1 which would go great for this type of mod like the battle of Mynydd Hyddgen of owain glyndwr revolt (welsh revolt) just a thought?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Historical battles

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsWarrior
    Could their be a possibility that their be extra battles aswell the campain like in MTW 1 which would go great for this type of mod like the battle of Mynydd Hyddgen of owain glyndwr revolt (welsh revolt) just a thought?
    There might be some added later although not for Owain Glyndwr as his revolt is just too much later than the period of the mod.

Then definitely the battle of Dysert O'Dea. I'd suggest faughart too, but there isn't as much detail. Dysert O'Dea is medieval Irish ambush strategy at its best. Concealed forces, facing an overwhelming force at a ford or a gap, false retreat to bring concealed forces into play, then retreat to a woods in circular (shiltrom) formation, waiting for allies to arrive.
    Last edited by riadach; April 27, 2008 at 08:42 AM.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Kelly DeVries " Infantry Warfare in the Early 14th Century" has information incl sketch maps of following battles:

Loudon Hill, 1307
    Bannockburn, 1314
    Boroughbridge, 1322
    Dupplin Moor 1332
    Halidon Hill, 1333

amongst others including many English / French / Flemish battles.

Recommended if you want discussion on battle tactics for this period.

(I've no experience in doing Historical Battle maps - maybe it's time I started?)

@Rozanov - thanks for that information. I haven't totally decided on custom battles yet although Boroughbridge is one of the ones that would be a good one to do. I have a reasonable amount of info on that campaign and it saw the deaths of some of the characters featured in this Mod.

The battle of Connor in 1315 could be an interesting one. It would involve Scottish forces under Edward Bruce and Gaelic Irish under Donal Ó Neill fighting against the Anglo-Irish and their Gaelic subjects under the Red Earl of Ulster, Richard de Burgh. Not as much info as there is on Dysert O'Dea (McCoy-Hayes gives a great account of that) but enough to make pretty good guesses as to how it progressed.
    Stirling Bridge would probably be a boring fight due to the bridge, and Halidon Hill would suck as you'd just be turning Scottish schiltroms into pin cushions without having any real combat or manoeuvring, but Falkirk or Bannockburn would be great ones!!
    Noli me tangere

@Compsey - To be honest the historical battles will probably end up being produced at a later stage rather than when this mod initially comes out (eventually).

Kamakai's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    (eventually).

The Battle of Stoke Field? Where John de la Pole (who had a better claim to the throne than the current King) was killed when he tried to seat a pretender on the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhawk764
    The Battle of Stoke Field? Where John de la Pole (who had a better claim to the throne than the current King) was killed when he tried to seat a pretender on the throne.
    ?