Thread: -- Preview of Elves --

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: -- Preview of Elves --

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrok View Post
    Yeah. Thingol was rather annoying sometimes...
    Yeah, but he was a big'un!!! Lucky the Ward of Meliean was placed around Doriath though.

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by christof139 View Post
    Oh, I don't think it says Gurthang the Black Sword was dull when Beleg was first given it by the King. Gurthang at that time was a well known and powerful weapon ready for battle. It was reforged/refurfibished in Nargothrond after much battle use in the hand of Turin T. After this reforging it glowed a bit and had some flames on its cutting edges I do believe (I forget exactly). It is my favorite sword of ME as you can plainly deduce .

The Elves of Doriath weren't on the best of terms with the Noldo but no doubt made some of their own weapons and armor as well as buying more from the Dwarves and perhaps some from the Noldo.
    I'm not saying it was a bad sword which it certainly wasn't but I think for an example Glamdring was more well-made than Gurthang. Its power was in its special material.

Well i don't know if this question has been asked before, but I don't really feel like searching 100 pages to find it.

According to my books on Middle Earth Lore, there are in fact three major distinctions of elves: the Noldorian, the High Elves, the Silvan Elves, Wood Elves or East Elves, and the Sindarian, the Grey Elves. Part of Elrond's heritage is Sindarian, and Leoglas, Celeborn and Thranduil are Grey Elves, so are they going to be absorbed by the Silvan elves, or will they play a minor faction, consisting of Imladris (Rivendell)?

To the person who is using/used my TATW signature - who are you? You never left a name with the rep comment, and I'm really curious

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Imladris is the capital of High Elves faction.
    according to the developers they might separate Galadrim from Silvan Elves in future releases

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    I'm not saying it was a bad sword which it certainly wasn't but I think for an example Glamdring was more well-made than Gurthang. Its power was in its special material.
    Glamdring may also very well have been made of special material such as having mithril etc. alloyed into it etc. We don't know. Glamdring was also magical.

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by christof139 View Post
    Glamdring may also very well have been made of special material such as having mithril etc. alloyed into it etc. We don't know. Glamdring was also magical.
    Might be but Glaurung's blade had metal which was literally out of this world.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Did Gandalf have Glamdring all the way through the WotR? If so its yet another ommission by PJackson
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Did Gandalf have Glamdring all the way through the WotR? If so its yet another ommission by PJackson
    Mithrandir got Glamdring long before the war of the ring, it's in the second chapter of The Hobbit.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

The Edain's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Mithrandir got Glamdring long before the war of the ring, it's in the second chapter of The Hobbit.
    I have a feeling Mith you have a replica Glamdring hidden somwhere havent you

On-topic: These Elven Units look awesome!! can't wait to use them as one my first factions

Peace Out!
    |Windows 7 user||College Student|
    |Anime Fan||Xbox 360 Owner|Photoshop user|

Quote Originally Posted by The Edain View Post
    I have a feeling Mith you have a replica Glamdring hidden somwhere havent you

On-topic: These Elven Units look awesome!! can't wait to use them as one my first factions

Peace Out!
    Replica? He has the real thing... The things kids say these days...

Oh, i know where and when he got it... the troll hoard if memory serves but i couldn't remember if he had it the whole way through the WotR.

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Oh, i know where and when he got it... the troll hoard if memory serves
    Indeed.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Yeah, from the Troll hoard Gandalf and Thorin found their nasty, magical, Elf-wipe swords Beater and Biter. Just goes to show you how greedy and thieving Dwarves and Wizards were as poor old Tom, Bert and What's His face simply found the old rusty swords in some ruin no doubt. Mean old Gandalf wouldn't even let the trio of poor old Trolls have a nice quiet meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    Might be but Glaurung's blade had metal which was literally out of this world.
    Gurthang's blade. Yeah, gifted metorite iron from Illuvatar (Iluvatar, whatever).
    Last edited by Mithrandir; April 17, 2009 at 06:19 PM.

It's Ilúvatar...

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

It's Ilúvatar...
    Yeah, I don't check my spelling on a regular basis for some names, and I have the original stories plus HoME and many more books concerning the subject, but thanx for the Spelling Bee. I also don't change my keyboard settings to other languages' alphabets as it is a waste of time and effort in the main.

ILLuvatar is the orc spelling no doubt, since he was an ILL gotten fop.
    Last edited by christof139; April 17, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNinja View Post
    Well i don't know if this question has been asked before, but I don't really feel like searching 100 pages to find it.

According to my books on Middle Earth Lore, there are in fact three major distinctions of elves: the Noldorian, the High Elves, the Silvan Elves, Wood Elves or East Elves, and the Sindarian, the Grey Elves. Part of Elrond's heritage is Sindarian, and Leoglas, Celeborn and Thranduil are Grey Elves, so are they going to be absorbed by the Silvan elves, or will they play a minor faction, consisting of Imladris (Rivendell)?
    The division of elves is quite complicated, and there is also a lot of mixing.

Lindon had mostly Sindarian (high elves) and had some Nador elf refugess from years past. These Nandor are not exactly silvan, since silvan elves are generally considered Nandor elves who stayed east of misty mountains in the forests and intermingled with Avari elves.

Rivendell has Sindar and some Noldr elves (the last of the Noldor population except for
    Galadriel in Lorien by the end of the 3rd age) and some Nandor refugees like in Lindon.

Both Rivendell and lindon are mostly Eldar in composition.

However Mirkwood and Lorien are mostly Silvan in composition....And by Silvian again I mean mixed Nador and Avari elves, but the rulers were Sindar or Noldorian.

Last edited by OutlawVR; April 18, 2009 at 02:15 AM.

Senator

How long is elven archers range to compared longbow men in vanilia?

ISA Gunner's Avatar Campidoctor

Longbowmen had 180 in vanilla. I'm guessing either 200 or 220 for Elves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dwarves will have to run *really* fast... to catch and kill them.

Dwarves only hope is to have some dale cavalry mercs to hunt the archers...and trust in his armour!

BARDULIA!!!