Thread: SS installation affects medieval 2 (and mods based on that)

Default SS installation affects medieval 2 (and mods based on that)

I have installed SS 6.0 over my M2TW:Kingdoms (v1.05).
    After playing some time with SS, I wanted to go back to one of my mods, which is based on Medieval 2 (so it does not use a Kingdoms at all).
    I was able to continue my campaign in this mod, but unfortunatelly, all settlements and units models on strategic map has changed to that ones used by SS 6.0. So - there are two questions because of that:
    1. how may I remove those changes and have an original models on strategic map ?
    2. what else could be messed up in clean Medieval II because of installation of SS 6.0?

Default Re: SS installation affects medieval 2 (and mods based on that)

Ok, after some investigation it seems, that a lot of files is created in \Medieval2_Root_Directory\data\ and those files are affecting whole Medieval 2, including any other mod installed.
    I have attached a list of files, which are installed there. Are you really sure, that those files must be under \Medieval2_Root_Directory\data\, instead of
    \Medieval2_Root_Directory\mods\SS_mod_directory\data\ ??

Is this true? Does SS install any files outside of it's mod folder?

Yes. A few files that alter the layout of the interface ingame IIRC.
    Artifex
    Under the patronage of King Kong
    Proud patron of y2day and yelowdogg23

yah it does. i noticed, after installing SS, i played BC and when i laid siege to an enemy settlement, the animation was different. instead of the usual spikes surrounding the settlement, i get a couple of siege towers and rams surrounding the settlement along with some sick-looking tents.

i hope that whatever else SS changes outside its own folder is minimal and trivial like my example though.

Col Poutting's Avatar Tiro

yes it does make a few changes, but BC does so as well... Just look at your MEd2 folder before installation of eather 1 of these mods, and you will notice the difference. (new folders and files added). I find it a bit anoying, as when you will start your other mod(depending on which you installed last) it willl have some features of the other mod; making them not as genuine as they should be.

As I have no idea of such things, I do not know if it is ossible to alter this, so that nothing is put in the orig med 2 folders. I would greatly apreciate this, but it is of no big mattert for me

so the features will come from the mod that has been installed last, correct?

yeah, its so true. it's kinda annoying it's not "genuine" anymore but then again, as long as the changes aint that big, it shouldnt be too big of a deal. kinda like having a wedgie on a date

Eeek....this is unfortunate, but, I have multiple mods installed, some of them my own mods that I am always working on. This prevents me from installing SS, then... :-(

Can the files it installs outside it's mod folder by safely deleted? Or will that cause SS to not work properly?

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Look at post #2: that is exactly what SS6 installs to vanilla MTW2.

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

Don't be rude wolfslayer, of course I "looked at Post #2", that's why I posted immediately below it, because I wanted to confirm the information contained in that post.

Thanks thought for everyone's response, I have a good understanding of what I'll need to do now.
    Last edited by Candelarius; April 29, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Excuse me?

I'm not being "rude" in the least.

People in this thread are debating what this mod changes in vanilla, post #2 clearly states what is installed.

If I am directly responding to your post, I will quote you.

I did not quote you in my post.

I was just pointing this fact out since some of the posts after his didn't seem to realize what he posted in his attachment.
    Last edited by wolfslayer; April 29, 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: edited for clarity..

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfslayer View Post
    Excuse me?
    I'm not being "rude" in the least.
    People in this thread are debating what this mod changes in vanilla, post #2 clearly states what is installed.
    If I am directly responding to your post, I will quote you.
    I did not quote you in my post.
    I was just pointing this fact out since some of the posts after his didn't seem to realize what he posted in his attachment.

I don't know what part of the world you are from, so maybe in your part of the planet your word choices and seemingly condescending attitude are not considered rude (example: "If I am directly responding to your post, I will quote you"). And I'm also not about to get into an off-topic debate with you about this either, wolfslayer. But, you're still being rude where I come from. You need to either toss in some smiley faces in your posts or work on your sentence structures, because you certainly seem very rude to me, notwithstanding your exaggerated surprise at me stating as much.
    Last edited by Candelarius; April 29, 2008 at 12:32 PM.

uhh, hate to break it to ya candelarius, but he didn't seem rude to me at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Candelarius View Post
    Eeek....this is unfortunate, but, I have multiple mods installed, some of them my own mods that I am always working on. This prevents me from installing SS, then... :-(

Can the files it installs outside it's mod folder by safely deleted? Or will that cause SS to not work properly?
    From my experiments it seems that as long as you want to run SS, those files must be in that location. If they are not, SS won't start at all.
    But it seems, that if you want just to run some other mod or vanilla M2, all those files may be deleted (or moved to other location). One more thing - in case of other mods, if the mods has placed own files, which was overrided by SS, such file (even modified) probably shall remain in the directory, otherwise mod related to file may not work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by redmanPH View Post
    uhh, hate to break it to ya candelarius, but he didn't seem rude to me at all....
    I guess I'm reading it the wrong way, I thought he was being rather rude. Moving on.....
    Last edited by Candelarius; April 29, 2008 at 07:40 PM.

I think KK should made the mod to work with medmanager or in a way so that nothing is copied into the MTWII data folder.