Page 14 of 253 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223243964114 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

I just have a couple of questions:

1. Will the AI in eb2 be superior to that of eb1 e.g. will the AI in eb2 be more expansive and less passive than eb1 on the main strategy map, and 'smarter' on the battle map?

2. Will it be possible to have eb2 installed alongside a standard installation of mtw2?

3. What is the likely release year of eb2, 2010 or 2011 (I'm guessing 2011!)

Thanks

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

1. Since the AI is moddable you can expect better AI, but don't expect any miracles (like 'smart' AI).

2. EB1 already used a mod-folder, so I guess that EB2 will too. Most Kingdoms mods use that system anyway.

3. Short answer: when it's done. Longer answer: we can probably expect The Gaza Campaign this year, but a 'full' mod will take longer. Not even the team members know how long.

Biarchus

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. Will EB2 be compatible with the steam versions of Med II Kingdoms? or just the retail boxed versions of the game? Thank You.

You can install mods on steam so you should be able to play EB2 with it.

diadok's Avatar Senator

About AI, it would be great to use XAI... a new version (4.0) will come, and there will be a lot of time before EB2 released, so we can expect that XAI will be very "smart" at this time...
    XAI is free to use for all modders, the team members are working on the code for 2 years now; about what i have seen, their AI is the best in battle and sieging, and it seems that there will be great improvments in campaign AI.
    so, it would be great to include this great work in your great mod.

(just my opinion)

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Genava's Avatar Senator

About AI, it would be great to use XAI... a new version (4.0) will come, and there will be a lot of time before EB2 released, so we can expect that XAI will be very "smart" at this time...
    XAI is free to use for all modders, the team members are working on the code for 2 years now; about what i have seen, their AI is the best in battle and sieging, and it seems that there will be great improvments in campaign AI.
    so, it would be great to include this great work in your great mod.
    It's a good idea and I think the EBTeam will maybe use it but with several improvements because the XCAI can't be used (different building and cultures). However the XBAI can be sufficient tactical with the units of EBII.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

PyrrhusofEpirus's Avatar Foederatus

Firstly, let me just say that I love EB, it's really on another level to other mods.

Something I always admired was your commitment to historical accuracy as I am a lover of history myself. I just wondered where you found evidence for the 'cataphract' style Iberian heavy cavalry, from what I can tell there is no real evidence for this - although Iberian cavalry was highly rated by ancient sources, I don't think it was ever metioned that they were that heavily armoured. Will this unit be the same in EB2?

Of course this is just a question and I am ready to be proved wrong, it's just that this was my view from the evidence I have seen.

Good luck with EB2

Genava's Avatar Senator

Hello PyrrhusofEpirus,

I think it's based on the illustration of Angus McBride. Some informations here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,89207.45.html but maybe you are already go here

If a member of EB can give some explanations, it will be nice

diadok's Avatar Senator

Icon7 Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

with several improvements because the XCAI can't be used (different building and cultures).
    of course, CAI would need to be adapt to every mods, plus for EB2 with governments types and all of that... but it would be a great base to make something amazing

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Icon3 Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    I think it's based on the illustration of Angus McBride. Some informations here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,89207.45.html but maybe you are already go here

If a member of EB can give some explanations, it will be nice
    Check this old post.

PyrrhusofEpirus's Avatar Foederatus

I presume this means your minds are made up then. It just doesn't seem right to me, although I would say that there is no conclusive proof either way. I'll make some points anyway though.

1. Iberians are always talked about in the ancient sources as being experts in guerrilla tactics - and their cavalry always praised for its manoeuvrability in difficult terrain. Heavily armoured cavalry don't really fit in with this form of warfare, and considering how often Iberian horses are praised, it seems unlikely that no-one seemed to have ever mentioned armoured horse, especially when no one else (as far as I know) was using cataphracts in this part of the world at the time.

2. In Polybius's account of Cannae (however reliable or unreliable it may be) he never mentions the equipment of the Iberian cavalry, despite talking in some detail about the infantry, which leads me to believe that there was nothing particularly remarkable about their equipment. He actually lumps them in with the Gallic horse: ''But as soon as the Iberian and Celtic cavalry got at the Romans, the battle began in earnest, and in the true barbaric fashion: for there was none of the usual formal advance and retreat; but when they once got to close quarters, they grappled man to man, and, dismounting from their horses, fought on foot.''

The fact that he says ''they grappled man to man'' suggests it was a desperate struggle, and that the Carthaginian cavalry were not massively superior. It is more their discipline that impresses: ''...the Roman allied cavalry, seeing his charge approaching, broke and fled. At that point Hasdrubal appears to have acted with great skill and discretion. Seeing the Numidians to be strong in numbers, and more effective and formidable to troops that had once been forced from their ground, he left the pursuit to them; while he himself hastened to the part of the field where the infantry were engaged, and brought his men up to support the Libyans.''

3. In the thread that you linked to Ludens, it seems as if it comes down to the interpretation of the evidence of the Lyria vase, which is surely not enough evidence to go on - I would expect a few sources to be cross-referenced. How do we know the pattern on the vase represents chain mail? Maybe this was some sort of ceremonial dress? Perhaps only a few high profile individuals had access to it? Also they look like they are carrying javelins rather than lances.

I don't dispute that this is a very credible source, but it is ONE source, and if there is considerable doubt, which I believe there is, don't we have to conclude that there isn't enough evidence to put them in?

Maybe the case is already closed and you've already made your mind up on this, meaning that I've wasted my time writing this ''essay''.

Let me say again that I love your work, and maybe you just have access to more information than I do.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Maybe this was some sort of ceremonial dress?
    Same thing for the Gauls, on a vase of Aulnat, the horses are "dressed". Surely a ceremonial dress. Sources: Alain Deyber and Gabriel Sopeņa

Well for me I would like to know how far along is EB2 now. It seems I been waiting years for this mod to come out. Keep checking this site every few days to see any hint of when it might come out. I get disapointed everything to find nothing.... PLEASE+PLEASE when or hell what % are you at with this mod... I need to know, Im going crazy just waiting around to hear when...

diadok's Avatar Senator

the thread for this is here :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=279799&page=3

but you will get no answer. so i give you: the mod is advanced to x%

Has the team considered making a small Italian campaign before the big one, emulating that tuturial back on RTW?

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Tankai View Post
    Has the team considered making a small Italian campaign before the big one, emulating that tuturial back on RTW?
    IIRC there will be a "Gaza Campaign" which will serve as the tutorial. I think the factions included are the seleukids and ptolemies (most probably).

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    IIRC there will be a "Gaza Campaign" which will serve as the tutorial. I think the factions included are the seleukids and ptolemies (most probably).
    Actually, the main factions will probably be Ptolemy and Antigonos:

The year is 313BC and the wars among the Diadochoi are taking their toll on the people of the Eastern Mediterranean. Ambitious generals vie with each other for lordship over the domains of Megas Alexandros and peace is fleeting. Ptolemaios Lagou, an esteemed Strategos and friend to Alexandros, attempts to keep the balance of power spread equally among the Diadochoi, without favouring one man over another. It was he who spirited the body of Megas Alexandros to Alexandreia to be interred so that Perdikkas, the Imperial Regent, could not lay claim to the throne at the expense of the child kings Philippos and Alexandros. In defence of this careful balance he fought Perdikkas on the banks of the Neilos and defeated him in battle, but Ptolemaios refused to accept the title of Regent afterward.

But now a new tyrant has arisen, one Antigonos I Monophthalmos, who threatens to upset the balance of power and throw all of Asia and Greece into turmoil and endless war. This Antigonos had many years earlier incurred the wrath of Perdikkas and had resettled to Makedonia with his son, Demetrios, after losing his seat in Phrygia. There he found favour with Antipatros, Regent of Makedonia, and won influence at the Royal Court. After the death of Perdikkas, Antigonos once again returned to the politics of Asia, having united with the other Strategoi of Alexandros in support of Kassandros against the new Regent of Makedonia, Polyperchon. But his ambitions quickly turned to Asia, and after occupying Babylon, he made attacks on Kypros and Syria, both territories that Ptolemaios considers within his area of influence.

But Ptolemaios Lagou is not alone, for a man with ambitions has many enemies. The other Strategoi, even Kassandros, have joined in an alliance against Antigonos, but it is Ptolemaios who must act. On Kypros the Basileus of Salamis, Nikokles, has been overthrown by rebels backed by Antigonos. Ptolemaios, who has an alliance with Nikokles, has sent his brother, Menelaos, to Kypros where he has also been joined by the fugitive Strategos of Babylon, Seleukos. Together they must win back Salamis and destroy the influence of Antigonos on this island. But Ptolemaios must also be wary of his border with Phoinike and Syria, and so he has sent out his general, Kelles, to the fortress of Pelusion in case of attack from Antigonos or his son, Demetrios.

In this tutorial you will be introduced to some of the new game mechanics that will form part of EBII. You will be introduced to how the authority buildings work, and how they affect public order. You will find out what happens to infrastructure buildings when you conquer new settlements, and how to proceed once control has passed to you. You will also be introduced to the first of the four socio-political types, the city-state type, and how city-state factions spread their influence and culture into a province through the use of military or trade colonies.
    And to answer Tankai's question: it can very well be that the team decides to release another tutorial campaign besides Gaza (they hinted at this numerous times), but I don't think they will tell you now what period it will cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    And to answer Tankai's question: it can very well be that the team decides to release another tutorial campaign besides Gaza (they hinted at this numerous times), but I don't think they will tell you now what period it will cover.
    That's good. I mentioned an Italic campaign because of the cultural and bellic variety.

Just a quick question for my interest: Will the province borders and cities stay the same as in EB1 or will there be changes due to the 10 new factions?

Icon3 Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    Just a quick question for my interest: Will the province borders and cities stay the same as in EB1 or will there be changes due to the 10 new factions?
    The map will cover the same area, but there will be some shuffling around of cities and provinces.