Page 8 of 253 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Are you guys going to use the map textures in M2TW? To be honest that was the biggest turn off in the game
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by spanish_emperor View Post
    Are you guys going to use the map textures in M2TW? To be honest that was the biggest turn off in the game
    Probably at first. Though if one of the skinners/graphic designers feels like remaking them, as happened in EB1, they may be replaced.

How many of the old Modmembers of EB1 work on EB2 ? I have the feeling that the project grows much slower than EB1?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    How many of the old Modmembers of EB1 work on EB2 ? I have the feeling that the project grows much slower than EB1?
    Remeber that there is more work to be done too. Like multiple skins per unit. And getting everything out of the M2TW features.

Will there be many more ethnicities for EB 2? IE more per faction/
    Worst part of trying to express a point is when someone says what you said better and gets praised.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    Much of the team that worked on the last version of EB1 moved right over to EBII. A few of the core people of EB1 have left and some are busy with real world issues. Many of the unit modelers/skinners left after EB1 and a great deal of new modelers/skinners have joined the EBII team, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zhang Ku View Post
    Will there be many more ethnicities for EB 2? IE more per faction/
    IIRC, ethnicities will be reworked as one large group rather than a different group for each faction. Thus, allowing for more per faction because of some overlap, though not 100% overlap. There will probably be more information on traits at some point in the future.

I guess that it is too late to open up a debate around Barbarian numbers? I got a thread going in the Realism Mod forum around addressing this major historical inaccuracy. A more balanced perspective w.r.t. Barbarians and 'civilised' peoples would include not taking the Roman accounts too literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritigern View Post
    I guess that it is too late to open up a debate around Barbarian numbers? I got a thread going in the Realism Mod forum around addressing this major historical inaccuracy. A more balanced perspective w.r.t. Barbarians and 'civilised' peoples would include not taking the Roman accounts too literally.
    What version of EBI has 100,000 barbarians against 10,000 romans? Elite units in barbarian armies have small numbers of men, while their levies are generally larger. The numbers are generally the same across all factions, except where historial records record a separate number, or where game mechanics require (elite phalangitai are the same size as levy phalangita, for example).

Foot
    Last edited by Foot; June 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Icon3 Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

A more balanced perspective w.r.t. Barbarians and 'civilised' peoples would include not taking the Roman accounts too literally.
    That was actually the starting point for EB1. You are preaching to the converted .

Civis

Quick question to the devs

How do you do your research Do you have masters in ancient history or what

Quote Originally Posted by ComnenusByz View Post
    Quick question to the devs

How do you do your research Do you have masters in ancient history or what
    We have post-grads, grads and under-grads. We have professional academics and we have hobbyists who have collected a wealth of information in their years of study.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    What version of EBII has 100,000 barbarians against 10,000 romans? Foot
    Recognise that huge progress has been made with EB.

It seems that I really need to work on my battlefield technique!

For example, when playing the Sweboz, taking on 5x more Romans is nowhere near an even contest. Replicating Arausio (~~10x odds) is not even on the horizon. On a good day I can cope with 2:3 odds of higher quality Romans, but when stack after stack keep on heading north, you realise that you need to pull off a long string of miracles.

Will keep on trying - must be missing something!

Recognise that huge progress has been made with EB.

It seems that I really need to work on my battlefield technique!

For example, when playing the Sweboz, taking on 5x more Romans is nowhere near an even contest. Replicating Arausio (~~10x odds) is not even on the horizon. On a good day I can cope with 2:3 odds of higher quality Romans, but when stack after stack keep on heading north, you realise that you need to pull off a long string of miracles.

Will keep on trying - must be missing something!
    Ah, I thought you were referring to unit sizes.

The reason that happens, and it happens with all AI factions, is because of the money script and the population replenishment. Given the AI of RTW manages to be completely oblivious to their economic situation they will bleed their cities and treasuries dry of people and money to come after you. To make sure that they can still upgrade their infrastructure we give them assistance with population and money input.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

The way the AI works does make sense and compensates for it being dumb.

The unrealistic ineffectiveness of the Sweboz soldiery against approximately equal sized Roman armies mean that I need to run an single stack of Sweboz (can't afford much more with 15 or so provinces) to and fro whilst they struggle to wipe out one Roman stack after another. Having 2-4 near-full Roman stacks always in sight means lots of battles, and a stream of replacements and depleted units running to and from settlements.

More realistic would be more effective, but smaller units. Highly expensive same-sized units amounts to the same thing. That way one would recreate the typical barbarian horde vs. Roman battles of the time. Good battlefield skills should give the Sweboz a win against ~5x odds most days, ~10x would be a major achievement (Arausio again). ~5x odds with good commanders on each side (e.g. Ariovistus & Julius Caesar) might then go either way.

Except that units drastically reduce in effectiveness for their roles if you reduce their size. Line infantry have to be big because they are intended to soak up a lot of the damage. If you make them smaller, but include more units in the line to compensate, they may lose the same number of men, but percentage wise each unit will lose more and the line will crumble quicker. Some tweaking of the morale may offer some way to compensate this, but they you are delving into some very sticky situations with regards to balancing, which we certainly don't have time for.

And if you think that your germanic spearmen cannot tackle the roman infantry, then you are obviously using the wrong terrain. You will eat roman troops alive in the forests, where their formations will become broken and your lighter troops can wade in and out of combat as needed.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Thanks will try forest battle.

I have also been shown how to change unit attributes. So will have a play with these to get a more realistic battlefield effect. The lazy part of me believes that it is best to wait until EB2 gets launched and then to modify the attributes on this improved platform. From what you say it is clear that minor tweaks will not suffice. If I set 24 or 32 Spearmen as being combat equivalent to 82 Principes then I will have to make some significant adjustments to combat stats. Also to make the changed attributes more historically realistic then I will need to probably make disproportionately large adjustments to the attack and charge bonus, but less so on defense. In a sense I want to recreate the historical circumstances where the Germanics tended to need to win quickly, before the enormous odds the Romans could bring to bear took effect.

As I said, this is a minor job compared to building EB2

Ok I have a few questions

1. Will the ships be remodeled? Another mod I play a lot is Roma Surrectum, (sorry if another mod is not allowed to be mentioned) it has neat looking ships.

2. Will weapons be upgradeable?

3. Will religions be expanded? i.e In RS the Greeks and Romans got to chose from like ten different temple types. Governors would become a priests of that religion. Referring to the question above if the Romans built a temple dedicated to Vulcan, or the Greeks to Hephaestus then weapons could be upgraded. If a temple for Neptune or Poseidon was created then ships being built there would get command stars at creation.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

As for3., that's not historically correct. Weapons weren't upgraded by priests

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by tls5669 View Post
    Ok I have a few questions

1. Will the ships be remodeled? Another mod I play a lot is Roma Surrectum, (sorry if another mod is not allowed to be mentioned) it has neat looking ships.

2. Will weapons be upgradeable?

3. Will religions be expanded? i.e In RS the Greeks and Romans got to chose from like ten different temple types. Governors would become a priests of that religion. Referring to the question above if the Romans built a temple dedicated to Vulcan, or the Greeks to Hephaestus then weapons could be upgraded. If a temple for Neptune or Poseidon was created then ships being built there would get command stars at creation.
    1- EB1 has remodeled ships. The same model or a new one will most likely be used in EBII.

2- Most likely there will be limited weapon upgrades, if any. Although, M2TW weapon upgrades work differently from RTW and open new oppertunities for things.

3- It was almost never the case that only one god was worshiped in a city and only a few had a sole patron god. The EBII temple system will be simpler than RTW and be dedicated to a pantheon of gods, with variation within the building tree.

1. Will you use the possibility to award titels by clicking on the character you want it for, like in HRR?

2. Will you picture the republican systems of Rome and Carthage in any special way?

3. Have you already decided what you will do with agents like merchants, princesses, priests, heretic and inquisitors?

4. What will you do with Guilds?
    Last edited by Isildor; July 07, 2009 at 10:47 AM.