Page 33 of 253 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839404142435883133 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

How will the ap-feature, as it is very powerful, be used in EBII compared to EB1 where it was fairly wide spread?

Is it somehow possible to make more information from the currently used EDU visible in the unit description seen in-game, such as:
    - lethality of melee weapon
    - ap ability of secondary weapon
    - range of javelins and bows/slings
    - the units mass value
    And maybe even mount_effect, stat_heat and stat_ground values? Not for the first release, but maybe in one of the later updates though.

That would be an amazing bonus-feature! ...if doable at all - but if it can be done, then surley by you guys.

THX and mea culpa for sounding cocky!

Quote Originally Posted by skeuophoros View Post
    Is it somehow possible to make more information from the currently used EDU visible in the unit description seen in-game, such as:
    - the units mass value
    And maybe even mount_effect, stat_heat and stat_ground values? Not for the first release, but maybe in one of the later updates though.

That would be an amazing bonus-feature! ...if doable at all - but if it can be done, then surley by you guys.

No that isn't possible. What type of information is displayable by the game is largely hardcoded, we can only change the information, not how it is used by the game.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Unless you write everything down in the descriptions of the units.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by skeuophoros View Post
    - the units mass value

I made a sub mod for EB before I joined the team that put the range and ammo amount of every units missile weapons in the text descriptions (like Foot said, it is impossible to get them to appear in the normal way), the intention was to expand it to include things like secondary attack, weapon attributes (AP, light_spear etc), lethality and morale.

I got about a third of the way through the units before I got distracted, might make it a Christmas project to finish it.

Lethality was removed from M2TW btw.
    Concerning your previous question: we are still working on the EBII stating system but I imagine most weapons that had AP in EB will have it in EBII.

this mod will be great ! i cant wait to play it ! please be hurry to make it .

@parasa.b....It is done when it is done.
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

thnx for your full answer !
    i am serious .

Forgive me if I'm missing a question that was already answered. I was going to look through them all before, but... 33 results...

in any case,

1) Will free upkeep slots be used in any way (I can understand that may not be terribly accurate)?
    2) Are you guys going to incorporate a mix of PSFs and regular forts, and is it possible to cause regular forts to develop into PSFs?
    3) will the government system for the Koinon Hellenon account for it being an alliance system rather than a united faction?

Appreciate all of the work you guys put into this.

EDIT: 4) can you say anything about what will be done regarding diplomacy?
    EDIT (again): 5) is it possible to give certain units bonuses during night attacks? I seem to recall that they affect certain statistics for everyone involved, but with a unit such as, say, the Germanic naked spearmen, who blacken their shields and bodies and choose pitched nights for battles, it would be more realistic for them to recieve bonuses in comparison to, say, a bunch of toxotai...
    Last edited by Artorath; December 22, 2010 at 09:35 PM.

My apologies, after reading through a little longer I realized question 2 has been answered very thoroughly already. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: and another question... I really should have made a list first... sorry...
    6) Is there any way to modify the way supply works from EB 1? I understand that this might be rather painful to do... but it was always a source of some annoyance to me when I would be starving out an enemy settlement right next to my territory and my army would end up starving, even though they could easily be supplied by nearby cities...
    Also applicable to sieges of cities near a coast. For example, besieging Athens by land alone for all intents and purposes should not be feasible. Is it possible to make sieges of some cities dependent on whether or not their port is blockaded?
    Last edited by Artorath; December 22, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

On the subject of supplies after playing hearts of iron 3 for a while I have come to understand the importance of logistics in warfare. I would like to see logistics have a more important role in a total war game. I wonder if its at all possible for supplies to have a greater impact than just on moral. Of course being short on food would damage troops moral but I wonder if perhaps the lack of nourishment might make them permanently tired or exhausted throughout a battle. Missile units might find themselves short of ammo. Troops might even start to die off on the campaign map if things get really bad. I don't know how much is possible for you to do or if you even have the time but I love authenticity so the more the merrier.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Artorath View Post
    1) Will free upkeep slots be used in any way (I can understand that may not be terribly accurate)?
    I don't think there has been any decision on them yet

3) will the government system for the Koinon Hellenon account for it being an alliance system rather than a united faction?
    Yes but we're not ready to release the details yet.

EDIT: 4) can you say anything about what will be done regarding diplomacy?
    Still being worked on.

EDIT (again): 5) is it possible to give certain units bonuses during night attacks? I seem to recall that they affect certain statistics for everyone involved, but with a unit such as, say, the Germanic naked spearmen, who blacken their shields and bodies and choose pitched nights for battles, it would be more realistic for them to recieve bonuses in comparison to, say, a bunch of toxotai...
    Not possible, you can give the general bonuses that effect his army but not individual units.

EDIT: and another question... I really should have made a list first... sorry...
    6) Is there any way to modify the way supply works from EB 1? I understand that this might be rather painful to do... but it was always a source of some annoyance to me when I would be starving out an enemy settlement right next to my territory and my army would end up starving, even though they could easily be supplied by nearby cities...
    Also applicable to sieges of cities near a coast. For example, besieging Athens by land alone for all intents and purposes should not be feasible. Is it possible to make sieges of some cities dependent on whether or not their port is blockaded?
    The first part is possible but I imagine we won't be playing around with the supply mechanic until later releases.
    The second part cannot be done as this is a feature of M2TW that cannit be modded.

Quote Originally Posted by InsanePerson42 View Post
    On the subject of supplies after playing hearts of iron 3 for a while I have come to understand the importance of logistics in warfare. I would like to see logistics have a more important role in a total war game. I wonder if its at all possible for supplies to have a greater impact than just on moral. Of course being short on food would damage troops moral but I wonder if perhaps the lack of nourishment might make them permanently tired or exhausted throughout a battle. Missile units might find themselves short of ammo. Troops might even start to die off on the campaign map if things get really bad. I don't know how much is possible for you to do or if you even have the time but I love authenticity so the more the merrier.
    Only the last suggestion (troops dying off) might be possible, but as i said before we won't be doing much there until after first release.
    Last edited by bobbin; December 26, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Now looking forward very much to a Koinon Hellenon preview, even if it will be in the far future...

@ InsanePerson42 / bobbin

Regarding supplies:

There's a sub-mod for StainlessSteel/RRRC called BGR (Byg's Grim Reality) which has a very complex supply mechanism (but it only affects/diminishes the ability to recruit troops IIRC) along with further drastic recruitment restrictions plus other features which make governing esp. larger empires more difficult.
    Maybe something like this could be interesting for later releases of EBII. Although I guess you are working at own ideas and concepts for scripts handling matters like that.

Here's an excerpt from the BGR description:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Variable Foraging & Supplies
    In BGRIV Enhanced there are new costs to the economy caused by your own armies foraging your own lands. These costs vary with army size. There are optional files in your BGR Enhanced downloads to alter the rates of these costs to your liking or you can just use the defaults by doing nothing. Unlead Armies (no general) typically cause more damage).

All you really need to know here is that smaller armies consume less forage and supplies. Read on for more detail to help with testing.

In all previous versions of BGR, an army entering the field or a new region would forage for a turn whilst the vicinity was unforaged. The following turn the army would then expand their foraging range as nearby forage is consumed.

In home territory there were 3 stages of foraging:

Fresh Foraging
    Wide Range Foraging
    Scarce Foraging
    No foraging, Consume 1/4 Supplies

In foreign territory where the peasants are more resistant to being pillaged there is only two stages to foraging:

Fresh Foraging
    No foraging, Consume 1/4 Supplies

When no foraging was reached the army would then have to consume a 1/4 of its own supplies and in doing so provide the region with a period for recovery of its resources. The cycle would then begin again with supplies reducing from full to none as follows:

Fully Supplied
    75% supplies
    50% Supplies
    25% Supplies
    Emergency Supplies (War Councillors only)
    Out of Supplies

In BGRIV this system is still in place but with variable periods between all the foraging ranges and also between all the supply "1/4"s.

A full size army will consume forage and supplies at the full rate as described above, however if you have half an army there will be 2 turns before either forage is consumed or supplies are reduced. A quarter size army obtains a similar benefit and is the smallest allowance for size. Example:

Army consumption Rate = 1/2. Fully supplied. In the field. In new region. In home territory.

Turn 1 - Fresh Foraging
    Turn 2 - Fresh Foraging, Foraging Range Resources: 4/8ths
    Turn 3 - Wide Range Foraging
    Turn 4 - Wide Range Foraging, Foraging Range Resources: 4/8ths
    Turn 5 - Scarce Foraging
    Turn 6 - Scarce Foraging, Foraging Range Resources: 4/8ths
    Turn 7 - No foraging, , Foraging Range Resources: 0/8ths, Fully Supplied, Supply Subdivision 4/8ths

Turn 8 - Fresh Foraging
    Turn 9 - Fresh Foraging, Foraging Range Resources: 4/8ths
    Turn 10 - Wide Range Foraging
    Turn 11 - Wide Range Foraging, Foraging Range Resources: 4/8ths
    Turn 12 - Scarce Foraging
    Turn 13 - Scarce Foraging, Foraging Range Resources: 4/8ths
    Turn 14 - No foraging, Foraging Range Resources: 0/8ths, 75% Supplies Remaining

NOTE For testing purposes you will see the Traits "supply subdivisions" & "Foraging Range Resources", but these will be hidden in the final game, unless they are wanted.

Army Consumption Rate is a guide to how fast foraging and supplies will last. Note that when not in the field the army consumption rate only displays that of your general, not his army. Despite his rate showing, he will not be consuming these supplies in a settlement, but rather living off the settlement.

Efficiency of foraging and supply consumption is increased with more generals present in an army, though each general unit present consumes a minimum of 1/4 of his own supplies. So:

Full Army with One General = 1 Full army as far as the lead generals supplies are concerned, but the addition of another general means the main general will be responsible for only 1/2 the army's consumption so his rate will be 1/2. As the extra general takes charge of 1/4 of consumpion you can see that the new consumption rate, adding the two is actually 3/4s.

Of course, "Too many cooks spoils the broth" and you can probably see that too many generals can also add inefficiency, each with their own selfish demands.
    Though from the wrong period, a good example is when Napaoleon ran away from Moscow leaving the rest of the army to starve en route. I think it is fair to say that he ensured that he had more than his own fair share of supplies and I doubt that situation has ever been different.

Effect of Supplies on Movement

A small army will have less carrying ability than a large one and will thus be slower when burdened with the same quantity of supplies. The Resupply Train will slow armies down even further depending on how much it contains.

Resupply Train

In addition to your usual army supplies there is also one supply train available to the faction. It takes the form of an ancillary and here is the ancillary description:

Resupply Train

The faction supports a single resupply train, intended to provide additional supplies for the Leader's main army. The Leader may delegate his resupply train to any other general.

A support general may follow the main army with these extra supplies and transfer them when necessary to the main army general. The main army may also carry the resupply train, though it may slow it down. Restock the resupply train in settlements or supply ships.

Resupply When Encamped in Forts or in the Open

When an army is at rest for more than 1 turn in home territory it makes camp and camp followers and traders begin to establish themselves and a makeshift market in the vicinity.
    Provisions are then topped up as necessary whilst the camp is maintained with the general in unbroken occupation. If the general marches out the traders disappear and return when he again appears to be a long term resident in his camp. Supplies from traders are not cheap and will cost 50% more than regular supplies.
    In BGRIV Enhanced supplies from ships are also more expensive.

Links to the full description:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060
    http://www.nerazzurri.net/bgr-forum/...fd4ebc7f9eaf16

Campidoctor

Yeah something like BGR is what we plan to aim for, although obviously tweaked to suit our timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    Yeah something like BGR is what we plan to aim for, although obviously tweaked to suit our timeframe.
    Awesome! The more troubles, the merrier the campaign.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

If you get to the end date, wich is 14 AD and still playing can I choose to continue on.
    and do you guys have any pics to show how things look on MTW2?

Quote Originally Posted by GM207 View Post
    If you get to the end date, wich is 14 AD and still playing can I choose to continue on.
    and do you guys have any pics to show how things look on MTW2?
    1044 turn or what is it, not enough for you? :p
    Normally you can continue, yes.

Take a look at the previews, duh! (Although the last preview is a bit low on pictures. If you are only interested in pictures, take a look at another preview.)

Campidoctor

Also unlike in EB, our 4tpy script will continue working past the official end date.

Team Sleep's Avatar Semisalis

Just a comment about BGR. I played SS the latest version with the RR/RC. It's okay. Not as tweeked or refined as even EBI. Don't get me wrong I liked SS. But it just felt like another vanilla version to me. But the BGR. Now that employees SERIOUS campaign limitations. I don't recall if it only had to do with recruitment options...but I also remember there being restrictions as to which FM/Generals could attack, as well as how far within and outside of your own borders a FM/General could go without being penalized in some way, save the supply issues.

All in all I find that while playing extremely realistic submods like BGR they end up being very tedious, long drawn out affairs(this can sometimes be good). But with a down side of such extreme restrictions that nearly every action players are familiar with in Vanilla and it's various mods are PENALIZED HARSHLY. Even such things as simply moving into another terriotry...okay I understand logistics and suplies...but what about the whole other mess of problems BGR create for the player? AND FINE...it's realistic...congratulations! But when simple things that are always taken for granting such as simply moving an army w/ family member into a territory to lay siege...or just simply not allowing without some kind of punishment to expand...just does not make the reward of conquering new provinces worth it...basically what I'm trying to say is that they heavy restrictions way out weigh the rewards of the game. Oh...and on a side note...the player is the only one that must abide by the rules of the submod. Computer has free reign.

Although the submod can be awed at for it's realism...IMO I feel only a small audience is appealed by such a submod & heavy penalties for small rewards causes frustration to outweigh enjoyment of the mod. LOL...I wouldn't mind some frustration so long as the enjoyment factor is equal to that amount or more so. BTW I'm all for campaign difficulty and realistic hardship...but BGR...COME ON!

IF the EB team decides to do something like BGR then so be it. Just please keep this post in mind. I may be but one fan...but I have a feeling there are many others who are waiting in anticipation for this mod that share the same opinion.

Thanks for reading Friends!