Page 6 of 253 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Senator

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    PSF are going to be used, although the team has not specified how (link).
    This is good - thanks for the link...

Default New question and suggest

thank you, but what is important to use spear overhand or underhand? I think the important thing is to kill and survive in the battle where enemies surround. When using overhand, hoplites can have more flexibility to use the spear, however, it will be very hard to hold firmly all the spear, holder can only crap the middle point of the spear so the length used of the spear will be reduces. Meanwhile when using underhand, it is less flexible although we have more spear length (I think it is better to defense). However our M2TW technology can only allow for underhand or overhand, so what will we choose?It's not important, right?.
    Last edited by slashcode; January 24, 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Will there be significant differences between castles and cities in the settlement_mechanics file (as there are in M2TW and its mods)?

Will there be significant differences in the recruitable units from castles and cities?

How are you setting up recruitment pools? Are you keeping a Rome-like 1-2 recruitment slots, or will there be many available slots in most cases?

Has there been any thought to incorporating scripted rebellions (based on faction leader's authority, leader's death, happiness in capital, loyalty of generals, etc.) to stimulate civil wars?

Since vassalation played a huge role in this time period, has there been any thought as to how vassalation of an emey faction could be made more powerful or useful? Either through the scripts and AI (with vassalized factions always going to war when their master goes to war), or with some sort of hacked "request assistance" mechanism?

Will there be any mechanism added for approximating faction-wide "stability" and/or "war weariness", perhaps using some combination of scripts and event-tied building effects?

Icon7 Re: New question and suggest

Quote Originally Posted by slashcode View Post
    holder can only crap the middle point of the spear so the length used of the spear will be reduces.
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by slashcode View Post
    However our M2TW technology can only allow for underhand or overhand, so what will we choose?It's not important, right?.
    It is important because historicaly they mostly used overhand.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage View Post
    Will there be significant differences between castles and cities in the settlement_mechanics file (as there are in M2TW and its mods)?
    I'm sure they said somewhere in the faq (possibly at the .org) that there will be reduced difference.
    • Karl Marx made a great contribution to the liberation cause of mankind, and because of his immortal exploits his name is still enshrined in the hearts of the working class and peoples of all countries.
      • [1], 1983, Let Us Advance Under the Banner of Marxism-Leninism and the Juche Idea

Will government building of another faction be automatically destroyed when an army of another faction takes over in the same way churches and mosques are in M2TW?

I do it as a matter of fact in EB but i don't really know if I really need to if the current one is already at the level i want.

Is it possible to change the way allies choose which side they are on when 2 of there allies go to war. In vanilla RTW they always went against the aggressor, now they always support them. Would be nice if they were a little more realistic in there choice.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; January 28, 2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: double post
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Is a new stele coming out soon?
    'Sup Gentlemen...
    "Militant" Atheist (Just kidding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A
    My Political Profile http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8819965#post8819965

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Nikephorus16 View Post
    Is a new stele coming out soon?
    Yes...

...no...

...maybe...

:hmmm:

MAC
    you're revealing some secret stuff man !
    ha!

Hello, just a few questions.

Will Scythian and Parthian armies have female warriors as well? (I'm guessing that with the new system you can mix them with male ones as you don't get clone soldiers, right?)

Will different Parthian cities have different unit rosters to represent subordinate kingdoms and things?

I don't suppose there's any chance of a supply-wagon unit which enables archers and cav. archers and things to restock their quivers, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by daryush View Post
    Hello, just a few questions.

1.Will Scythian and Parthian armies have female warriors as well? (I'm guessing that with the new system you can mix them with male ones as you don't get clone soldiers, right?)

2.Will different Parthian cities have different unit rosters to represent subordinate kingdoms and things?

3.I don't suppose there's any chance of a supply-wagon unit which enables archers and cav. archers and things to restock their quivers, is there?

1. If there is evidence enough that female warriors indeed fought alongside, then it is possible that there will be a few in there.

Not with Pahlava though, as they didn't do that AFAIK.

Scythian units perhaps. There's no Scythian faction in EB I and there probably won't be one in EB II either since they were starting to get very weak by 3th century BC.
    The same goes for Aorsi and Roxolani units

Sarmatian and Saka Rauka armies may have a few female warriors if enough evidence is found.

The EB Team will have to decide about that.

2. You clearly haven't played EB I? You should try it or certainly look at the faction/units (Pahlava+Eleutheroi) pages on www.europabarbarorum.com. Europa Barbarorum has the largest and most complicated AOR system there is.

3. Supply units take up (a) unitslot(s). Those are very much needed for other units, so they won't be in.
    Besides, I don't think it is possible to "reload" your archers (hard-coded). But it is a nice idea.

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    1. If there is evidence enough that female warriors indeed fought alongside, then it is possible that there will be a few in there.

Not with Pahlava though, as they didn't do that AFAIK.

Scythian units perhaps. There's no Scythian faction in EB I and there probably won't be one in EB II either since they were starting to get very weak by 3th century BC.
    The same goes for Aorsi and Roxolani units

Sarmatian and Saka Rauka armies may have a few female warriors if enough evidence is found.

The EB Team will have to decide about that.

2. You clearly haven't played EB I? You should try it or certainly look at the faction/units (Pahlava+Eleutheroi) pages on www.europabarbarorum.com. Europa Barbarorum has the largest and most complicated AOR system there is.

3. Supply units take up (a) unitslot(s). Those are very much needed for other units, so they won't be in.
    Besides, I don't think it is possible to "reload" your archers (hard-coded). But it is a nice idea.
    1. Oh ok ... I swear I read somewhere that they did but never mind.

2. I have played it, but it was quite a while ago before my comp had to be rebooted and my RTW disc decided not to work )

(thats a very nice unit roster on your site though)

3. Haha oh well, it was worth an ask

Icon3 Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    Not sure about the Saka Rauka, but IIRC a Sarmatian female horse-archer unit was in the works for EB. It just never got implemented, either because it was not finished or because its functionality would be the same as the standard horse archer and there were no female-only units in reality. We may see them in EB2, although the M2:TW engine offers no way of preventing a bearded head being combined with a female torso. Then again, you probably wouldn't see the difference under the clothes they wore.

As for the supply unit, that is indeed hard-coded.

Ok. There is evidence for sarmatian female warrior. Tombs with woman corpses with bows, dague and light military equipment. I have a lot of informations about it but my references are in french, so it is difficult to share ! But if you get doccumented about sarmatians, you will see the evidences. Unfortunately, there is indirect evidences witch are greeks and roman and are just exagerated, speaking about "Amazones" and other fantastic stuffs. But archeological evidences are there and repeted enough to say, it seems, that women archers where culturaly admitted.

Parthian it is not sure. They were nomads but they were nomads near the setteled community. They had mixed culture. No archeological evidence nor writen evidence have been found about women warriors. Actualy I have not seen any. Same about Saka Rauka, but the names are not easy to translate, considering "saka" could mean "scythian", and concidering there is a problem to distinguish all the cultures of the nomad and semi-nomad world.

Concerning women, I think it could be interesting to ad one or two women in a light unit by using the differenced textures. Because we have no evidence of units of women (and it seems to me it is not logical to use a unit with only women...) but while we know there were women warriors, we could positively thing they were integrated in light units with other male fighters.

And rather see no famale warriors than bearded heads on female torsos or female heads on manly bodies.

Yes, the Sarmatian warrior-woman tombs are well known.
    Pahlava may have used them when they were still nomadic, but certainly not once we're a few decades further into the EB timeline?

Saka Rauka is indeed hard to find evidence.

We'll see what the EB team makes of it.

On the French sources: I think more people that you think can speak or at least read French - albeit less people than the Frenchies would want

I'm not a fluent speaker - even with "une amie francophone"... I'm more of an Anglophile I guess -, but I understand pretty much everything in French.

Icon3 Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Floren d'Asteneuz View Post
    Ok. There is evidence for sarmatian female warrior. Tombs with woman corpses with bows, dague and light military equipment. I have a lot of informations about it but my references are in french, so it is difficult to share ! But if you get doccumented about sarmatians, you will see the evidences. Unfortunately, there is indirect evidences witch are greeks and roman and are just exagerated, speaking about "Amazones" and other fantastic stuffs. But archeological evidences are there and repeted enough to say, it seems, that women archers where culturaly admitted.
    Don't worry, nobody is arguing for Amazons. Just out of curiosity, to what time are those tombs dated?

As far as I remember, it was around 400 BC to 100 bc, with degradation of the amount of the finds... But you must take my words for not sure, I have to go back to my main reference if I want to be more precise. Some of works I see talk about 20 percent of female tombs containing weapons between VIth and IVth century bc. ("Sauromatae culture" aprox.) (those works have no clear references though)

@Mediolanicus : I am sceptical as you are about Parthian female warriors while setteled, though some talks about female Sassanid warriors (Persian empire after Parthian empire) but no evidence before.

Concerning references in french, a great lecture I advice : "Les Sarmates", from Yaroslav Lebedynsky.

Great book with a lot of illustrations of archeological pieces, with scales and lenght ! He also speak about skull deformation witch is very impressive (but less than the bearded women with male torso )

Quote Originally Posted by Floren d'Asteneuz View Post
    @Mediolanicus : I am sceptical as you are about Parthian female warriors while setteled, though some talks about female Sassanid warriors (Persian empire after Parthian empire) but no evidence before.
    Yeah. Well not much anything remains about Parthia itself. I was kind of assuming they did based on the fact that Scythians (from which they originated) did and the Sassanians also did ....

Birds can fly. Birds are animals. Bats can fly. Bats are animals. All animals can fly?

Kind of assuming is not really the way to be accurate...

I'd like to ask about the effective of Macedonian spears. Could enemies with shorter weapon break the spear wall to get into it and fight sword to sword with them? Or they can only stuck far outside the spear wall?

According to Battle of Chaeronea in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chaeronea_(338_BC), Philip had to withdraw so Alexander can break into enemies' gap for triumph. The question is if Macedonian spears were so long to stop shorter Greek spear wall far away from them, why did Philip had that much of troubles before he withdrew?

Besides, the spear of a Greek man is only about 3m, and he had to carry it upperhand so he had to touch his hand in the middle of the spear to keep balance in that pose, therefore the length left of his spear that could strike is only about 1.5-2 m. It was much shorter the long spear of Macedonian which is about 6 m and is held underhand by both hands. Consequently, if a Greek spearman stay 6m away from a Macedonian man to prevent strike from Mace spear, how could that poor guy harm the Macedonian? I think the only thing he could do is using his sheild to break Mace spear to get closer, then throw stones, or short spears to kill.

I prefer the solution that in the charge between Mace and Greek spearmen, some Greek spearmen (may be much or a lot of Greek spearmen) can get close to Mace spearmen enough for using sword or their short spear. Greek spearmen have large shield so it can be understandable how they can survive against long but inaccurate spear of the Mace.

Things get worse for the less developed horde ((Gaul, Germans and other barbarian)) because they do not have metal shield.

Roman can get close to Mace spears too because they have both large shield and excellent amour, so they could hold the line against the Macedonian before flanking Macedonian with elephants in the famous Battle of Pydnah-ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pydna

Dario, the Sicilian's Avatar Civis

Is there any possibility that the Indian Maurya empire will be added? I know that the map doesn't includes the center of their empire(India) but at the time of this mod, they did owned cities at the Indus and west of it. Their western border lied right against the Seleucid empire, and in EB1 this area is owned by the rebels. Just wanted to point that out.